At wits end! Baby rubbing eyes/scratching in sleep. What can I do??

(8 Posts)
maldivemoment Fri 26-Feb-10 09:42:25

In the past few weeks our 5 month old has been excessively rubbing his eyes/face whiel trying to get to sleep and during his sleep and waking himself up in the process. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do? Furthermore, does anyone know why he does it? I'm thinking it may be a habit rather than having any underlying medical cause. He has a little touch of eczema on the side of his face, next to his ear, but this is not where he rubs. Occasionally we put a little Hydrocortisone cream on and we also use Doublebase cream more regularly.

Now we come to what to do about it? At the moment the only thing I can think to do is swaddle him. He really doesn't like it but it's the only was I can prevent his from scratching! Oh yes, any we use scratch mitts but he tends to rub his head after cream being applied and then put his hands in his mouth!!!

Anyone?? Thanks

welshandproud Fri 26-Feb-10 09:46:42

Swaddling will work unless he's a champion wriggler! We have the same problem and i think it is exzema around his eyebrows and on his scalp that causes it. I tend to but the hydrocortisone cream on an hour or so before DS goes to bed as he scratches less when he's not tired. I also found that scratch mittens dont stay on for long so i use socks that pull up past his elbows.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 26-Feb-10 09:48:03

rubbing head/eyes is v common

If you only use cream occasionally I would go with scratch mitts. Actually socks up to and over the elbow are better, less easy to dislodge

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 26-Feb-10 09:48:24

fab x posts

Moomma Fri 26-Feb-10 20:36:42

Try a Peke Moe! They're sleeping bags from New Zealand. We got one for my DS because he was a nightmare sleeper unless swaddled, but was getting too old for it. They let the babies move around but not scratch themselves because they're inside the sleeping bag - and more comfortable/cosy than socks. Highly recommended. Great customer service too.

IsItMeOr Fri 26-Feb-10 23:31:58

In a variant on your theme, DS scratches and pinches me when he's trying to get off to sleep. I will watch with interest to see if you get any tips I can steal!

bexxaa Sun 28-Feb-10 00:11:22

Message withdrawn

austinsmom13 Fri 29-May-15 05:59:49

Hmm, swaddling didn't work for me after a few months, so I switched to a swaddle transition blanket called the Zipadee-Zip. This helped keep his hands off his face and kept him really snuggled ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now