SLIMMING WORLD #4

(1000 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Jul-13 21:55:47

welcome one and all - oldies (and yo yo'ers like me ) and any newbies

'looks at sunshine and then swimming cossie, then herself'

higgle Sun 06-Oct-13 14:32:42

I'm quite shocked that class leaders are putting pressure on in this way. In my group most people don't set a target and there are always some who have birthdays etc. coming up who actually say their target is not to put on. Most people say 1 lb. Maybe that is why the group is bursting at the seams at the moment, the members are very comfortable with our lovely leader.

Darkesteyes Sun 06-Oct-13 17:24:53

YY higgle and Summer.
Summer i see youve come across it too. I think its the wrong attitude for consultants to take.
It could cause people to develop eating disorders Its simply not on. There are people being pressured to lose 2 to 4 pounds every week and the human body simply doesnt work that way.

We got handed out leaflets last week asking whether we want to become consultants.

Couple of questions on the form.
Would you enjoy being trained in nutrition and the psychology of slimming and gain the diploma.

(IMO they need to be trained in the PHYSIOlogy of the human body too.)

Are you happy with your weight loss so far and within 2 stones of the healthy weight range.

Well getting down to 12 and a half stone would be good for me and it will do considering i used to be 21 stone.

THe doc i saw said she hates diet clubs for the reasons i have cited i this thread. She actually suggested that i go in and get weighed and not to listen to the pressure I may start going in and getting weighed but not staying to class.

What really pisses me off is that sometimes weight will fluctuate Its just the way the human body is But you will get asked "what went wrong" if you gain half a pound or a pound.

Because when the diet is working Slimming World is fabulous But when its not due to the simple physiology of weight fluctuation then the fault seems to be laid at the customers door.

Minimammoth Sun 06-Oct-13 19:06:01

interesting discussion folks and I agree, bodies and metabolic rates vary a lot, also digestive systems and intolerances make a difference. I know if I eat foods that I know I do digest well, I end up bloated and gaining up to 4 lbs. I also think we do need to keep up our omega 3. Especially if you are nearing or over menopause. I was happy to lose 4 lbs first week but since then it has been 1lb, Half lb etc.
I think my body is slow to note changes. Probably gain this week, have been to a wedding.

Fairygen Sun 06-Oct-13 20:27:24

I lost 2 this week, so -5 more for my 2 stone award.

I get really pissed off with the whole setting a target for next week rubbish. Our consultant is lovely, but sometimes she pushes for a number when people say they'd be happy with anything. I refuse to say more than 1lb, even if I secretly want more!

A couple of times I've noticed that people have wanted 3 or 4lbs loss, only lose 1.5 or 2, and then get asked what went wrong!!? I personally think that -2lbs after you've been following the plan for a while is bloody brilliant!!

As for the consultant being a healthy weight, we've had some who are definitely way more than 2 stone over a healthy weight!

Darkesteyes Sun 06-Oct-13 21:27:03

YY Fairy I refuse to say more than one pound a week and thats what i will keep on doing even when im 2 pounds off of losing a stone.

Darkesteyes Sun 06-Oct-13 21:27:43

A couple of times I've noticed that people have wanted 3 or 4lbs loss, only lose 1.5 or 2, and then get asked what went wrong!!?

Thats disgusting. angry

Darkesteyes Sun 06-Oct-13 21:29:49

Thanks for the tip about omega 3 Mini I didnt realise that. Im 40 and seem to be on a 14 to 21 day cycle

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Mon 07-Oct-13 09:47:56

Stayed the same this week sad

Darkesteyes Mon 07-Oct-13 18:13:07

gin that happens sometimes Dont be hard on yourself thanks

im expecting to stay the same too even though ive power walked my arse off.

holidaysarenice Tue 08-Oct-13 01:39:01

I was down 1, which was fine for what I have eaten. I want 1lb a week from here to christmas!! Fingers crossed.

Churmy123 Tue 08-Oct-13 08:37:10

My SW consultant is lovely and has full classes every week. I love staying to group and we have a laugh! She does go round the group asking how people have done but I've never felt pressurised to lose more.

Darkesteyes you commented that you didn't think my meals were filling. But thats the point we are all different. I think I am eating enough and don't feel hungry or deprived. My average weekly weight loss is 2.5lbs but I think thats partly due to the amount of exercise I do. On average I do 5 hours a week of high intensity cardio and 1/2 hours low intensity. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetable but obviously not everyone likes fruit and like you find it 'upsets' their stomach.

I suppose its all about finding out what works for the individual. And a good SW leader should know this and promote this! I always set my weekly target at 2.5lbs but I wouldn't be disappointed with a half a pound loss. But I would be disappointed with a gain because for me that would mean I had not followed the plan. But I would just start the next day with a postive frame of mind and forget all about the previous week. When I get nearer my target then I do expect my weekly weight loss to drop to maybe a pound or half a pound a week. I'm fine with that.

I need to lose weight, not because of how I look, but because it is affecting my health and I want to be able to run around with my kids for many years to come and not get out of breath. SW and exervcise is what works for me.

Churmy123 Tue 08-Oct-13 08:41:28

Forgot to put what I'd be eating today:

Breakfast: large fruit salad - banana, apple, grapes, strawberries and a Hi-Fi bar
Dinner: Homemade vegetable soup, packet of walkers stars crisps, yogurt
Tea: spicy chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, cous cous and roasted vegetables
Snacks: banana, apple, Hi-Fi bar, tea, coffee, diet coke, water

Darkesteyes Tue 08-Oct-13 14:24:48

Thats great Churmy. SW and excsersise is what im doing but my weight is only crawling off All i can do is power walk I am unable to do anything else due to my being a 38K and i havent found a sports bra yet.

And ive had to stop a lot of the superfree fruit because it gives me colic.
The doctor was fuming when she saw my food diary.

this is the list she gave me.

EAT
melon apples pears strawberries grapes.
AVOID
oranges satsumas tangerines mango kiwi raspberries lemons plums grapefruit starfruit.

just been on the fb page and theres massive losses of 6 pounds a week or more.
its taken me six weeks to lose 7 and a half pounds. WITH EXCERSISE.

The doctor though did tell me to ignore what everyone else was doing and not to compare myself to them. Its bloody hard to do that in that sort of environment though.

IN week 2 i ate LOADS of superfree food and excsersised and still only lost a pound. and had colic as well Wonderful But doc also told me bloating from this sort of thing shows on the scales so its not doing me any good eating all this "superfree" stuff.

Churmy123 Tue 08-Oct-13 14:54:44

I'm really sorry that it's not working for you Darkesteyes. And it is very hard not to feel bad when everyone else in the group has bigger losses than you. Maybe it's just not the 'diet' for you? Do you go to a group just for the weigh in? Have you ever used 'My fitness pal'? I've heard lots of good things about it from friends who don't want to pay.

I have tried to go it alone many times before but it just doesn't work for me.

I hope you find something that works for you :-)

Minimammoth Tue 08-Oct-13 18:25:59

Well I am stunned. Been to weigh in and have only put on half a pound. I have had a weekend away at sons wedding, so champagne, cake, etcetera. Also a friends birthday dinner yesterday. I am just going to keep following the plan. Darkeyes, I can put on 4 lbs overnight if I eat some foods, for me it's nightshade family. It always takes ages for my digestive system to settle way more than a week. Your doc sounds very supportive.

Fairygen Tue 08-Oct-13 19:23:25

darkest, I feel your frustration but stick with it. I normally lose 1-1.5lbs a week (when others lose loads). All those 1lbs add up and before you know it you'll have lost a stone, then 1 and a half.........

I work towards half stone mini target amounts. I daren't think about the whole amount, or I'd give up!

Darkesteyes Tue 08-Oct-13 23:49:00

Well i stayed the same this week. but my clothes are looser so i seem to be losing inches.

Im going to stick with it though. You should have seen her face when i unfurled....yes... unfurled my excersise diary. Ive stuck to plan apart from the stuff my doctor has banned and excsersised my arse off. My excsersise diary is like a long fax (for those who remember fax machines) im doing my very best and thats all i can do.
One of the other members has a takeaway pizza every Tuesday night and is losing quicker than me. Ive not touched a takeaway for two months and im also teatotal My period is due soon and i seem to lose more when im on.
Cant do no more than im doing or give up any more than ive given up. My doctor says my weight loss is normal though and not to worry about the big losses of others. And i suppose as its slower i can be confident it is weight that im losing not water.

Darkesteyes Tue 08-Oct-13 23:55:50

I think it is working for me Churmy Just at a slower rate. The leggings i bought back in August are now too big and need replacing and the skirt weigh in now seems to have more material over the stomach bit.

Minimammoth Wed 09-Oct-13 08:24:46

That sounds great Darkeyes. Well done you. Just keep going at your own pace and sod the others. Impressive exercise diary.

Churmy123 Wed 09-Oct-13 11:34:12

I don't know why some people get competitive about it. Yes I'm pleased if someone gets a loss but I don't get dishearted if someone loses more than me. Its your journey Darkesteyes so sod what everyone else in the group is doing.

I am craving naughty foods today! The guy I sit opposite from at work is currently munching his way through a huge box of maltesors! But I will resist. ;-)

Todays menu:

Breakfast: Banana and hi-fi bar
Dinner: Salad, jacket potato and tuna (no dressing)
Tea: 2 weetabix and semi skimmed milk
Snacks: Walkers stars crisps, hi-fi bar, apple, strawberries, grapes, plums, yogurt
Exercise: 1 hour konga (similiar to boxercise)

Fairygen Fri 11-Oct-13 20:08:11

Well, a gain this week of 3.5lbs!!!! I sort of expected it. I've been half hartedly following the plan for a few weeks but have kept getting away with it. I knew it would come and bite me on the ass eventually!!

Although I haven't been stupidly naughty, I started guessing my porridge measurements and haven't been keeping track of my sins 100% of the time.

I need to get that off this week, so back to basics, and going to do a few red days. I've also downloaded Couch to 5k, which is about as far as I've got!!

SummerHoliDidi Sat 12-Oct-13 16:25:18

I missed wi this morning because I had to take dd2 to a&e. She had a dislocated elbow after she lifted her feet while dp was dragging her home from pre-school, leaving him holding her dangling from one arm. Apparently she was using it fine yesterday afternoon but this morning she wouldn't/couldn't move it and whimpered if it got knocked. Poor little soul sad The Dr put it back in and within minutes she was fine again grin

Maybe it's a good job I missed wi though, seeing as it's star week and I appear to have eaten my body weight in chocolate this week blush

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 12-Oct-13 17:10:23

sts again but tbh havnt been following the plan so can complain

its wrong for leaders to push for high losses as then you feel disheartened if you then don't get it (fail)

a lb a week is just under 4 stone a year and a safe loss each week

would love to lose 5/6lbs a week but never gonna happen and tbh cant be healthy

Darkesteyes Sat 12-Oct-13 23:59:23

Sorry to hear about yr dd Summer Hope shes ok now.

YY Blondes pushing for high losses is something that could trigger an eating disorder IMO

SummerHoliDidi Sun 13-Oct-13 00:01:42

She's absolutely fine now Darkest, she was given a teddy by the nurse so she's been playing with that all day, except when she made me take her swimming.

This thread is not accepting new messages.