Any vegetarians doing the new SP plan? And if so...

(28 Posts)
ElizaPickford Wed 10-Jun-15 16:14:49

...then please tell me wtf you are eating?! grin

tabulahrasa Wed 10-Jun-15 16:18:51

I try and do the odd day, but it's too hard to do more than that.

Eggs and quorn things with veg mostly and loads of cherries, lol.

ElizaPickford Wed 10-Jun-15 16:24:19

Sucks though, because mostly the quorn stuff has syns doesn't it (if not pieces/mince) so you end up using your syns on that if you have sausages/steaks etc? I can see that it will probably work, partly because I do lose weight if I drop the carbs, but probably because you're pretty much down to eggs and leaves! <sigh> Will give it a go and see what happens... smile

tabulahrasa Wed 10-Jun-15 16:30:42

All the supermarkets near me have the free quorn sausages and there's pretend turkey burgers that are free, one of the chilled beef burgers are free, peppered steaks, some of the bacon and the cold meat style things are free so there are a few choices, but yeah pretty much eggs and leaves...

That's why I only do the odd day, lol.

ElizaPickford Wed 10-Jun-15 17:04:38

Can't really fail then, can it? wink

Rox19 Wed 10-Jun-15 17:37:11

What's the sp plan? Is that the standard one?

I'm finding it really hard to find something to eat, other than boiled eggs, tuna on a plain jacket potato or quorn meatballs with tasteless pasta. Have 3 DC under 5 so don't have loads of prep time and as you say all quorn is syns.

how do other veggies manage? Need to buy some fresh salmon but it's really expensive (and tasteless without sauce).

Do you put garlic and balsamic vinegar on everything? Lol

First week and only lost 1lb hmm

tabulahrasa Wed 10-Jun-15 17:41:06

The SP plan is the low carb plan, which is hard going without meat or fish.

The normal plan I don't find hard at all, you do have to cook though, plain quorn is free, so chilli, curries, Bolognese are all fine and pulses are all free as well.

annielostit Wed 10-Jun-15 17:52:28

When meat eaters follow the sp plan they make cauliflower rice, courgette spaghetti to go with the chilli, bolognaise & curries and add veg in. If this helps.

ElizaPickford Wed 10-Jun-15 18:40:12

TBH I still do green days, and they work when I stick to it utterly religiously, but I never get big losses (and fall off the wagon a fair bit.) So thought I'd try the low carb thing to see if it works faster, but low carb veg diets are a bit grim and make me sad.

annielostit Wed 10-Jun-15 19:01:02

Eliza, totally agree low carb is miserable diet.pasta & potatoes make a happy space.smile
IMO, its nonsense. If you cut out carbs, in effect your going to cut out a good few hundred calories. Your going to lose weight, simple really.
The same with cauli rice etc. Why eat that when you can eat the real stuff????grin

ElizaPickford Wed 10-Jun-15 19:08:33

Bloody cauli rice. I fry (light) up an onion and some cumin seeds and turmeric to try to make it feel more like something nice, but it's not the same... That's why I keep ballsing the whole thing up, I can't bear the sad faux meals. I'd rather have the real thing, but less, or none at all, but that's where I keep going wrong, clearly. confused

tabulahrasa Wed 10-Jun-15 20:15:39

I tried cauliflower rice...it was the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten.

SW quiche with salad is SP and it works as a meal, but it is just eggs and leaves, lol.

There's a sausage casserole on the website that I make with the free quorn sausages and that's SP, it's got a load of veg in it so it's an eat alone thing.

Oh, a cooked breakfast, stick a load of tomatoes and mushrooms in and you can have sausage, egg, bacon and I think beans.

Yellow split pea soup should I think be SP, carrots, onions, celery, yellow split peas and stock.

That's about all the ones I use because I can't be doing with things that should have carbs like curry with no carbs or pretend carbs.

Normanisanisland Wed 10-Jun-15 21:05:37

I use the free quorn ham in quiches and fritattas, free quorn sausages in pasta/fry ups/with mash and gravy, lots of veggie chilli and quorn chicken pieces into curries and mexican. I use the 0% cottage cheese instead of butter on jacket potatoes and the tinned chick pea Dahl from Aldi is free too. smile I also do the spiralised courgette spaghetti which I love! Not sure if that is all suitable for SP days as haven't tried those yet so sorry if not smile

Parrish Sat 13-Jun-15 20:14:05

I think it's hard to do when veggie. I try to eat a homemade SP bean casserole with veg or salad. Or Quorn bolognaise with courgette spaghetti.

Or sometimes I eat Quorn burgers with salad (not P food but near as dammit) for an almost SP day or a can of old El paso refried beans with cheese and home made salsa and salad (again refried beans not a P food but near as dammit).

But yes otherwise eggs and leaves!

ElizaPickford Sun 14-Jun-15 08:40:51

I've done a couple of days now and it's fairly restrictive but not too bad. It seems to be working so far. I've sort of cheated a bit - I used Asda's chickpea dal as a P food (like you say, probably close enough?) and roasted a cauliflower, rather than making cauli rice, which was lovely. I like the refried beans idea too. Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to stick with it for a week and see how it goes...

ThatsNotEvenAWord Sun 14-Jun-15 09:17:08

Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages are also free smile

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 15-Jun-15 09:03:34

I will be trying the Linda McCartney Mushroom & Spinach burgers today (1.5 syns) tonight will tell you how they are.
Also bought her Chana Masala burgers which I'll be trying later this week. They don't have either of these in my local supermarkets - but they did have them in a Waitrose which is quite a distance to my house.

ElizaPickford Mon 15-Jun-15 11:41:47

OOooh, I've not heard of either of those Linda Mc things SheHas and am just doing my online shop now, I might see if I can find them. 1.5 syns is pretty good! Let me know what you think of them. grin

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 15-Jun-15 18:27:51

That burger wasn't very nice tasted like wet socks with no seasoning :/

ElizaPickford Tue 16-Jun-15 16:28:16

Oh, that doesn't sound good! I'll steer clear then!

lighteningirl Tue 16-Jun-15 19:53:54

I do veggie SP and have loads of beans lentils peas frittata with roasted veg swede/butternut squash chips etc and Rox19 I roast salmon fillets with a slice of lemon/ and or ginger and a splash of soy sauce wrap them loosely in foil you definitely don't need sauces

Perfectlypurple Wed 17-Jun-15 13:34:48

I love the Linda McCartney Rosemary and red onion sausages. A lot of the queen stuff is free or low syn. I often have the Rosemary sausages with a pack of tilda egg fried rice which is 3 and a half syns so a low syn meal. Or I have pasta with primula light or Kerry low low cheese spread which is also nice and filing. I struggle with having variety but I am used to eating a lot of the same food so I do manage. I am going to give courgette spaghetti a try soon as I have a spiralizer. I have had it for ages but not got round to using it. I fancy trying the cauliflower rice but don't fancy the faff of doing it so I think I will buy some ready made from tesco when I want to give it a go.

I try to have as much free food as possible to fill me up. I did really well for the first 5 weeks then with one thing and another I haven't been sticking to it for a few weeks but I will get back to it tomorrow and I have started preparing my food for work.

hugoagogo Wed 17-Jun-15 13:43:29

Since when are salmon and tuna vegetarian? confused

ElizaPickford Thu 18-Jun-15 20:47:04

grin hugoagogo - indeed! Def easier to do as a pescatarian, but as a vegetarian I'm finding it a bit tough...

applesareredandgreen Thu 18-Jun-15 22:53:07

You can eat beans as the protein part of SP. So you could make a vege chilli using quorn mince peppers, kidney beans, tomatoes and have with a big plate of veg eg green beans, broccoli.

Mixed bean casserole (any tinned beans any veg eg mushrooms, peppers, aubergines, stock cube, passage, whatever flavouring you like) then instead of potato you could roast butter nut squash chunks with fry light, or mash swede or celeriac.

The potato substitutes are also nice with low fat quorn or other free sausages eg the LM rosemary and onion ones.

Quorn cottage pie? (Quorn, onion, chopped carrots, chopped celery, passage, stock cube topped with mashed swede) or you could do similar with beans - replace the quorn mince with drained mixed beans, top with slices of swede like a hotpot. Serve with green beans or roast butter nut squash.

Slimming world hummus (mash tinned chicken peas with garlic lemon juice, water to get the right consistency, salt and pepper) with crudités as a snack.

Bean salad using fat free salad dressing and lots of chopped salad veg mixed in (tomato, peppers, steamed and cooled chopped green beans) is a good lunch or you could make soup (loads of free vege, onion, carrot, celery, passata, stock Cube, water depending on how much you are making, then add Half a can of beans, blend then add the rest for texture)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now