Syns for a man

(21 Posts)
GasLightShining Sat 11-Jun-16 19:22:50

I joined SW about 13 weeks ago and have managed to lose 17 1/2lbs so far. The doctor has told my DH he needs to lose weight. He hasn't lost any weight since his last appointment last year. He goes on about portion control and then eats crap the rest of the evening as he didn't eat enough at dinner.

He won't come to a meeting but there is no reason why he can't follow it on his own at home with me. I wondered if men get extra syns as when I went to Weight Watchers years ago men got extra points.

Thanks

rugbychick Sat 11-Jun-16 19:40:01

As far as I know (and I'm female) he gets the same as everyone else doing SW, which is 15 syns a day. I'm currently doing SW

GasLightShining Sat 11-Jun-16 19:46:33

Thanks

He is busy reading the book at the moment so hoping it is sinking in!

Sukistjames Sat 11-Jun-16 19:47:18

Iirc a man gets 20 syns a day.

emwithme Sat 11-Jun-16 21:24:34

Men get 20 syns.

DontDeadOpenInside Sat 11-Jun-16 21:26:17

My DH goes to sw, he and all the other men there get 15 syns a day.

maygirl Sat 11-Jun-16 22:45:16

Info is here
slimmingworld.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2256966-can-heavier-members-have-more-syns-?b_id=1100

tabulahrasa Sun 12-Jun-16 11:07:07

It's 10 extra for men.

emmaluvseeyore Sun 12-Jun-16 12:30:08

Never knew I could get more syns as I'm over 16 stones! I have to say I don't think I'd lose any weight if I ate more. Why doesn't he try it with 15 and see how he gets on? My partner did it with me and has now reached his target.

DontDeadOpenInside Sun 12-Jun-16 15:40:08

I'm going to show dh he'll be most upset at all the syns he's been done out off 😂

GasLightShining Sun 12-Jun-16 22:52:06

I will tell him he can have 20 syns - it may make him feel better if he is allowed more than me!

I gave him the book to read and he is supposed to be starting tomorrow so we will see.

AlwaysTimeForWine Thu 16-Jun-16 07:53:02

He can have an extra 5-10 Syns a day. And depending on his start weight he could have more than that as well. Best to ask your consultant at group and they can give you the correct level for him.

GasLightShining Sat 18-Jun-16 23:15:16

I didn't think the consultant would tell me as he isn't paying.

tabulahrasa Sat 18-Jun-16 23:36:27

It's in the link that maygirl posted...that's the official guidance from slimming world.

DietTissues Mon 20-Jun-16 18:22:44

I get 15 syns and my DP gets 20, I thought it was because he's a man didn't realise it was because he's over 16 stone.

Just a thought, my friend did WW and cooked for her and her DP, he ended up losing weight as a result (and more than her which she was a bit miffed about haha) so if you are following SW and eat the same meals, would he not be following the plan by default?

GasLightShining Mon 20-Jun-16 22:48:29

I cook the evening meal for all of us and that is normally syn free or very low in points. The problem is breakfast, lunch and all the other crap. I've told him the syns for what he is eating and suggested instead of eating a few bits of fruit for lunch he has a ham/chicken salad sandwich. He can eat the fruit as a snack instead of the crap

He has lost no weight and can't be arsed to write anything down so obviously isn't keeping track. To be honest I think what he wants is for me to run it all for him but as far as I am concerned he is a big boy.

gadget1974 Wed 22-Jun-16 10:26:51

I've been going for 6 weeks and I am allowed up to 25 Syns a day - this I believe is because men's calorie intake is higher than women's.
If it helps him, tell him that I started at 17st3lb and 6 weeks later I am down to 15st9lb. I have a Gin & S.L tonic most evenings, a glass or two of wine on weekends, I eat well and apart from trying to do 5000 steps each day (very easy) do no exercise.
It is an easy to follow plan - and best of all you can have lots of steak!

GasLightShining Wed 22-Jun-16 23:28:12

Gadget - Wine, steak and no exercise is my norm and I am losing weight so he can see it can work.

I have to go thorough with him the syns he has had today because he cant be arsed to read it himself.

magz2000 Sun 20-Nov-16 07:30:26

Hi, I'm in the same boat, can't persuade DH to come to meetings. I was wondering if anyone knows if Men have the same healthy extra's as women?

tabulahrasa Sun 20-Nov-16 10:28:27

It's only the Syns that are different - of course he could use those extra Syns on things that are healthy extras though

cheapskatemum Sat 26-Nov-16 14:40:01

OP thanks for this thread, DH has just today agreed to follow SW plan with me. Would it be worth getting an online membership for your DH? Then he could look things up in his own time, weigh in privately etc. There's no way on earth my DH would ever go to group either. In fact they sound quite similar as DH will go without lunch, then snack on chocolate, pork pies etc. At the moment he's very motivated though and I don't know the answers to some of his questions. Shall we keep in touch, via this thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now