5 month old eczema baby, swaddling and scratching

(4 Posts)
FlouryBap Wed 17-Mar-10 20:30:53

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on how I can settle my 5 month old DD2. She has quite bad eczema AND she is a wiggly agitated baby anyway. The eczema showed up at about 2 months, but even before that she would thrash around a lot and pull her hair before going to sleep. Now things are a lot worse. We put mitts on her but she still gets really agitated and rubs her face and head a lot and knocks her dummy out. I started swaddling her, which has helped a bi. But in the night she wiggles out of it and she screams the place down when I have to reswaddle. She was so upset last night I even left her ot her face rubbing but it does ends in bawls of tired frustration. So I have to swaddle her and feed her to sleep in my bed. She is waking every couple of hours.

so my questions are:
-are there any tricks I am missing?
-Is there a way fo swaddloing her that she can't get out of, for example some special swaddling blanket.
-does the scratching become a habit, she does it even when her skin isn't too bad.

any help is very much appreciated.

FB x

p.s. i am probably going ot bed soon (with her!) but will be back ot read this tomorrow.

Cadders1 Wed 17-Mar-10 21:04:30

Hi,

My DS was a bit of a scratcher and we swaddled him due to this - but from about 14 weeks kept fighting his way out. I found a NZ product off the internet called Peke Moe. This stops them from scratching their face - also they have some special attachment for babies who have eczema. They have a website and facebook page. We did not keep DS in it long - but I think it did help him transfer to a sleeping bag from the swaddle. He used to like having the material up aorund his face. Another thing that seemed to help is settling him to sleep on his side - as he was often rolling himself onto his side in the night when swaddled. There are loads of positive reviews about the Peke Moe which are on the website.

There is also a swaddle called the snug and tug I think that is for bigger babies and is supposed to be impossible to get out of - but I don't have any experience of it, just something I was looking at when researching alternatives.

Poppet45 Thu 18-Mar-10 09:04:56

I have both and can recommend the Peke over the - stretchy and therefore escapable - snug and tug.
Have you asked for an antihistamine when your little one's eczema is really bad? Our son is an itchy one too and he's on a three week course which has the side effect (welcome) that it also makes him sleepy so he's too tired to scratch.

FlouryBap Thu 18-Mar-10 12:28:50

Thanks both. I have the Peke and have been putting her in it and then swaddling her, so that if she escaped she couldn't get at her face. I will give the other way a go!

I have only been giving emolient cream from the doctor but am going back on Monday, so hopefully they will do something else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now