Ridiculously overtired toddler won't nap

(6 Posts)
MrsJamin Wed 26-May-10 12:47:57

I know what you'll all say, perhaps it's time to drop the nap but DS1 (2 yrs 4 months) seems to really need a nap still. He gets up early (5.30am) and by 9 he's got dark circles under his eyes and he's rubbing his eyes. He used to go to sleep brilliantly for his post-lunch nap, even once we'd moved him to a bed. However when DS2 arrived 3 months ago he got silly about settling and now more often than not, he won't sleep in his bed after lunch. He's giddy with overtiredness and I just don't know how to settle him into tired-and-I-want-to-go-to-bed mode. When he does sleep he sleeps for 2, maybe even 3 hours which has no impact on his bed-time so I really don't want to drop the nap if I can help it. If he doesn't nap he is grouchy and this carries over to the next day too - it's just horrible. It's making me really miserable on days he doesn't nap as I don't get a break, plus I still feel like he needs it. Does any one have any tips for settling a toddler once they're at that giddy overtired stage? I can't seem to bring him down from it without shouting

Fuzzywood Wed 26-May-10 12:52:06

The only thing that works for me when DDis like that is either taking her for a walk in the pushchair or a drive in the car then move her to her bed when back. Don't know if that would work as you have another little one. Could you give him a book or something when he first lies down? Hope it gets better.

MrsJamin Wed 26-May-10 12:57:17

Hi Fuzzywod, ye I've resorted to the car (and the buggy when it's been hot), but then after leaving him in his room for a while, going out in the buggy/car, plus the nap time, before you know it the whole afternoon is gone and I've spent more time getting him to sleep than he's been asleep (2 hrs vs 30 mins yesterday). Plus it feels faintly ridiculous to go out just to get him to go to sleep, not to mention how much it costs in petrol etc. Argh.

DixieD Wed 26-May-10 13:25:55

If he only slept for 30 mins maybe he really doesn't need a nap. With DD she stopped napping at 18 months. It was taking me about half an hour to get her to sleep she was sleeping for 20 mins and was then so cranky for the 20 mins after she woke up it really wasn't worth it. I just moved her to an earlier bedtime instead and within a short while she stopped getting tired in the middle of the day. Would you be able to move his bedtime by half hour/ hour instead?

what time does he go to bed? if he's up at 5.30 then i'm not surprisd he so knckered by linchtime! have you tried putting him to bed before lunch instead? if he's tired by 9 then having to wait another 4-5 hours before going to sleep is a long time for someone so small.

MrsJamin Wed 26-May-10 13:54:15

Dixied - the 30 mins was because he was upright in a buggy, not in bed. If he goes to sleep in bed he always naps for at least 2 hours. I'd put him to bed earlier than 7 if he didn't have a nap. I've tried an earlier naptime but he doesn't go any more easily unless he asks to go to bed himself (v rare). I had written the OP when he looked like he wasn't going to nap today, and I was just about to get him downstairs (he'd been in his room generally playing for an hour) when he went to bed! They are sent to try us, eh, toddlers?! I'm not sure there is a solution really...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now