SW Smash recipes

(7 Posts)
PicInAttic Tue 07-Jul-15 21:41:46

Does anyone know if the Smash/own brand rehydrated potato recipes (scones, pizza etc) could be made equally well with 'real' mash?
Am having a go at the old green days version of the diet and quite enjoying it but am a bit hmm about the chemicals/artificialness in a lot of the recommended foods.
Also, are they tasty or nasty?
Thanks.

BlueberryMuffins76 Wed 08-Jul-15 18:48:54

I've got no idea about using real potato, but I have made smash pizza and it was alright - just don't expect it to be like real pizza! Also be aware that using potato like this is a tweak and so should be synned smile

PicInAttic Wed 08-Jul-15 19:27:17

Thank you!
Also ... should all tweaks be synned? And how exactly if a swap is with a free food? Is it because of overeating the tweaked version?
Sorry for more (probably basic) questions!

DreamRabbit Wed 08-Jul-15 21:32:57

From the SW site:

Are couscous cake, Smash pizzas, scones or smash used as a coating for chicken and rice pudding made with diet soda Free?

You might be disappointed to hear that they’re not.

When we ‘tweak’ Free Food, it’s usually because we’re using it in a way it wasn't intended to be used – for instance, making couscous into cake, Smash into pastry or dough, or pasta into tortilla chips. When Free Food is used as part of a meal, it’s satisfying and nutritious. When it’s being tweaked, it’s usually to be eaten as a snack, so it’s a way of adding extra calories throughout the day, or sticking with old habits without counting Syns, and that’s when it can be damaging to weight loss.

When Free Foods are being used in a way they’re not meant to be used, in particular as a replacement for a food that isn't Free, we give them the Syn value of the food they’re replacing.

So for instance – if you’re using couscous or any other ingredient in place of flour to make a cake, the couscous will be given the same Syn value as flour. If you’re making chickpeas into peanuts, we’ll count them as peanuts, and if you’re making lasagne sheets into tortilla chips, we’ll count them as tortilla chips (low-fat tortilla chips – of course!).

HTH smile My consultant always says that if you're getting away with tweaks to the plan, then great - but if you're not getting the weight loss you want, that would be the first thing to look at.

If you wanted a pizza, you could use a (synned) wrap or pitta as a base. Some are even HEBs. Bet it would be nicer than Smash too!

WorktoLive Thu 09-Jul-15 13:52:57

Anything that uses smash made up as normal will work exactly the same with real mashed potato.

I think some of the 'tweak' recipes use it with no or less water and these are the ones that might not work and should be synned as it is less filling than intended.

But potato scones (mashed potato thickened with a little flour and fried is as old as the hills as a 'leftover use up eat with bacon for breakfast recipe') is not a SW recipe and will also work fine with normal mash, but you will need to syn the flour.

If you want 'pizza' another way to do it that is legitimally free, as long as you count the cheese as a HEA choice, is to slice a chicken breast through the middle, flatten it out, and cover with pizza toppings (home made free tomato sauce, passata or tom puree, mozarella and ham, mushrooms, peppers etc).

PicInAttic Thu 09-Jul-15 20:33:14

Am veggie so would go with the wrap/pitta rather than the chicken but liking the idea of non-smash pizza and the proper potato scones. At mo would prob get away with tweaks as have only just started. Have gone from ridiculous amounts of choc, crisps, bread and take-out food to much healthier eating but can see how easily I would be able to start sabotaging myself!
Thanks smile

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 09-Jul-15 20:37:42

The tweak deffinition annoys me. Potatos are ment to be crisps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now