Mullerlight alternative?

(11 Posts)
Ruthselina Fri 02-Aug-13 16:02:27

flavouring your own yogurt takes seconds not even minutes! A sprinkling of sweetener and a drop of whatever flavouring. Beware of almond essence though - it's very strong. If you have any 'international food' stores locally, then look out for coconut food flavouring. Vanilla essence is a regular for me but I must say though that rose water is still my fave - 99p for a tall bottle and it only takes a few drops to flavour a dish of yogurt. Orange flower water is a bit too perfumed.

Mummyoftheyear Wed 31-Jul-13 07:19:09

I've just bought an ice cream maker (reduced to £22 in Tesco, £29 in Lakeland I think). It's made my summer! Try using it with fat free yogurt and adding a bit of frozen fruit n sweetener. Better than a muller any day! Takes only 20 mins to make a batch if you freeze bowl over night first.

Actually flavouring your own yoghurt is a great option. It takes a little bit of time (one-two minutes), but it could become really tasty, and you can easily track the calories you are consuming. And you can have different tastes - honey, different kinds of jam.

1stMrsFrugal Mon 29-Jul-13 09:15:50

I eat fat free fromage frais (I find it thicker and creamier than fat free yog) - mix with chopped banana, strawberries, peaches, apricots etc and if you leave it for a bit the fruit juice flavours and sweetens it.

Ruthselina Wed 24-Jul-13 16:46:43

I flavour natural yogurt. Tesco market value is free on SW, although asda smart price has some syns (never sure why). I'm buying Lidl low-fat greek yogurt at the moment. £1.58 for a 1kg tub/bucket - last all week. That's something like 1 syn per 100g, but calorie content is similar to fat free natural yogurts. Try flavouring with rosewater and adding sweetener if you like turkish delight flavour.

margarethamilton Wed 17-Jul-13 23:15:36

Activia 0% fat are free and suitable for vegetarians.

Erato Wed 17-Jul-13 21:44:35

Any yoghurt that isn't described as "thick" or "creamy" or "rich" will generally not have gelatine in it. Rachel's or Yeo Valley for example. Lately there seems to be a trend for manufacturers adding guar gum or gelatine to make the yoghurt thicker (yoghurt created properly in the tub with the cultures would be thick - obviously they don't do that as it would take too long and cost too much).

servingwench Wed 17-Jul-13 21:32:44

Oh how annoying! My dd is a veg and I've never thought t check yogurt!! Are the Shape Zero free and veggie?

margarethamilton Tue 16-Jul-13 22:25:26

Gelatine. I've never understood why! Think Activia are ok but need to check.

servingwench Mon 15-Jul-13 22:04:04

What do they contain that a vegetarian can't eat?

margarethamilton Sun 14-Jul-13 07:20:20

As I'm vegetarian, I can't eat Muller products. What syn free alternatives are there? Apart from flavouring my own natural yogurt?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now