Starting Slimming World today

(133 Posts)
2fat4that Mon 23-Mar-15 16:21:45

Hi,
I hope it's okay to start a new thread here. I have followed Slimming World in the past, but in the past year have put on 2 stone, so I'm going to start again and try to lose the 2 stone and maybe even get to my ideal weight by losing another 7 lbs. That would put me at 10 stone and I'm 5 foot 7 - if I weigh less than 10 stone I look gaunt in the face.

I've got the books from last time and I don't like attending the meetings, I'll see how I get on, might join online if I think I need to.

Today I've had 2 slices of rye bread with a little butter and cheddar for breakfast (as my healthy A and B), a baked potato with a little grated cheddar and butter for lunch and dinner will be one sausage with a pile of mashed swede and some brussel sprouts. I had a snack this afternoon of an orange Club biscuit and 8 grapes. I might also have a ryvita - I need to get to grips with counting syns, as I can't remember how many syns things have so will have to look them up.

I'm going to try not to eat after 7 p.m (we have our evening meal when dh gets in at 6.30).

I've also done 15 minutes of exercise dvd (breaking myself in gently!) and walked the dog for half an hour.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 23-Mar-15 18:13:29

You sound like you're in a good place. I've been going strong 4st 9lb down just entering a maintaining phase (setting a target at group so its free). I've got holidays and events so a busy couple of months i just want to try to balance the inevitable overeating phases. Then i'd like to loose another 7lb to 1st and be truely happy with my weight by Christmas2015.

Looking through your food for today...

Roughly its 2 syns for a level teaspoon fat (oil or butter). Thats 6 syns for a level tablespoon.

Cheddar is 5 syns for 25g or 30g for a healthy a (40g lighter cheddar)

Sausage standard pork 5.5 syn

Orange club biscuit 6ish at a guess.

Rye bread is 5 syns for 50g or 1 slice from an 800g (normal sized) loaf for a healthy B.

Ryvita are 1.5 syn each or 4 for a healthy B.

From a syn point of view most people appear to try to stick to 10 or less a day for a 1lbplus/ week loss.

Totting up your syns....

Breakfast if one slice rye and the cheddar are your healthy A and B then
Approx 4 for bread and 2 for butter.

Lunch 2 syns for the butter and maybe 3? For the cheddar if it really was a little bit.

Snack 6? For club biscuit (i haven't looked it up)

Dinner 5.5 syns for the standard? sausage.

Add a potential ryvita snack of 1.5 syns assuming syn free topping.

What about drinks any splashes of milk in tea/ coffee at a syn each?

I make that very roughly 24 syns. Which for me is over what I can have on a regular basis for a loss. We're all different and it does take a bit of getting into.

Looking at where things could have been different on your meal plan. One bit of bread with baked beans, scrambled egg, bacon medallion, cherry tomatos, mushrooms and worcestershire sauce. No butter and it would be a syn free meal.

Jacket potatos are a great meal but the fillings can easily be synful. I like light cottage cheese with chive (cheap in Aldi), prawns and extra light mayo (1/2 syn per tablespoon), tuna with sweetcorn and extra light mayo, chilli leftovers from the freezer (made with 5% or less fat mince), bolognese leftovers from the freezer, baked beans (sometimes with grated cheese on, i bend the rules and split my healthy a to be 20g grated lighter cheddar and 175ml skimmed milk)

Snack some breakfast bars count as half a healthy B or 3 syn Aldi benefit do a light chocolate one thats not bad. Fruit is always good - but doesn't necessarily hit the spot. I like mini milk ice lollies at 1.5syn.

Dinner sausages are a high syn item. Slimming world in collaboration with iceland do a range now they sell syn free sausages, meatballs and various syn free freezer meals. I've not tried any of them.

Evening snack what have you got that you can have on your ryvita? The dreaded muller lights are still a free choice, mug shots less than 1% are generally free.

Its all about choices and you'll know which ones are right for you to hit the craving spot. I'm a crisp lover. I syn up a packet of salt and vinegar hoola hoop puffs as a snack (3.5syns) because thats what works for me.

I hope that this isn't too much information overload when you're just getting back into it.

2fat4that Mon 23-Mar-15 18:24:09

Congratulations on reaching your target weight.

Heavens, I was way out, wasn't I?! Luckily I didn't have a ryvita and I don't take milk or sugar in coffee, just drink it black. Also the rye bread was 1 slice cut in half.

Tomorrow I'll be more careful. Thanks for the alternative suggestions.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 23-Mar-15 18:39:27

I wouldn't say way out. You've taken action and made your mind up to do something about things. Thats a massive step and getting in the mindset is the biggest step to being in control. Its just one or two minor changes now that'll make all the difference.

I love my cheese too. I used to have what i thought was a healthy jacket and salad with a blob of butter and handful of grated cheese.

As a very rough rule of thumb 1 syn is 20cal. I find it helps if you're in the mood for a snack and weighing up options.

I'm not quite in the target mindset yet. I tend to fall off plan if I have more than one drink so need to learn to get the balance right whilst not gaining faster than I've lost.

2fat4that Mon 23-Mar-15 19:14:51

I'm wondering if my booklet is no longer valid. It has extra easy, green and original choices. I'd worked out that as a green day I would be on 17 syns if I took 2 from a and 2 from b, which it says you can do ..

I need to have a look online I think. I can't afford to sign up until pay day, so will muddle on for now though.

Thanks again for your help smile

I might have poached egg on Rye toast for breakfast tomorrow, and make some chilli to freeze in portions for baked potatoes.

We don't have sausages often, but they needed eating as I'd defrosted them yesterday. Not sure what we'll have tomorrow - I have chicken breasts in the freezer.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 23-Mar-15 20:32:45

17 sounds a lot better. I hadn't thought about red or green so I've no doubt you're right.

The latest plan is Extra Easy still but instead of success express the fast loss/ kick start loss plan is called SP for Speed and Protein where basically you just eat veg and lean meat no carbs except 2 HB and you get 1 A.

Not a lot has changed in the book really a few minor tweeks to syn values, oil is no longer a b choice but theres nothing that should stop your current book working for you.

2fat4that Mon 23-Mar-15 20:43:13

That's good news. I'll see how I get on with my old book then.

Is it normal baked beans that are syn free? If so, I'll be quite happy with baked beans and poached egg for breakfast smile

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 23-Mar-15 21:25:44

Normal tinned baked beans are free. They're a bit of a cupboard staple here now. Closest I get to a ready meal.

2fat4that Mon 23-Mar-15 21:28:52

Great smile I'll stock up.

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 13:48:49

Today I've had baked beans and 2 poached eggs on 50g of rye bread (b) for breakfast and a jacket potato with 28g Cheddar (a) for lunch. Dinner will be something with mince, probably chilli. How's it looking so far? If I use lean mince, onion, chopped tomatoes, red and green peppers in the chilli, will it be free, and how much rice can I have with it?

GraysAnalogy Tue 24-Mar-15 13:51:53

Well done. The meal you described is free. Rice is free, but i would have a handful of it and instead fill up on a superfree food.

List of recipes for you www.minimins.com/archive/f-150.html

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 14:35:56

Thanks Grays.

I have to admit however, that I'm hungry still, so will have a hunt for a free snack ...

Thanks for the link to the recipes, I'll have a browse ..

GraysAnalogy Tue 24-Mar-15 15:01:00

You never need to be hungry on slimming world. There's always something you can have.

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 15:27:29

I just don't have much in the house [wails] ... Need to shop!

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 15:42:24

Quick question: as I'm using the older book, I'm unsure about Healthy Extras A and B - is it still the case that you can have 1 (or possibly 2) H.Ex.A and 2 x H.Ex.B every day? Or does it depend which plan you're following - I tend to be green, but tbh my main problem with SW is that I can never work out which I should be on! confused

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 15:54:56

Another question (sorry) - does anyone know if there is a hot chocolate drink that is low fat but without sweeteners? I really don't like the taste of sweeteners, but would like something a bit lower in syns than normal hot chocolate for a choc fix every now and again?

foofooyeah Tue 24-Mar-15 16:13:17

Hi, I just re-started at Slimming World yesterday.
They no longer do the green and red days its all just food optimising,
You get 1 x Healthy Extra A and 1 x Healthy Extra B (not 2)
That's basically your dairy and grains.

I need to go shopping too! And its too close to payday!

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 16:24:37

Foofoo same problem here, with regard to pay day.

Thanks, at some point I'll sign up online and get the new stuff if I need it.

GraysAnalogy Tue 24-Mar-15 16:25:36

It's all basically the same really. Just your free foods, your HEa and HEb. I have quite a few good links favourited so I'll post them in a bit if you like.

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 16:31:29

Yes please Grays smile

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 24-Mar-15 17:18:52

For hot chocolate I don't think you can't beat using your healthy a for skimmed milk, heating in the microwave and syning dark chocolate to melt into it (small green and blacks is 4 syn) maybe topped with a swirl of low fat squirty cream. In all about 5 syns for a creamy chocolaty drink that hits the chocolate spot. I suppose you could make a half mug for 2 syns to reduce the syns!

With extra easy its one a and one b plus unlimited pasta, potatos, rice etc 1/3 plate veg.

Sounds like your heads getting in it. That looks like a syn free day so leaves a bit of room for a snack of something you've already got in the cupboards.

Ryvita are 1.5 if you've got anything to put on them.

GraysAnalogy Tue 24-Mar-15 17:43:59

Sweet treat recipes www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/209088-my-wise-biscuit-cake-dessert-sweets-recipes.html

Recipe archive www.minimins.com/archive/f-150.html

Aldi shopping list www.slimmingworldsurvival.com/aldi/

Asda shopping list www.slimmingworldsurvival.com/asda/

Tesco shopping list www.slimmingworldsurvival.com/tescoshoppinglist/

Catalogue of indian recipes www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/308253-catalogue-indian-recipes-bhuna-jalfrezi-balti-madras-korma-many-more.html

GraysAnalogy Tue 24-Mar-15 17:49:59

You can have these for your Healthy Extra Grains

Pinterest is your friend https://uk.pinterest.com/ghartley123/slimming-world/

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 24-Mar-15 18:43:49

Fab list grays. Thanks

2fat4that Tue 24-Mar-15 20:47:26

Misformum, thanks, that sounds lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now