Sauces using quark ... Ideas please

(14 Posts)
ChesterFuckingDraws Sun 24-Apr-16 15:51:32

I've not used quark yet but bought some today and I have no idea what to do with it!!
DH mentioned fancying a steak with mushroom sauce, could I use quark for this? Any recipes?

ChessieFL Sun 24-Apr-16 15:55:50

Doesn't answer your question about sauces, but I add sweetener to quark and have it with fruit and mini meringues as a sort of Eton mess.

You can always add an Options sachet and a bit of sweetener to make a sort of chocolate mousse.

ChesterFuckingDraws Sun 24-Apr-16 16:01:04

Thank you, I didn't think of using it for sweet things, I've been missing a pudding so it's good to know it can be used for that!

emwithme Sun 24-Apr-16 16:27:40

I made a fab carbonara last night:

Bacon, chopped into bits (we used 8 trimmed rashers but the amount is up to you), couple of sliced onions, garlic all fried together, then stirred in 2/3 tub of quark and a little water, and added the pasta (and then mushrooms to my bit because DH doesn't like them)

One of the guys at group made a syn-free pepper sauce (c&p from our group facebook page)

Put half a crumbled up beef stock cube and a cup of water in a small pan with some finely chopped garlic and rosemary. Add whole pepper corns. (Also, chopped up mushroom is good). Bring to the boil and reduce down till there's not much liquid left. Remove from the heat and stir in two tablespoons of quark (don't add the quark on the heat or it'll go weird. It's weird enough already). Voila. Free pepper sauce.

Re sweet things: one of the ladies has made a trifle that looks gorgeous:

Pint of sugar free jelly put into a dish with frozen raspberries then in the fridge to set. When set 2 pots of banana and custard Mullerlight yoghurt on the top then topped with quark and sweetener, raspberries to decorate.

It's made a big bowl and all for 1 1/2 syns (for the jelly)

ChesterFuckingDraws Sun 24-Apr-16 16:35:21

Brilliant thank you. The carbonara sounds lovely, will give it a try tomorrow!

muminthecity Sun 24-Apr-16 16:43:07

I mix quark with a tbsp of pesto (2.5 syns), spread over a chicken breast and bake. It's delicious!

emwithme Sun 24-Apr-16 18:26:08

I've just made a mustard salad dressing for tomorrow's lunch (to go with the leftover roast beef) - the remaining 1/3 tub of quark with 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder (made up with the same amount of water) and then a couple of tablespoons of water stirred together until smooth.

Had this a couple of weeks ago (it's the sauce from this month's magazine to go with the Dutch meatballs) and it's really nice.

GreenMarkerPen Sun 24-Apr-16 18:31:18

quark is best in cheese cake grin

- instead of mayo in tuna-mayo? of generally instead of cream cheese.

Eminybob Sun 24-Apr-16 18:31:42

Not sauce but a good free recipe with quark is cannelloni.

Mix quark, fat free cottage cheese and defrosted frozen chopped spinach and stuff into cannelloni tubes. Pour over passata and bake.

ALemonyPea Sun 24-Apr-16 18:34:12

I made a mushroom and mustard sauce yesterday with philli, might work the same with quark.

Fry mushrooms in fry light, heat quark in micro for 20 secs, add to frying pan with mustard until heated, and put onto steak.

emwithme Sun 24-Apr-16 23:45:02

Green I use quark in my tuna pasta salads these days. Works well, especially if (like with a lot of the quark recipes) you make it a bit looser with some water first.

I didn't like quark last time I did SW but forced myself to use it a couple of times this time and actually it's not that bad.

molyholy Mon 25-Apr-16 23:52:32

Beautiful sauce on steak

fry mushrooms with veg stock cube and a shitload of pepper.

take it off the heat and add quark.

It is soooo nice

sjojolove Tue 26-Apr-16 07:32:02

I love quark with avocados. You mash avocado and add to quark then you season with whatever you like.

ChesterFuckingDraws Tue 26-Apr-16 17:04:03

Thanks for all the ideas,
molyholy do you use water too or just crumble the stock cube in dry and add the quark?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now