Need ideas for SW camping food!

(5 Posts)
Titsywoo Wed 20-Jul-16 23:06:13

I'm off camping with a big group of friends plus kids in 9 days and I'm a bit worried about what I will eat. We usually do a big meal for everyone but I can't expect 18 other people to base their food on my diet so I might have to do something separately. Any ideas? Especially re getting my speed foods in without having to cart loads of fresh fruit and veg there. Luckily it's only 3 days but that's still 9 meals to preplan and only a camping stove to cook on - eek!

hs2478 Thu 21-Jul-16 13:01:39

I have not much to help you I'm afraid as I'm looking for the same. I'm going to a festival in a month and needs some ideas too.

:-(

thelionsleeps Thu 21-Jul-16 13:12:15

Me too although don't need to do cooking with anyone which must be the tricky bit. I do normally take cucumber, toms, carrot sticks and lettuce to go with meals and lots of fruit to nibble on.

A fry up would be good for breakfast rather than having to take lots of fruit and yoghut or cereal and milk. I sometimes do wm wraps toasted in the frying pan (syn for the wraps but not too bad) stuffed with bacon and cheese.

What about burgers as great if homemade or you can get some great low syn ones. Jacket pots done in the fire with beans and cheese. Big homemade chilli which is normally sw friendly or bolognase? Or pasta with cheese and chorizo (some chorizo doesn't need putting in the fridge).

Also something which I try and do and often fail is plan by syns alcohol and snack wise so I know what I want to stick with. So I will take slimming world friendly crisps and that is my lot - easier said than done after a few vinos.

I try and stay away from too many pasta n sauce or mug shots but they are quick and easy when camping too!

Have fun!

Char22thom Thu 21-Jul-16 13:56:46

When we go camping we usually have a bbq at least once, loads of free salad and heck sausages and burgers as they are so low in syns 😊

itmustbemyage Thu 21-Jul-16 14:26:56

I would try and minimise the damage by taking speed foods (that don't need to be cooked) ready chopped up for the first day in a cool bag (with ice packs) so 3 meals out of the 9 have some of the meals suggested up thread as small portions then add your chopped speed. On the other days have small portions of the meals then add picked beetroot or similar or jars of roasted peppers (the ones without oil) which don't need a fridge or to be cooked. Tinned tomatoes can be added to most meals for speed and foods like apples, and carrots can be taken along without the need for refrigeration over the three days and chopped on site.
Worse case scenario it's only 3 days off plan, and you can be super good the rest of the week at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now