Does slimming world work if you haven't much to lose?

(9 Posts)
Alychloe Wed 22-Jul-15 20:08:47

Hi all! I joined SW on Sunday and have started off on the Extra Easy SP diet to try and shift some pounds. I am on day 4 and am absolutely loving it! I am so used to using diets such as "the Scarsdale diet", "the military diet" or the "5:2" as a quick resort to weight loss that SW to me is like a treat!

However I only have a stone to lose. I am 5'3 and currently weighing 9.10 which is a stone over what my comfortable weight is. Has anyone else only needed a small amount of weight to lose? And if so how long did it take you?

I am extremely active as I go to the gym 4 times a week and also consuming 0 syns a day. I'm just slightly apprehensive because as I said with most diets I've done I'm restricted on what I can eat so I am not sure whether this will work. I am also aware with this diet I won't drastically lose weight within two weeks which I am happy with but I would like to get down in around 6 weeks before my cruise!

Any advice or inputs would be much appreciated smile

emmaluvseeyore Thu 23-Jul-15 11:15:05

I can't comment on only losing a little bit as I have lots to lose, but I have found I actually lose more weight when I up my syns. I started off thinking I needed to keep my syns as low as possible, but when I started having at least 5 per day, I lost more weight. Might be something to consider. I think it is all part of getting a balanced diet.

fraggle84 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:42:22

Definitely agree that you need to use Syns

At our group anyone who hasn't has not lost much weight then when added Syns they lost consistently

5 to 15 is the recommendation

LaurieFairyCake Thu 23-Jul-15 20:48:55

It will be much slower for you as you're already at a perfect bmi. I found that the body holds onto a natural weight when I was slim and it was a bugger to shift weight to be buff/extra slim grin

I upped my weight training instead to get definition but I didn't actually do more weight wise than go back and forth over the same few pounds.

Tequilashotfor1 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:51:50

Yes to laurie

I needed to shift six pounds and I had to change my training. I also stopped weighing myself and took measurements instead as I could see the loss better

Alychloe Fri 24-Jul-15 10:35:45

Ok great thanks for the tips all! Will maybe try and incorporate 5 syns in after my weigh in Sunday! Fingers crossed!

MarvinKMooney Sat 25-Jul-15 18:56:52

I'm 5' 8" and was 11st 11 lb when I started - just on the verge of overweight on the bmi charts.

I've been on sw for 12 weeks and am now 10st 12 lb. I lost a couple of lbs a week for first month or so and probably averaging at a lb a week. Had 2 weeks where I stayed the same . I'd like to get to 10.5st and then see how I feel.

I'm probably averaging around 8-10 syns a day. I've always cooked from scratch so I've needed a few tweaks: cut out oil, butter, cheese, cream etc. I eat loads of fruit anyway, but have upped the veg / salad. No toast in the morning, no sandwiches at lunch.

Eating fruit and 0% greek yoghurt for breakfast, and cous cous with salad and chicken, tuna or salmon for lunch.

The best bit is that I havent felt hungry or deprived, and I'm not craving the things I thought I'd miss (bread cheese and wine!). I wish I'd done this years ago. smile

MarvinKMooney Sat 25-Jul-15 19:01:27

Worth Also mentioning That I commute by bike approx 20 miles a week and walk everywhere if I'm not cycling (I don't drive). 10 years ago I used to do weights a lot and I was definitely more toned and looked slimmer than I am now at the same weight. I need to get back into that ...

neeta06 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:12:20

So is it best to loss weight first then do weights confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now