calling all fellow parents of early risers - i hardly dare say i, but i THINK this wake-to-sleep thing MAY work...! <<crosses fingers>>

(224 Posts)
Tutter Tue 08-Jul-08 09:33:54

ds2 (1yo next week!) has always been an early riser - just as his brother was

generally it's between 4:50 and 5:10

we tried everything - blackouts, white noise, cc, milk, later bedtime, earlier bedtime, shorter naps in day, earlier naps in day

etc etc

the last two nights we have set the alarm for <vomit> 4am and have gone in and gently roused him

he's gone straight back off each time

yday morning he woke at 5:25

this morning 5:45

so, not exactly miraculous, but a huge improvement

(but how sad that i should view 5:45 as a good time to start the day grin)

Mimsy2000 Tue 08-Jul-08 09:38:29

oh my god my ds is a pretty rubbish sleeper but he at least would sleep in till 7 or sometimes 7.30. i can't imagine 4.50!!! well done on the progress. i always feel powerless in the face of sleep issues, nice to see you can make improvements.

what time does he go to bed, just out of curiousity?

Tutter Tue 08-Jul-08 09:39:16

7pm

EthelTheUnready Tue 08-Jul-08 09:40:30

We have an early riser too (about 4.45 - 5). I like the idea of the wake-to-sleep thing but I suspect I wouldn't be able to get back off to sleep again myself after 4!

Tutter Tue 08-Jul-08 09:41:55

indeed ethel - took me ages to drop back off again today

but the going-in-an-hour-before-they-wake thing isn't meant to be a permanent solution - afte a few days they are supposed <<crosses fingers>> to be into a new sleep pattern and therefore not need to be disturbed

littlerach Tue 08-Jul-08 09:45:16

WE did this with dd1 and it did seem to work too.

hiccymapops Tue 08-Jul-08 09:49:08

I will have to try this. My little man is a terrible sleeper, but nowadays he's never up later than 5:10. Have a funny feeling if we try this he may get up at 4, but it's worth trying grin

Tutter Tue 08-Jul-08 09:51:08

we had the same concern, hiccy

but he was really dopey at 4am

hiccymapops Tue 08-Jul-08 09:54:02

If your little one wakes during the night, does he get himself back off to sleep, or do you have to help him? My little monster prefers company (and trust me we've tried everything!) Just wondering if it makes a difference.

Tutter Tue 08-Jul-08 09:56:21

no, he can resettle on his own

(but he has a dummy - i imagine he uses that)

hiccymapops Tue 08-Jul-08 09:57:35

Thank you. I'll still give it a go.

solo Tue 08-Jul-08 10:03:19

So...what exactly do you do? just wake him, then leave him to go back to sleep?
My Dd has slept through for two whole nights, but she's done this before...then gone right back to waking at 2, 3, 4, 5am - whatever! <yawn>

EthelTheUnready Tue 08-Jul-08 10:10:50

Sounds very promising Tutter. A couple of early wakings for me would be worth the long term gain of a child that sleeps past 5.30. I might just give it a go.

Thanks!

Tutter Tue 08-Jul-08 10:15:13

solo - this was cut and pasted for me the other day (taken from the baby whisperer):-

(btw, i think this technique is really intended for a child that wakes at the same time (ish) every day)

A PLAN: Nine times out of ten a child who wakes habitually doesn’t need more food (unless she’s going through a growth spurt; see pages 115—119 and 197 TBW SAYP). Instead, Re-swaddle, if necessary, give her a dummy to calm her, and comfort her with the shush-pat. Keep stimulation to a minimum. No rocking or Jostling. Don’t change her unless her nappy is soiled or soaking wet. Do the ‘Four S’ routine and stay with her until she’s settled into a deep sleep. You’ll also need to take steps to break the waking habit.

So, let’s say you’ve ruled out other causes such as pain or discomfort. You’ve also eliminated hunger by both upping her food during the day and tanking her up at night. This is what I call my “wake-to-sleep” technique: Instead of lying there waiting for her to wake up, set your clock an hour earlier than her habitual waking time and you wake her (see bottom of this page). She probably won’t wake up completely, but her little eyes may dart back and firth under her lids, she’ll murmur and move a bit just as an adult would if you interrupted his deep sleep. Do this for three nights in a row.

I can just hear your response: “You must he out of your mind!” I realise that wake-to-sleep is a shockingly counterintuitive suggestion, but it does work! Sometimes, in fact, it only takes one night to break the habit, but I recommended that you keep it up for three nights nonetheless. If it doesn’t work, you have to reevaluate whether her habitual waking is due to another cause. If you’ve ruled everything else out, do this wake-to- sleep technique for at least another three days.

Wake to Sleep? Tracy, You’ve Got to Be Kidding
Parents are often shocked when I suggest the wake-to-sleep strategy for habitual night waking. Set your clock an hour earlier than your baby usually wakes and go into his room. Jostle him gently rub his belly a bit and stick a dummy in his mouth—all of which will help stir him to semi-consciousness. Then, leave. He’ll fall back to sleep. This gives you the control, rather than your sitting around hoping that your baby’s habit will magically go away. (It won’t.) By waking him an hour early you’ll disrupt his sleep pattern.

HonoriaGlossop Tue 08-Jul-08 10:43:45

how interesting - god, I wish I'd heard of this strategy when ds was waking at 5am!

Hope it works!

RubySlippers Tue 08-Jul-08 10:48:38

yay Tutter!

it does work - i did it with DS when he started waking at 5.00 am when he was around a year old

getting up at 4.00 am was HIDEOUS but we cracked it

took us 6 nights but he has NEVER gone back to habitual 5 am starts (and he is now 2)

HonoriaGlossop Tue 08-Jul-08 10:56:31

envy

thinks back to YEARS of early starts

MehgaLegs Tue 08-Jul-08 10:59:41

Ooh might try this with DS4 - he wakes at about 5.15 - in desperation I have staple gunned black out lining to his window and lined the curtains so it is pitch black in there, some success but he hears the birds and our roosters.

solo Tue 08-Jul-08 12:40:02

Thank you! I may try this if she goes back to waking up early. It's usually at about 3 o'clock, but has changed over time, and was more recently at 5.30. Only thing is - she's in my room! hmm

deaconblue Tue 08-Jul-08 13:38:38

I really hope this works for you Tutter, can you post in a few days with results? I am up with dd for a feed at 4ish anyway and have only just got her back to bed when ds wakes at 5ish (utterly grim) so I could rouse him and then maybe they would both go back to sleep til 6ish?
(shoppingbags secretly dreams of a 7am start to the day What heaven!))

twofalls Wed 09-Jul-08 19:28:21

I might try this, dd, aged 2 up at 1am and then 5 for the day every morning. Some of my friends newborn babies sleep for longer! Stupidly I gave her milk a few times at 1 because I was so tired that I now think she is waking out of habit. I might try to wake her at about 12 to try and crack that one first.

How did it go this morning?

kingfix Wed 09-Jul-08 19:33:58

oh please oh please! If this works i will LOVE you! (not in a scary way though)

deaconblue Thu 10-Jul-08 11:19:29

Come on Tutter, tell us about your lovely lay-in this morning...
Is it working?
Ds up at 4.50am, I am sooooooooo hoping it works for your ds then we shall try it

Tutter Thu 10-Jul-08 11:28:07

oooooh-kayyyyyyy

bad news first - yesterday it didn't work. he woke at 5:10. then this morning he woke properly when we went in to "gently rouse" him at 4am (so then cried for 20 mins)

but good news - this morning he then slept on til <<drum roll>> 6:30!!!!

and actually, yesterday morning may have just been a hiccup, as he'd had a very restless night anyway (i suspect chicken pox is about to make an appearance)

so - on the whole we are encouraged and will stick with it

a couple of more 4am "rousings" then we will wait and see what happens if he's left alone.....

orangina Thu 10-Jul-08 11:30:32

By the way, all you mothers of early risers, do your little darlings sleep any longer in the winter? I only ask as I have 2 early risers these days, and I am getting through it with the hope that when the mornings start getting darker again, I might be allowed to sleep beyond 5:45 again (ahhh! who would ever have thought that sleeping until after 6am would be a lie in...?!?!)

(Please say yes)

deaconblue Fri 11-Jul-08 12:19:22

no afraid not Orangina - ds got up at 4.30-5.30 every morning last winter.
Tutter, that sounds relatively promising. We might give it a go next week

Tutter Fri 11-Jul-08 14:04:58

ah - dh confessed that the morning that ds2 woke at 5:10 he hadn't actually woken him when he went in at 4am - he tried but gave up quickly as ds2 had had a rough night

so - each time we have woken him he has gone on to sleep around an hour more (at least) than he normally would

crunch time will be when we decide to wait and see if we have broken his habit - i.e. not going in to him

we may try this tonight

i am convinced he will wake at 4:58

deaconblue Fri 11-Jul-08 15:28:06

isn't it weird when they wake at exactly the same time for days - we had 5.12am for ages (yawn)
my theory is that when he was tiny and finally went from 10pm to 5am I then worked on getting him to bed earlier (by feeding a few minutes earlier every day til we got a 7pm bedtime) instead of trying to extend the morning. With dd I plan to try to get her to wake at 6am before beginning to move her last feed at night.

Midge25 Sat 12-Jul-08 21:43:14

Reading with interest - my little one is also keen on the 5am start....hadn't heard of wake to sleep before...

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sat 12-Jul-08 21:46:46

i read of it some years ago, though not in so much depth, sounded bizarre, but if it works might be good

solo Sun 20-Jul-08 13:16:14

Well! I tried for three nights and it worked for those three nights. I decided to test it out and see if she'd go through - she didn't! She now has a cold so it's probably not worth trying again until it's gone, but I might give it a go tonight.
Anyone else had a success yet?

Hmm, DS1&DD always wake up about 6am.
They don't need to get up until 7-7:30ish (I know 6am probably seems late to early risers but I have a 3 month old so could do with that extra hour!)

DS2 wakes around 4am, for either a cuddle or a feed, so maybe I should try stirring the other two at the same time?

solo Sun 20-Jul-08 13:47:54

Makes sense VS. Nothing to lose by trying.

hunkermunker Sun 20-Jul-08 14:08:00

Good luck, Tutter.

Wonder if it works with 2.6yos [sigh]

I shall be trying it on a 7 & a 3yr old hunker, nothing ventured.....

hunkermunker Sun 20-Jul-08 14:10:53

How about I just send you DS2 for a bit? You might as well have three to try it on grin

blueshoes Sun 20-Jul-08 14:37:25

orangina, my dcs are not particularly early risers but are poor sleepers, as in would equally wake at 4 am as 5 am or 1 am or 3:30 am, whenever suits their fancy and don't self-settle as babies.

To answer your question, both dcs sleep better during winter than summer, both in terms of the total amount of sleep needed during a 24 hour period, as in the time they woke (later in winter). There is hope!

Sure, babyhunker is perfectly welcome, we have a spare bedgrin

HensMum Sun 20-Jul-08 15:19:41

Oooh, I'm going to try this! My little monster rarely sleeps later than 6am. 5.30am starts are common.
So, I should be going in at 4.30ish, poking him for a bit and then leaving? How awake should he be? The bit that scares me is what if he wakes up properly and is then awake from 4.30am?!

hunkermunker Sun 20-Jul-08 15:39:50

<parcels up DS2>

See him in a week or so, OK?

Enjoy! grin

You do realise he'll sleep perfectly with me don't you?
Then come home and sleep worsegrin

hunkermunker Sun 20-Jul-08 15:50:05

S'OK, just think of all the sleep I'll have in the next week.

I'm serious, you know.

[books courier]

DorotheaPlenticlew Sun 20-Jul-08 15:52:14

So glad I stumbled upon this thread - never heard of wake-to-sleep but it sounds like exactly what we need.

DS is 11 months and has been waking just before 5 for, well, forever, basically. Blackout fabric etc helps not a jot. Did wonder if it might be the squawking gulls outside his window, but nothing we can do about those - would sometimes dearly love to blow 'em away with a shotgun, but I suppose that would also tend to wake a sleeping baby.

Will report back if it works.

A couriershock
Just put him on the bus, he'll be fine.
In fact dump on on the Oxford Tube I'll meet him before the picnic tomorrow.
I could take in an extra ten and not notice, really.
Once you get to three you head count going out the door.

beansprout Sun 20-Jul-08 15:55:48

Can I send ds1 over too? grin

Seriously though, is it worth trying on older kids (ds1 is 3.9)?

hunkermunker Sun 20-Jul-08 15:56:10

Oh, cool - you can tandem feed at the picnic then grin He'll like that.

(I asked him which his favourte side was the other night - he spread his hand across my chest, patted me and said, "I like 'em ALL!" grin)

solo Mon 21-Jul-08 09:57:41

Did anyone try this last night? I went to bed at about 1am(far too late for me)and decided to joggle Dd about a bit then instead of waking at 2am. Took quite a bit of joggling to rouse her, then tucked her back in and went to bed...it worked this time...onwards and upwards for tonight then.

hunkermunker Mon 21-Jul-08 14:06:28

I didn't try it last night and DS2 slept till 7.50. He has never done that! That's a good two hours longer than usual. grin

solo Tue 22-Jul-08 09:19:50

No luck last night I joggled her about at 01:30 and she woke again at 3...I think it is because she is so snotty though. I took a soft option and breast fed her...<sigh> hmm

solo Sat 26-Jul-08 13:40:24

This has worked with Dd since Tuesday night, so 4 nights running. I'm going to keep going for a full week I think, then give it a go with not waking her to see if it's worked! My mum and dad are having her over night next weekend(first night away from me), so I'm really aiming for her sleeping through for them...<grimace>

solo Wed 30-Jul-08 11:08:50

Ok! I had the 5th night where DD threw up at 2am, but apart from that she's been sleeping successfully after the wake to sleep process...Tonight, I'm going to see if she'll sleep without being woken. Wish me luck
Anyone else had any success?

RubySlippers Wed 30-Jul-08 11:12:32

good luck!

i actually recommended WTS as i had done it with my DS who was waking at 5.00 am when he was 1

we cracked it after 6 nights

it does seem wrong to wake a sleeping baby, but it does seem to do something to their sleep cycle

fifitot Wed 30-Jul-08 11:28:38

Would it work with a 2 year old do you think?

Also - am I right, it's only a gently rouse so they grunt a bit?

Going to try tonight. Anything is better than 4.50 am!!!!!!!

RubySlippers Wed 30-Jul-08 11:51:28

you wake them so they are almost fully but not quite awake but they need to be nearly conscious <<am confusing self>>

a good sign with my DS was his eyes would half open, he would turn over and mutter so i knew he was awake enough to need to re-settle

i would try with a 2 year old = AFAIK there is no age limit

solo Wed 30-Jul-08 11:53:17

I found I had to make my Dd open her eyes - albeit just groggily. She is by the time I do it in a deep sleep, so she doesn't wake up properly. fifitot, you have nothing to lose by giving it a go.
Thanks for your help in suggesting it initially RS, and thanks for the luck tonight! grin will report back with the results...

Isabellasmam Wed 30-Jul-08 12:00:20

my dd is 6mo and just started to wake during the night after sleeping through from 2 months. She wakes from 2.00 onwards, all she needs is the dummy back in but we can do this up to 20 times a night! By 5.30 she is wide awake and crying. Do you think this technique will work on her and when would you wake her up?

nolongerchunkybutstillapudding Wed 30-Jul-08 21:01:17

take it this doesn't work if they are waking a gazillion times a night? or would you just use it to tackle one waking at a time? they are fairly habitual, but there's lots of 'em, and i currently bf each time because it works...

nolongerchunkybutstillapudding Wed 30-Jul-08 21:02:11

lots of wakings that is, just the one child! grin

fifitot Wed 30-Jul-08 21:12:27

Wish me luck trying this for first time tonight - well tomorrow actually. have set alarm for 4 am. Gulp!

Will let you know how we get on.

RubySlippers Wed 30-Jul-08 21:17:20

IM - don't know how it would work with a dummy dependent baby... you could try it

NLCBSAP <<phew>> = how old is your LO?? Not good for lots of wakings - usually one clockwork waking ... does your LO still feed at night?

fifi - good luck

fifitot Thu 31-Jul-08 09:11:48

No it didn't work : (

Woke her at 4 and she woke then at 4.50 as normal. Thinking I maybe didn't rouse her enough. Will keep trying and report back.

RubySlippers Thu 31-Jul-08 09:19:29

try again! The first night can be rubbish

you do 3 nights, see what happens on the 4th and if it still the old wake up you do WTS for 6 nights

solo Thu 31-Jul-08 09:27:14

Hey hey! it worked!!! well it did last night anyway! hope that's it then. Mind you, what I've actually been working towards, is leaving her overnight at my parents on Saturday hmm not looking forward to doing it, but if she sleeps through there...that'll be a HUGE acheivement! and a relief. grin

nolongerchunkybutstillapudding Thu 31-Jul-08 09:41:23

rubyslippers - thanks for the reply, and sorry my nickname is exhausting! chunkypudding was dp's name for me when pg (charming man!) but after 6.5 months of breastfeeding and a very... umm... lets say 'spirited' baby i am now more twig than chunk so the nickname started to feel weird...

anyway, ds is 6.5 mo and yep, still feeds at night but i think its part habit. something like 11, 1, 3, 5, 6.... fairly clockworkish!

am working on cutting down 1am and 3am feeds, hoping to gradually get rid of them. also trying to soothe him back to sleep without feed when poss. he is confused to pieces by pu/pd and thinks shush patting is a game. have found sometimes one hand on him and staying calm and quiet works...

last night 1am and 3am feeds were 5 mins, i stayed a bit while he resettled went quite well!

and VERY excitingly he stayed in cot til 7 this am (usually in my bed by 5-6ish) i heard him wake a bit at 6.30 BUT HE DECIDED... by himself... to go back to sleep til 7!!!

yay! will prob all go tits up tonight.

good luck with your next go fifitot!!!

and big whoops for you solo!!!

wonder if its still working for the op???

solo Thu 31-Jul-08 09:51:14

Hope so chunky. Good luck to you too!

RubySlippers Thu 31-Jul-08 11:46:19

yay Solo and Hurrah Chunky ...

smile

Isabellasmam Thu 31-Jul-08 13:59:23

broke all the rules last night but actually got some sleep. DD woke at 3am and would not rest with the dummy, by 4am she was crying with the dummy in. As it was hot I gave her some juice, changed her nappy and then tried to settle her down. She wouldnt go down so put her in our bed where she slept till 7:30.

We've probably made a rod for our own backs but when your sleep deprived its whatever works.

fifitot Fri 01-Aug-08 06:25:40

Well she woke at 5.15 which is better than 4.50 but she has done 5.15 before so not sure if this improvement or whether she may have woken then anyway.

The rousing at 4 was difficult as she actually woke and took a while to get back to sleep!

I am really knackered this morning but we will try again tonight to see what happens.

TheGabster Fri 01-Aug-08 11:10:47

Hey FIfitot, snap!!

My DS wakes around 5 every morning and will self-settle but not for much longer past 6am. Plus moans and groans so much I am awake from 5 anyway.

So we tried WTS at 4am last night too. Was just considering post, asking whether we stuffed it up, as DS also did not settle afterwards so instead of being awake from 5am, I was awake from 4am hmm <<cries into coffe cup>>.

Do you think we woke them too much? My DH put the little side light on in DS room and I wonder whether that was a mistake?

Just had a nice strong coffee and cake though, so feel more able to face the afternoon now. Can thoroughly recommend it.

G

fifitot Fri 01-Aug-08 12:55:36

LOL Gabster! I am sitting here eating cake and coffee too! LO did go off at 4 but only with a bit of shushing from me but she woke again an hour later so not much progress.

Going to try again tonight and just a slight waking. I don't put a light on as I think I read even a dim light puts them into wake mode.

I am so tired this week as have been on leave from work with DD at home. We've had great fun, lots of days out but today I put her in her nursery for half a day and went back to bed for 3 hours! How bad am I?????

To be fair, I have noone I can ask to help me so nursery is my only option - all my relatives are miles away, DH at work and mates all at work too. I feel guilty but she loves nursery anyway and I've had a nice long sleep catch up!

TheGabster Fri 01-Aug-08 14:10:04

oooohn - I'm so envious - nursery!! Good idea.

It's just me & dh (at least I have him) but no family or friends the same - I live in Germany and all F&F are in UK so not even nursery option at he mo. Am trying to find babysitter mind.

Of course DH is at work days so no respite today, although got 20 wink power nap lunchtime?!

Thnks for the info on the light - will have another go tonight.

fifitot Sat 02-Aug-08 09:47:43

Well I roused her gently at 4 this morning and she woke at 4.30!!!!!! Then spent 90 mins trying to get her to sleep to no avail so we got up to start the day at 6.

To say I am tired is an understatement. Am knocking this on the head, there is no improvement. In fact I would rather sleep til 5 the have to wake at 4! I think it maybe works better with younger kids.

fifitot Sat 02-Aug-08 19:42:03

Where is everyone who was trying this out????? I need your sucess stories and advice!!!!!

RubySlippers Sun 03-Aug-08 11:06:50

fifi - did you "over wake" her?

how many nights did you do it for?

I know it is painful ...

fifitot Sun 03-Aug-08 14:29:15

i may have overwoken her but thought the first night didn't rouse her enough!

Did it for 3 nights, last night didn't bother and she woke at 5am.

Not sure whether to persist or not. Thanks for your reply!

RubySlippers Sun 03-Aug-08 18:42:41

oh, if it doesn't work after the first 3 nights and they go back to their old wake up on the 4th night you are meant to do WTS for 6 nights <<gulp>>

this is what broke our DS's 5.00 am habit

fifitot Sun 03-Aug-08 19:31:49

6 nights of 4 am wakings. OMG. Will see how I feel tonight. Sheesh!

TheGabster Sun 03-Aug-08 20:15:07

Oh go on Fifitot, you know it will be worth it in the end if you can get it to work. Just focus on the end result! It will only be a few more days and then you will have months of gorgeous lovely sleep!!

We are going to start trying again in a few days' time, as ds has a horrible sore throat at the moment so no point until that's gone. Just think, by the time we start, you should be getting somewhere.

Make you laugh. I fell over on Friday(no, was not drunk but too tired, honest)and have one arm in a sling! Can't lift or hold anything so poor fantastic DH is doing all nappy changing/feeding/putting down at moment. I get to do his jobs instead - walking the dog! wink Having a lovely break.

Set your alarm clock and let us know how you get on tomorrow.

RubySlippers Sun 03-Aug-08 20:26:05

fifi - it is crappola!

i alternated the 4 am starts with DH <<yawns at memory>>

fifitot Mon 04-Aug-08 17:40:51

Well this morning I didn't set alarm but woke at 4.40 and sort of roused her accidentally. She woke at 5.35 which isn't as bad as normal I guess so may persist tonight.

BTW Gabster - milk it for as long as you can. I would!

RubySlippers Mon 04-Aug-08 18:41:42

i would go for it again

keep us posted

smile

TheGabster Mon 04-Aug-08 20:58:54

Hey Fifi

Glad to hear you had some success. Fingers crossed for tonight/tomorrow and stay positive.

DS got the healthy and all clear from the doctor today so going to have a go tonight. Am hardly sleeping anyway between DS waking, trying to find a comfy place to put my arm (no rude suggestions please shock!), and lying awake waiting for DS to start again. I don't know about changing his sleep pattern, but I've been woken by him at 5am so many times now, that I wake at 5am on the dot without him!!!!

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 11:03:47

Well ladies! I have done it. Dd sleeps through now grin, so do keep trying. My Dd has been a sleep nightmare(for me)since birth, so at 19 months to have cracked it feels like such a victory. I hope you are all saying the same in a fortnights time.

fifitot Tue 05-Aug-08 20:40:47

Sooooo jealous solo! Am trying again tonight. Coming up to 6 nights now!!!!!

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 21:16:27

Tifi, I stopped after 3 nights the first time, but it failed miserably! Tried again and continued the waking for 6 maybe 7 days - et voila!!! Long may it continue too!
So...keep trying, keep trying, keep trying and let us know what happens. I was definitely a sceptic, so for me to be raving about it! well....grin

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 21:20:06

*Nights, not days!

TheGabster Tue 05-Aug-08 21:27:32

OOoohhhfff - I'm green - from both of you.

What time were you up this morning Fifi?

Did it for the 1st time last night + no dice. I know, will have another go tonight <<remembers sleep longingly and reaches for the coffee cup>>. hmm

solo Tue 05-Aug-08 21:35:20

Good luck TheGabster! keep at it. It is hard, but it is sooo wonderful when you wake up at 'normal' hour realising that your lo has slept through.

fifitot Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:23

Was up at 5 unf. I am not being consistent with the rousing times as i can't get up!!!! Gonna try again this weekend and will report back.

girlsallaround Wed 06-Aug-08 20:40:46

our neighbour downstairs had an early riser, 5am. what i remember is that they took turns waking up. it seemed like they had learnt to deal with it. i think there was a lot of baby tv viewing going on at those hours ;-)

solo Wed 06-Aug-08 23:56:51

Fifi, I had trouble with the alarm going off in the night too, but I pushed myself to do it because I felt like 'Well, she'll get me up anyway at some point, so I may as well make it on my terms, not hers'. I know how you feel having had 19 months of disturbed nights(sometimes every hour)myself, so I sympathise greatly, but do keep trying.(kind)

TheGabster Thu 07-Aug-08 09:21:45

So how was it Fifi?

I was not sure woke DS enough last night but he definitely did not start rousing until 6am this morning, a whole hour later than for months!!!

Definitely doing it again tonight then. All I did was rub his arms and face/belly a bit and then when he moved and groaned, slunk out. Was not sure it was enough. Suppose could have been fluke.

Will let you know if it happens again tonight!!

<<crosses fingers>>

fifitot Thu 07-Aug-08 19:40:18

Oh Gabster - sounds great. Hope it works!

This morning she woke at 4 anyway, didn't even have to rouse her!!!!!! However she went back to sleep but woke at 5....

So am not bothering tonight but on Friday will start again and be very consistent.

Let us know what happens Gabster. Good luck.

TheGabster Fri 08-Aug-08 14:53:35

Oh ... <<please image rude words here>>!

Got up at 4 as faithfully as ever but made no difference!! Maybe I didn't rouse him enough this time. Grrrrr

I know its not hunger because by 6.15 I couldn't listen to his winging anymore and got up and fed him. He only took half the feed AND was obviously still tired (rubbing eyes etc) so put him straight back to bed and he slept until 8am. It must just be habbit, damn it. He is SOOOO not getting up early tomorrow even if I have to involve a sledge hammer!!!

And that was night 3 so looks like I am in for the 6 nighter too. Just my luck.

Please somebody, I need to hear about your success stories!!!

2Happy Sat 09-Aug-08 06:13:30

Ooooohkaaaaaay. Either you're all completely barking, or this is something I need to do too.

ds2 (18m) is slowly killing us. He has always been an early riser (5.30) but in the last couple of weeks has been nearer 4, screaming his head of, waking us and ds1, and aslo refusing to go down for afternoon nap too (despite being clearly exhausted).

We've tried everything. I think it's a separation anxiety thing, but maybe the WTS thing would work nonetheless. My mum's offered to take him tonight so we can all have a night off, but I know she's half deaf and will just let him scream for hours (she's not normally up before 8...).

(I should add, BTW, that after trying for 3/4 of an hour to get him back to sleep this am, I brought him downstairs and he has now fallen asleep on the floor shockhmm)

aberdeenhiker Sat 09-Aug-08 16:09:23

I saw this thread a while ago and wanted to post and say it's working for us for my DS1 who's 25 months. It's easy to get up and wake him though as we're up with DS2, who's 2 months old. Actually the first day was accidental as I made too much noise after feeding DS2.

fifitot Sat 09-Aug-08 19:25:05

I had planned to do the 4 am rouse last night but DD woke me instead at 3 asking for a potty!!!! And she went back to sleep but still woke at 5.30. Grrrrrrrrrr.

So.........will try again tonight.

TheGabster Sun 10-Aug-08 14:12:01

LOL - our lO's must be tuned into each other.

My DS woke at 3.30 last night too, although self settled so I then wondered whether to do it or not. Decided to get up anyway at 4 and russell him a bit. Got back into nice warm bed and decided I probably hadn't woken him enough so got up and did it a bit more.

Bonzai - was then woken at 6am (instead of 5)!! Infact he was "chatting" instead of crying so too much red wine and not enough sleep persuaded me to leave him and he eventually self-settled AGAIN (wohoo) and did not wake again until nearly 8am! grin

OOooh, was the nicest Sunday lay and first for 6 months!! Sorry Fifi, did not mean to rub it in. But of 6 nights, only 2 got this later result so not sure whether it is the WTS or not. hmm

Think going to try it for a few more nights to see where I am - have done it for this long 2 more nights won't make much difference. Then am definitely calling it a day as too sleep deprived.

Are you going to have a go tonight?

fifitot Tue 12-Aug-08 20:35:44

Well......I haven't been able to get up and do the rousing for a few nights as too tired but this morning she woke at 6.15! Think it might have been due to a very dark morning as raining heavily but we will see.....If it's a one off I'll be livid!

How did you get on on Sunday and Monday Gabster?

solo Wed 13-Aug-08 01:16:58

Well, I think my Dd is cured. She has slept through now since I stopped waking her(almost 2 weeks). Don't give up now ladies. After 18+ months of broken sleep, it is wonderful to sleep through the night. I'm totally impressed by the WTS technique, but I'd never have believed it before now grin and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm gloating, I'm not, I am trying to encourage you all to keep trying. Fingers are crossed for you all.

fifitot Wed 13-Aug-08 19:16:19

Solo that is brilliant. Still haven't got back on track with it though. Might start tonight if I can manage to wake up at 4!

solo Wed 13-Aug-08 21:07:00

Good luck fifi, fingers crossed for you.x

TheGabster Wed 13-Aug-08 21:29:49

Common Fifi - come and join the mad people who wake themselves up at rediculous times in the morning before their annoying darling children can!! grin

Woke up at 4.15 this morning and realised there was no way I could get out of bed - too tired. But DS did not wake until 6.20 and happily dozed on and off until 7am so it must be working.

Anyway, seems his new wakeup time is 6.20 (much nicer than 5am) so DH and I have decided to leave it a few days and if this is DS's new wakeup time, then we are going to start doing WTS around 5.20 to see if we can stretch him out a little bit further!! he he.

keep us posted on progress your end.

G

dairymoo Thu 14-Aug-08 09:06:11

Right, I have been reading your thread and am thinking of giving it a go with my 11mo old DTs. When they were still feeding in the night (up until they were 9mo) they normally used to sleep until about 7am but since they've dropped their night feeds then have been waking up earlier and earlier...we're at about 5:30am at the moment (I know it could be worse, but it could also be better!) They wake up and start chatting to each other so I know they aren't waking from hunger, just that their alarm clock seems to be set a little early for my liking.

So, sorry if it's been explained before, but how much do you need to wake them - and am I right in thinking you do it an hour before their normal waking time, so 4:30am for us? Am terrified of waking them too much but I guess it would be worth giving it a go if indeed it will work for us. Thanks in advance!

Arhian Thu 14-Aug-08 10:37:57

Hi, I came across this thread by mistake, but am so glad I did, cos I really do hope it'll work. My dd is 6 months old and up until this last week she sleeps through till around 6am. But this last week she been waking up crying at around 1am every night. I've ruled out nappy probs, hunger. she tends to settle again after an hour of me cwtching and walking around with her. But its starting to get to me and DH now. Esp. as DH gets up at 5 for work.

Do you guys think that this will work, if I try waking around 12ish. Don't know what else to try.

Thanks xx

solo Thu 14-Aug-08 11:17:14

Dairymoo, I found the best way to wake my Dd was to rub her tummy, pat her bottom, call her name and then to lift her up(kind of mid air in the cot)until she actually opened her eyes. Put her straight back down at that point and she moved around to get comfy and went straight back off to sleep. Any less of a waking up and it didn't work, any less than six consecutive nights and it didn't work either. She's now waking at 8:30 at the earliest.

Arhian, yes wake your Dd an hour before she's been waking and then as above really. I don't claim to be the expert in this, but it's certainly worked for me as set out earlier in the thread by Tutter(wonderful, wonderful Tutter!)and you have nothing to lose as she's going to drag you out of bed anyway.

Good luck to you both! let us all know how you go.

TheGabster Thu 14-Aug-08 21:32:21

And whatever you do, don't put the light on like my DH did the first night - it took us nearly two hours to get DS back to sleep again!!! sad

dairymoo Fri 15-Aug-08 08:51:42

Well, night one....forgot to set my alarm blush and woke up at 5am, couldn't hear any noise from the LOs room so I thought I'd give it a go. Started to gently pat DT1 on the bottom at which point she popped her head up (was lying on her front) and I jumped down onto the floor. Didn't dare touch DT2 but as they were both tossing and turning a bit anyway I think I'd left it too late. Will set my alarm for tomorrow morning!!

dairymoo Fri 15-Aug-08 08:58:02

Oh - and they were both up by 5:30 again...

Tidgypuds Fri 15-Aug-08 09:18:14

Would this work with a 3 & 4 Year old? My sisters two are still waking up and ready to start the day at 5am!
(Im not going to mention my two and jinx there good sleeping habits )

solo Fri 15-Aug-08 11:53:30

I don't have the answer to that Tidgy, but it could be worth a try...nothing to lose by the sounds of it.

I know what you mean about the jinxing thing. My Dd woke up at 5 this morning! angry

TheGabster Fri 15-Aug-08 17:18:49

Oh Solo - that's such a bummer. I really thought you had cracked it. Do you think it was just a one off?

My DS woke at 5 too this morning (just as I was about to do WTS), but it was definitely hunger - we are still weaning and I forgot to give him any carbs with his tea last night blush. D'oh.

Hey Fifi - are you getting anywhere with it?

dairymoo Fri 15-Aug-08 19:03:01

Quick question before I attempt again this evening. As my DTs seem to get up just randomly early (i.e. anywhere between 5-6am) when should I wake them?? 4am to be on the safe side? (As clearly 5am didn't work this morning!!)

solo Fri 15-Aug-08 22:13:32

dairymoo, I would try around 4:20, kind of middle ish. Then if they were on for waking at 5, it's not too late but, if it should be 6, it's not too, too early iyswim. Good luck!

I think my Dd possibly woke earlier because I was trying to get her to go down earlier. Ho hum hmm

dairymoo Sat 16-Aug-08 09:58:38

Well I think it worked! Crept into their room at 4am (hadn't seen your post solo!), roused them a little - was worried it wasn't enough - but I don't think they woke until about 6:30am! I was asleep until then and wasn't woken by crying so can only assume...blush

But they also managed to last until 9:30am for their nap so they can't have been awake much earlier than 6:30. Fab - will try again tonight and see if we can have a repeat performance. smile

fifitot Sat 16-Aug-08 19:00:00

Not sure if working or not. Don't want to jinx it so will report in a few days!!!!!

TheGabster Sat 16-Aug-08 21:08:15

Well I officially give up.

Dragged myself out of bed to "rouse" DS at 4am this morning and climbed back into bad feeling smug, only to have stupid DH blunder around drunkenly 2 minutes later (looking for the toilet?) making loads of noise, waking him properly. Could not get him back to sleep until 6am and was up for the day 30 minutes later. Grrrr angry

Rant over!! <<waits with baited breath for update from Fifitot>>

nappyaddict Sat 16-Aug-08 21:28:48

i think i might try this ..

dairymoo Mon 18-Aug-08 13:45:54

Slight blip. Forgot to wake up again blush on Saturday night but they slept until 6:45am without any intervention! smile smile smile

So, stupidly, I thought that maybe I didn't need to do WTS at all but this morning they were up again just before 5:30am. sad

Will DEF be setting the alarm tonight!!

JuneBugJen Mon 18-Aug-08 14:09:35

Oh thank God. A fresh idea!

Have ds (11mths) who thinks 5-5.30 is wake up time. I let him scream it out till 6, cringing all the while.
At that time he wants milk, but picks at cereal. He always seems tired at this time. I dont think he wants to be awake.

He goes to bed at 7.00pm, we loosely follow Gina, but also he is grouchy for the last 2 hours of the day.

Feeling sleep deprived and finally told DH to go to my pil's so he could get sleep following blazing row on Wed night. (he has been there 4 days now...lucky bastard!)

Will try this, this weekend. But has anyone actually had concrete sucess?

fifitot Wed 27-Aug-08 08:46:57

Well somehow, don't know if it was wake to sleep or not but for around a week DD was sleeping in until around 6.30!!!! However she has slowly gone back and back and this morning it was 5.15 again!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

zim Thu 28-Aug-08 23:37:03

what a read! Just sat and read this entire thread for about 30 mins! I've gone from I'M TRYING IT/I'M NOT TRYING IT/IM TRYING IT/IM NOT/I AM/I'M NOT....... etc etc etc depending on whose post i'd read! hows it going solo? I think you're the guinea pig but felt disheartened to hear of your 'blip' hope things have got better?
Dont know if we're trying to run before we can walk with our 12 month old as we've only just got him sleeping through (through controlled crying) so recently that i even feel i'm tempting fate saying that he sleeps through! I think at best we've had a 6.30am wake up but anything from 4.50 is more usual (10 to 5 doesnt sound as bad does it? its that number 4 i dread seeing on the alarm!!shock) I know there's body clock/sleep pattern science behind all this but could someone explain why it has to be an hour before? If we're working on breaking the sleep pattern can you not do the rousing thing at any time? Just thinking i'd rather stay up late than have to set that alarm!!

fifitot Fri 29-Aug-08 16:05:12

Don't know why it's an hour zim. Give it a try it may work!

SoloTheCharmedOne Mon 06-Oct-08 12:50:07

Forgot about this thread, but thought I'd drop an update. Dd sleeps through almost every night. The only time she didn't was when she was ill. I then had to go back to breast feeding her often as she couldn't eat anything. This seemed to get her into a 'habit' and she was waking through the night wanting my milk, so I've now cut it out again(only feeding her before bedtime)and she is sleeping through again. I thought I may have had to WTS train again, but I haven't.
All in all, I'd say it's been very successful. I think that if you are being woken up anyway by the little darlings, then you wake them up on your terms and attempt to train them. I'd recommend it to anyone(and do!).

WilfSpell Thu 13-Nov-08 20:35:24

Searched for this thread in desperation. After 15 months of no sleep (except for the ONE night this week when DS3 slept through for the first time ever, between 7.30 and 6am, and of course i was awake all night wondering what was wrong with him...) I am ready to try something else...

So, will WTS work with a baby who is still pretty breast dependent at night? We've been trying - in between illness bouts which sets everything back - to night-wean him but he's so clingy with me, there have been HOURS of screaming with his dad (and me with earplugs in in the other room...)

What I'm wondering is whether it is better to try and night wean him first; then try the WTS. So some specific questions for those of you who've tried it:

- do all your babies self-settle to sleep anyway? If that is a basic requirement for this to work, it's a no-hoper...

- anyone done it while still occasionally breastfeeding, even sometimes at night?

- can it be done for lots of night wakings, even when the time isn't always regular? DS seems to wake anytime between 11-1, but not always; most nights he also wakes at 4 too. Sometimes though he just goes for the 4am...

I dunno. I would do anything for a couple of nights' solid 6 hours of sleep, which would feel like a luxury.

plod Tue 27-Jan-09 10:27:20

solo, tutter, ruby slippers, napyaddict, calling you all...... has this continued to work for you?? hope you read this thread. My DS is 21 months and waking 5.20-5.30 every day since new year. I am desperate now will literally do anything, if someone said we will chop off your left arm but your DS will sleep til at least 6.30am I would grant it!!!! Please tell me it works. Am going to give it a go tonight. It's hard to be consistent as I work shifts but I trust you all. If it works I will be eternally grateful that I found this thread and for all your advice. Will keep you posted x

Thought I'd revive this thread for anyone else that might be in need.
If anyone knows who plod is or can get in touch with her via CAT, could they push her this way please I don't have CAT and didn't see her January post here.

My update on this is that I don't have any problems with Dd sleeping through once she is asleep. She doesn't often wake earlier that 07:30/08:00, so I can say that I'm happy with this.
The Wake To Sleep method does indeed work well and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone having problems with their lo's waking up in the night on a regular basis.

varicoseveined Sat 02-May-09 21:28:34

so glad I found this thread, I've had enough of DD waking anywhere from 5.30-6.15am. 6.30 or so would be fine, 7am would be bliss!

I'll give this a try in a day or two, once she's feeling better (had a bug in the last day or two)

Good luck! Have a good read through the thread as there are some good tips and advice available on it.

lowrib Sun 03-May-09 01:07:02

Just thought I'd mention for those with younger early wakers, I've found that if I bring my DS into bed with me after his early morning feed, he sleeps for a good hour or even 2 longer than he does if returned to his cot to sleep. (Bliss!)

mummymimi Tue 05-May-09 12:59:21

Hi my DS is fairly good at night but will only sleep for 30-45 mins at a time in the day which is making him quite grumpy. Do you think this will work for naps?

Mummymimi, I'm not sure about that. You could try it anyway ~ nothing to lose! come back and let us all know.

mayorofwhoville Thu 14-May-09 14:16:15

what a fab thread!!!

was just about to start one about my 3yo DS1 who wakes up at 5.30 ish and is very grumpy for most of the morning!

will wave this tread at DH and we'll have a go tomorrow morning!

Good on you mayor, let us know how things go. Have you read this thread right through? there are lots of tips re this technique.

TheNatty Fri 15-May-09 01:29:10

have read this thread all the way through and im going to give it a go with my 23 months old.
5am is just too early for me, and although im sure its a light thing as its only been recently im gonna give it a jolly good try lol!

TheNatty, my Dd sleeps until at least 8.30 most mornings! even in this lighter season and I don't have blackout blinds or even lined curtains in the bedroom. Good luck, come back and tell us hoew it goes

fifitot Fri 15-May-09 21:18:12

I can't believe I found this thread again. Almost a year on from it and I'm still getting up at 5am!!!!

Fifi! did you not get it working for you?! <ask a stupid question emoticon> would you try it again? it really sorted Dd out for me, so maybe it's worth another shot for you?

Broms Thu 21-May-09 13:26:04

Am so sick of the early mornings - my DS is 18 months old -been going on for nearly a year at 5/5.30am and now we are waking even earlier over the last week - 4.30 this morning - I have tried everything - short naps/long naps, wts, more food, less food, more milk, controlled crying. If anyone has any other ideas at all I would love to know them or do I just give up and go with the flow??

mrsshackleton Thu 21-May-09 13:49:20

What has transformed my life is a bunny alarm clock, the one with the illuminated pictures of a sleeping/awake bunny rather than the pop-up ears. That plus cc.

DD2 just two and we bought it about three months ago when I'd had a week solo parenting and almost been killed by the 5am starts. Told her that if she shouted for us before 7am when bunny "wakes", we weren't comign in and she needed to go back to sleep until bunny was "up."

It worked pretty much instantly, every now and then she wakes around 6.15 (already a big improvement on 5) but I just leave her to yell until bunny is up. Most mornings she wakes me with a loud "bunny up, mama!"

The box says it's for children older than 2 1/2 but dd2 is a genius wink so I knew she'd get the message earlier. It's transformed my life, early mornings do something horrible to my body clock and left me quite depressed, now I'm back to my old self after nearly two years of feeling wretched.

Debbbs Thu 21-May-09 22:50:44

I have just got a Gro-Clock from Bump to 3.com. Its BRILLIANT! I had the Bunny clock for my older two, but they kept playing with it, one of them was scared of the face, and then it broke. Plus it used to wake them up even if they were asleep, which was a real pain! This new one is silent, glows at night, and has stars that go out one by one, so that DS can really tell if its the middle of the night or nearly time to get up. It also has a lovely book with it which we all love reading, and its all about how you have more fun in the day if you've had enough sleep at night. Its quite expensive, but I'd do anything for a bit more sleep. Anything..... Fantastic, and I'm recommending it to all my friends!

Broms Sat 23-May-09 05:39:49

Great thanks for the clock ideas - obviously got a few months to go yet but I will buy it now in anticipation! 4.50am this morning and you are right mrsshackleton it does really get you down and I can't wait to feel "normal" again.

My DS (10 months) has been waking himself at 5am for the last 10 days, (before that it was between 5:30am and 6:30am). Having read this thread yesterday, today I woke him at 4am, he was definitely awake as he started crying! Luckily he self-soothed very quickly, but he was still awake for morning at 5am sad. Will try again tomorrow morning.

Day 2 in the WTS house. Today I woke up about 30 seconds before my 4am alarm went off and thought I heard him cry, but not sure. Went into his bedroom and stroked his cheek and his tummy. No stirring. Moved him down the cot a little. Nothing. Continued to stroke cheek and called his name. Mutterings. Immediately left room. However he must have roused too much as he spent the next 30 minutes chuntering to himself (whilst I lay in bed thinking please go to sleep, please go to sleep) and then started to kick off. Tried to get him back to sleep, with shush patting and rocking but no deal.

Please someone come and tell me persistance will work.

Day 3 in the WTS household. Well DS was sick last night and was up for 90minutes between 10 and 11:30pm so I decided not to wake him at 4am as I didn't want him getting up then properly if he wasn't feeling well. I heard him wake at 5am and chunter to himself but then he fell back to sleep until 6am. Not sure what to do tomorrow morning.

mad4myboys Tue 26-May-09 19:08:14

interesting thread. ds1 is 3 nnext month abd been getting up 5.15-5.30 for over a year but always worse in the new year for some reason. i also have a 6 month old whom im obv getting up in the night with so i cant cope with these starts. Ive bought a bunny clock but he just plays with it and keeps bringing it downstairs. REALLY dont know wether to try this or not...dh works away so its just me.....

Do try the WTS method, I had to try it several times(the first time, I stopped too soon). I have never looked back though. It's been fab.

I stopped last week as DS was very ill and I wanted him to sleep whatever he wanted.

Starting again tomorrow. *sobs at the thought of 4am....

artifarti Mon 01-Jun-09 08:31:14

Watching this thread with interest as DS (9 months) has turned into a 5am riser! I have ordered some blackout blinds and two front teeth are about to pop through but then...I might have to brave 4am too...yikes...

Let us know how it goes Libras - good luck!

mad4myboys Mon 01-Jun-09 09:02:45

have tied it for a few days and ds2 has been getting up at 5.45 instead of 5am which is better BUT 6 month old has decided it is ok to get up at 5am now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTS, Day 1 take 2.

Well I tried to rouse him at 4am today, it's difficult to know how roused he is suppose to be without actually waking but he did stop snoring for about 2 seconds and moved an arm so I'll take that. However he woke at 5:15am sad. I am going to try this for 6 days and then move his supper time to 6:00pm which has been suggested in another thread.

nappyaddict Sat 22-Aug-09 11:08:33

bumping for SGK

autodidact Tue 24-Aug-10 08:47:43

Reviving this thread as read it with great interest last week and trying wake to sleep with my 5.25am riser. She tends to be in a bit of a foul mood in the early morning and it's if she wants/needs to be asleep still but can't. Perhaps I'm projecting- I certainly don't want to be up at that hour! I haven't pushed any changes on her since doing wimps controlled crying at about 9 months though as it still feels like a minor miracle that she's sleeping through till 5.25 after her previous wake every hour malarkey. But now feel ready to push my luck and get her waking a bit later

Anyway, day 1 was not too promising! Went up and roused her a bit at 4.25 only for her to wake happily but even EARLIER than usual at 5am and then babble away until 5.25 when she started crying for us as usual... hmm. Shall persevere and hope for a miracle a la SOLO on this thread despite the poor start. Anyone else doing this?

autodidact Wed 25-Aug-10 07:05:34

6am today... Mind you, she was unusually restless during the night and I was worried about teething pain so gave her calpol at around 12, so could have been that. Will keep going and see what happens!

autodidact Thu 26-Aug-10 10:07:38

Hmmm 5.40am today. I realise I'm talking to myself here but that's somehow soothing and maybe someone will search on this in the future and can assess my ultimate failure or success along with the other stories on this thread and that will help them with their decision. Today is the don't stir her and see what happens night. Then, assuming she still wakes at crack of dawn, it's 3 more nights of 4.25am alarms...

Suchanamateur Thu 26-Aug-10 12:09:01

Autodictat- I'm reading/ watching with interest. Hoping you succeed although that then means I may have to set my alarm for an ungodly hour to rouse my early riser! X

autodidact Fri 27-Aug-10 08:02:05

Hi Suchanamateur. Thanks for posting. Nice to know I'm not alone! Unfortuately my bad baby chose to wake up at 4.55am today... Not sure where this leaves things! I think it might be because she has been very erratic with her daytime naps over the last few days as we've been out and about and she's found it hard to settle. Bit discouraging for her to be up half an hour earlier than usual on the night I didn't wake her though. Anyway, I guess I'll just try and see it out and hope for the best. Looks like some of the previous posters had a few ups and downs too so probably worth persevering but if the outcome of all this is that I've reset her bodyclock to before 5am I will be v v v sad!

Raejj Fri 27-Aug-10 12:27:43

You're not talking to yourself I'm following with interest but don't have any advice I'm afraid so didn't post earlier!

gowest Fri 27-Aug-10 21:58:18

Watching with interest!

autodidact Sat 28-Aug-10 10:37:24

Hi Raejj and gowest. Thanks for posting.

Back to the 4.25am rousings and she woke at 5.35am this morning. I'm trying to be pleased that this is 40mins later than yesterday rather than focussing on it being only 10 mins later than her original wake up time! 2 more days to go...

Raejj Sat 28-Aug-10 11:03:13

Oh that's annoying. Let us know how yo get on in two days time!

autodidact Sun 29-Aug-10 08:33:51

Oh dear. We're looking strongly likely to be joining the wake to sleep abject failure camp, sadly. 5.30am wake up this morning. She had done the most enormous shite, which probably didn't help her desire to stay asleep, but even so with only one more day of the waking technique left it ain't looking too good, frankly. Only the 2nd and 3rd nights have been anything approaching promising. It does seem like the "clockwork" waking has been disrupted a bit but anytime between 4.55 - 6 is not a better outcome than a predictable 5.25 in my view, especially as I've had only one 6am "lie-in". I suppose it's not quite finished yet and maybe it'll all settle more positively over the next few nights but at the moment I'm feeling rather despondent about it and wishing I'd not put myself through the 4.25am alarm calls, tbh. [self-pity emoticon]

autodidact Mon 30-Aug-10 11:43:56

I decided to stop the 4.25am wake ups for the moment yesterday with a view to re-starting when/if she settles back into a regular wake up time again. I was feeling a bit like the whole thing had been a waste of time yesterday but then today she unexpectedly went through till 6.25. I suddenly feel a lot more positive!

Raejj Mon 30-Aug-10 13:42:46

Ooh so might be working, or does she sometimes sleep a little later anyway?

autodidact Mon 30-Aug-10 13:55:34

Hi Raejj. She has been waking 5.25am on the dot for the last 3 months or so at least, so the wake to sleep is definitely doing something, I think, in that she's waking up at different times each day now. It's just that until this morning the majority of the times had still been excruciatingly early, some even well before 5.25. Really hope that today was the breakthrough! How old is your baby, btw? What time is s/he waking?

Raejj Mon 30-Aug-10 19:07:08

She's 22 months but I must confess she's a good sleeper. A very good friend of mine is having a nightmare with her child (same age) which is why I have an interest. Her dc wakes any time between 2 and 6 and she's desperate now to stop it....

Tweetinat Mon 30-Aug-10 21:15:40

Marking my place on this thread as DS has started to wake earlier and earlier... Not had chance to read the whole thread yet (just page 1 and 7) but will read tomorrow and then add my verdict if we decide to give it a go. Not sure if it'll work for us as occassionally DS is up for a feed about 1 hr before he wakes for the day and it makes no difference anyway...

anyabanya Tue 31-Aug-10 02:32:07

watching!

autodidact Tue 31-Aug-10 20:06:47

yay- we had another 6.30 wake up this morning. So nice and civilised compared to 5.25. I'm hoping we've turned a corner...

Good luck to your friend, raejj, and to you tweetinat if you decide to give it a go. The only thing I wonder is when you'd rouse them if they have quite variable wake times?

Raejj Tue 31-Aug-10 21:03:16

I am pleased to hear that autodidact!! Well done. I will pass the goodness ontomyfriend

Raejj Tue 31-Aug-10 21:03:51

Good news even!

autodidact Thu 02-Sep-10 22:29:37

Well, things seem to have settled at 6.30am for the past few mornings so [touch wood], most unexpectedly, I'd have to declare wake to sleep a success.

OneTwoBuckleMyShoe Thu 07-Oct-10 07:45:23

Just found this thread and we will be starting WTS tonight with DD (1).

She has been waking between 4-5am for a while now and it is a killer because she then naps at the wrong times (or not at all like yesterday).

belindarose Thu 07-Oct-10 08:59:45

I've been contemplating this for a while too. DD is 13 mo. Until the last week or so, she's been waking VERY frequently in the night and often needing BF to get back to sleep. For a few nights now she's woken less but has decided that the 5 or 5.30am wake up is for good. Previously she'd slept till 6.30am, which we considered okay (although always wished for later!). She can't possibly 'need' her 5am feed (or her 1am one for that matter - but it gets her to sleep quickly!) so I might try WTS. It's just hard to get going because you always desperately hope at 4am that this is going to be the night they sleep!

roslily Thu 07-Oct-10 22:46:35

This is spooky- I am starting tonight with ds and I know you two- buckle and belinda!

I have to do something about this as it is getting earlier and earlier.

Good luck ladies

roslily Fri 08-Oct-10 06:41:24

Right it didn't go exactly to plan. His 5am had become 4am on the dot. So I set alarm for 3am (shudder). I woke up anyway at 2.20. And then the next thing I know was him waking at 4am. Somehow I had slept through alarm. Although he did settle at 4 and slept til 6.15.

Will tr again tonight and change tone of my alarm.

belindarose Fri 08-Oct-10 08:36:23

We do seem to end up in the same places, roslily! I didn't do it last night, as unfortunately she decided to go back to her previous pattern of 2 hourly waking all night anyway! I had been so happy with just two wakings for a few nights - I should learn not to get so complacent! Anyway, I stupidly assumed that as she'd woken up so often, she'd somehow sleep a bit longer. No, it was 5am, playing in her cot, insisting on me staying or scream scream scream. I'm going to start tonight (and set a LOUD alarm, so as not to make your mistake!).

roslily Sat 09-Oct-10 10:12:38

right did it last night. He woke at 1.30, but settled (he is teething) Then got up at 3am disturbed his sleep, wasn't sure how much. He slept til 6am which is progress.

belindarose Sat 09-Oct-10 19:21:45

Well done roslily! I didn't try it last night, as we had a 1.30 - 3.30am awake session (bleugh) and I couldn't face the thought of deliberately waking up again. She woke at 5am and I fed her back to sleep, then about 6.30, so was tired out by the horrible night as I was! I'm going to wait again now till she shows a pattern again!

OneTwoBuckleMyShoe Sat 09-Oct-10 20:44:32

Well night one was a disaster as DD woke at 3:45 and refused to go back down <gibber>.

We changed sleeping bags the second night and I slept through the alarm, thankfully so did she and woke at 6am! Although DH is in the bad books (Ros you know why from pink forum!).

Tonight she has not eaten well but had a later bedtime with the thicker sleeping bag so fingers crossed.

roslily Sun 10-Oct-10 08:56:33

Well last night he woke up at 2am anyway, so didn't disturb him again. He slept til 6am. I have decided to introduce some routine into his day in terms of naps. See if that helps at all.

Hello all.

I'v been trying WTC with my DC (2.10 and 16 months) and could do with a bit of advice. I've done 3 nights of WTS and today was the third day of not disturbing them. Thread here.

They were waking at +/- 5:45 so I was disturbing them at 4:45ish...

On the first morning after the 3 nights of disturbing their sleep DS woke at 6:40 and DD at 6:50.

On the second morning DS was up at 5:30 and DD at 6:00 (disturbed by DS I think).

This morning DS slept until 6:45 and DD to 6:15.

Should I now do 6 nights of WTC or wait and see how things progress? If I do need to do WTS, what time should I be disturbing them? confused

floppops Sun 17-Oct-10 12:56:32

Just read trough the whole thread. Is anyone still giving WTS a go? I am going to start tonight. DD is 9 months and is a really random waker but never before 6.30 and they are very rare mornings. She also wakes at night sometimes once or twice but also has slept through a couple of times..so is hard to work out what to do. Still she mostly favours 4.45am to 5am as wake up time so I will start with the WTS at 4am. It seems reading the thread that it really matters if you wake them completely or just rouse them. My understanding is to wait till her eyes open and then get out quick? So will keep posting.

dycey Mon 18-Oct-10 07:02:45

We too will be trying this tonight - had enough of 5.10 wakes. I don't think it will work for us because this morning m son walked at 4.50 and I got him back to sleep, only for him to wake twenty minutes later. Am so fed up with it tho!

Just spent a weekend with friends whose toddler and small baby sleep til beyond eight - really rubs in that routines work and my responsive parenting method means sleep deprivation in one form or other! Moan moan moan..

Will try it tho and watch / join thread!

floppops Mon 18-Oct-10 07:35:17

Yep dycey I think routines do help but it isn't always easy to fit our lives into them. I tend to get a bit obsessive about our routine but lately have been trying to lighten up a bit as when DD had a cold it went all back to the beginning anyway!
Tried WTS last night at about 3.50am. Went in and stroked her head till her arms started to move and then left quickly. Wasn't sure whether it was enough to rouse her but she then didn't wake till 5.40am so not bad! She was chatting away-not crying so left her till 6.15am. All in all I am encouraged and will keep going.

blue22 Mon 18-Oct-10 07:36:40

Can I join too? I'm officially desperate. My DD is 13 months old and seems to think that the day begins somwhere between 4.30 and 5.30. Realising that this will become 3.30 - 4.30 when the clocks go back has spurred me into action! Not quite sure if I'll try CC or wake to sleep but just want to mark my place and say hello to all other parents of early risers! Now.....must go get coffee grin

ginbob Sat 11-Dec-10 19:00:49

blue22, hows it going now with the 4.30 problem? i have just come across this thread, someone flagged it up and it was nice to see others with the same life-ruining problem. did you try the wake to sleep thingy and did it work

MrsC09 Thu 26-Apr-12 23:16:02

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life! My DS is 22 months & has always been an early riser (5:30-6:30) but has recently started waking at 5. I'm 8 months pregnant & dread to think what it will be like with night feeds and early starts so I've set my alarm to see if this works for us. Will keep you posted!

Anothertoybroken Tue 08-May-12 22:31:10

Just stumbled across this. My 2yo has always been an early riser and when I was getting ready to go back to work after maternity leave, I decided to try the wake to sleep idea. Total failure. All that happened was that I made myself ill by being awake from 4am/worrying about being too tired for work/waking up ds1 ( they share a room).

It's a real eye opener because ds1 was a great sleeper. Sheesh....

Solo Thu 22-Nov-12 23:33:19

I've noticed a number of sleep related threads recently, so thought I'd bump this old one as it has several success stories in it and it is explained quite well too.

Angelico Tue 27-Nov-12 21:10:27

Great thread - have it on watch list for a few months down the line...! DD is only 9 weeks so probably a bit soon to try it.

Slipslidingaway Wed 28-Nov-12 06:54:23

Hi solo and Angelico, think I'm going to give this a whirl (ds wakes 4.38 every morning and won't go back). Will let you know how it goes

Angelico Wed 28-Nov-12 18:09:46

Oh please do grin Good luck!

Slipslidingaway Thu 29-Nov-12 07:13:10

Woke him 338 and he slept until 525 (believe me, an improvement)

Solo Thu 29-Nov-12 13:08:18

Keep going Slipsliding you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!!

Slipslidingaway Fri 30-Nov-12 08:26:08

Thanks solo. 455 today but coughing a lot so I won't give up just yet.

Solo Fri 30-Nov-12 09:52:32

Ah! now it's not a great thing to try if they aren't well! I gave up when Dd was unwell and then tried again once she was well! I've never looked back grin

Slipslidingaway Fri 30-Nov-12 15:56:04

Did you do it then solo? Wasn't clear from your first post. If you did, could you tell me the details? Need the encouragement!

Solo Sat 01-Dec-12 00:41:11

Yes I did it when Dd was 19 months and I was beyond crazy! she is now approaching her 6th birthday and is snoring away!
I would really recommend reading the whole thread; it's not too long, but it will show you several success stories ~ including mine! I'm Solo and SOLOisMeredithGrey. Don't give up; you have to go with it for a week or a little over and it is hard getting yourself up to do it, but it really, really does work. My Dd didn't sleep a single night through before I did this and after a week of training, she has always slept through...that's over 4 years!! grin
Good luck!

Slipslidingaway Sat 01-Dec-12 20:22:59

Thanks solo. Ds is 19 months too and his sleep is killing us! Having to pause at mo as he's Ill.

Solo Sun 02-Dec-12 01:18:46

Well, once he's better, get back on it! do it solidly for a week or it wont work. I tried doing it on about 3/4 nights the first time and it didn't do the job, but a full week and Dd was 'cured!!!'

KLou111 Fri 29-Mar-13 11:49:08

Have just found this thread, have read through the whole thing and I must say, Solo you are an inspiration lol!

My ds is 19mo and has always been a fantastic sleeper (7-7/8/9 from 4 mo).
For the last 2 months he has woken at 5-6 and it is killing us. We've dropped his daytime nap from 2 hours to 20 mins, but he still wakes early! I am at my wits end so will definitely be giving this a try. I don't sleep very well anyway as I always think he is going to wake up! So am usually awake by 4. I am just so tired to a point I cry when he wakes up!
Hubby and I have no time on our own as I'm normally asleep by 8.30, and sex? Forget it!!
Will let you know how I get on smile

CarlyRose80 Fri 29-Mar-13 20:59:59

Will this work on any age baby? Mines 4 months and in a bad habit of waking at 5am for want of nothing. Thinking about giving this a go if the clock change tomorrow doesn't help?

DialMforMummy Sat 30-Mar-13 06:58:41

I am in the same boat. DS2 (11mo) regularly wakes up between 5.15 and 5.45am and then wakes DS1 (2.5y). Once awake, DS1 starts to yelp making it difficult for DS2 to settle.
Normally, I leave DS2 so he can have a chance to get back to sleep, it does involve leaving him to cry. It does sound harsh but since we have been doing that there has been a noticeable improvement as there has been fewer early awakenings.
They both go to bed at about 7pm. This situation is a pain because DS1 was a great sleeper, usually doing 7 to 7.
How long will this last??

UntamedShrew Sat 30-Mar-13 07:18:00

Please report back. I am desperate interested to hear how it goes. Good luck!!

KLou111 Sat 30-Mar-13 07:34:22

Well, I think I did it wrong! I woke ds up a bit too much!
I went in at 4.25, and he was fast asleep. I moved him back onto his pillow, didn't even know I was the. Stroked cheek, said his name, nada! Went to put his dummy in and he clamped his mouth shut, so I though ah, he's waking. Dummy in, fast asleep. I thought hmmmm, I don't think I woke him properly so I opened his sleeping bag, and tickled his sleep and he fully opened his eyes and shut them again.
Well, I thought that was successful......until I tried to leave.......waaaaaaa!!
Thing is, he's in a bed, so until he goes back off, I have to stay as he'll keep climbing out. I finally got to leave at 5.25, he was gone by about 5.10, but I just wanted to make sure. He didn't cry again after the first time, just kept sitting up and reaching for me.
I left my dressing gown with him, and he woke at 6.15, BUT he didn't cry. He got up and shuffled across the landing in his bag to our room. So at least we woke to a happy little man this morning, that was a bonus.
Will keep at it for the next few nights, but I woke wake him next time hopefully!

KLou111 Sat 30-Mar-13 07:35:01

*tickled his feet

omama Sat 30-Mar-13 08:51:06

Klou the key is not to wake him, all u need is to do enough to make him stir slightly, so tug his cover gently & he may sigh or roll over, that is enough to rouse him from one sleep cycle & start another, hopefully sleeping past the time at which he'd usually wake. Hth.x

KLou111 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:42:02

Thanks omama, I was just scared I hadn't woke him enough, then he woke too much!
So, when he stirred and moved his mouth when I went to put dummy in, do you think that was enough (he did turn from his side to his back on his own).
Thanks smile

UntamedShrew Sat 30-Mar-13 17:42:47

When/ what time are you supposed to do it?

I'd like (love!!!) her to sleep til 7 as that's when the DSs wake up but age currently wakes at 5.30. Sigh.

I told DH about this but he pooh poohed it saying the parents are so tired after setting alarms for 4am or so that they feel like they've had a lie in by 5.30am grin

Please help me prove him wrong... and get my sanity back

KLou111 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:56:47

An hour before their usual waking time, I'd try it. I'm awake in anticipation of him waking anyway! smile

UntamedShrew Sat 30-Mar-13 18:13:53

Same here so that sounds worth a try smile

UntamedShrew Sat 30-Mar-13 18:14:04

And thank you!

KLou111 Sun 31-Mar-13 08:53:11

Well, last night was either a complete success.........or a complete failure.

I set my phone alarm for 4.30, straight into DS. He was upside down, so I turned the phone screen off (which I used for light), felt for him and flipped him right way up. Couldn't get his dummy in, but he moaned, turned over and went straight off hurrah!!

He woke, I looked at my phone and it was 6.38!!!!! The LATEST FOR 8 WEEKS!!!

Anyway, I just so happened to look at my watch, and it was 5.38!
My fecking phone had pushed itself on a hour!! So therefore, I woke him at 3.30! Am totally gutted, so I don't know if it would've worked or not. What a waste of a night, arrrrgh!!

KLou111 Sun 31-Mar-13 08:53:26

And happy Easter thanks x

KLou111 Wed 03-Apr-13 12:26:41

Giving up for the moment. Ds has started not going to sleep on his own at 7, goes off within half hour, and waking around 12/1am for an hour or so, and still up at 6ish.

HubbaHubbaHubbaInHoobLand Sat 13-Apr-13 18:59:34

Can i just give maybe a little bit of hope. my lo who was always such a great sleeper until seven am suddenly started waking at 05:30 am for the day from about 5 - 6 months of age. I tried everything and whether its the routine i adjusted for him or maybe down to a possible growth stage he was going through but has now ended we have our 07:00 am wake ups back. He is now nearly 8 months old.

I bumped into a friend today who also said that their lo went through this stage briefly of waking really early (not sure what age exactly but around about the same age as my lo when he was going through this).

I just wanted to share this with you to give you some hope that they can change. If you want to know what routine i did i can post it on here to see if it helps at all with your early wakers.

workingonitagain Sun 14-Apr-13 10:11:21

hi everyon i have an 18 month old ds2 who for about 4 month+ has been waking between 5 20-5 35. i tried to disturb him at 4 30 for about 4 nights but the latest he slept to was 5 55 which is still better than what it was but it's not if considering i can't go back to sleep after 4 30 but i can do it for short period so i tried again for about 4 nights and he never went further than 5 30 this time so wondering if there are some children who this technique doesn't work for or i have to do it for longer? the only thing that worries me that all the stories i hear the children have had a longer sleep when they are disturbed then they may fall back into the old routine once stopped it but mine doesn't sleep in even when i disturb him. he has chicken pox so i gave it up for a few days and he is back to 5 25 again. ds1 who is 3 sleeps til 6 30-7 and im expecting dc3 so wondering what kind of a disaster it's going to be putting the 2 in one room ??? hmm
one more thing when he wakes up at 5 30 he is very awake and then happily goes till 12 30 for his nap of an hr 30 min then goes to bed with ds1 around 7 30-7 45 so i don't think he is very tired from the early waking. maybe he just doesn't need that much sleep ? i know i do sad

jynxx Tue 26-Aug-14 22:04:33

Hi there, I am resurrecting this thread out of sheer desperation. Is there anyone out there doing WTS at the moment? Or who have done it and want to advise!?!Solo, if you are out there, you are my hero, my inspiration at 4.20am every morning. It will work!!! If there is nobody out there, at least it's therapeutic to write it all down!

My 21 month old boy was a bad sleeper, waking 4-6 times per night until I weaned him at 6 or 7 months. Then he started sleeping til about 5 or t.30. It was like heaven. But now, a year on, I am wondering will he ever sleep past 6am on a regular basis. He mostly wakes at anything from 5.20 until 5.50am, but it has been 4.44am and the other night, 4.40am. So I started WTS after reading this thread, or at least as much as I could of it.

So far, I am on Day 5 and losing faith. It should be working by now, right? I am setting the alarm for 4.20am every day.

Day 1: 4.20am - roused him a bit (heart in my mouth in case he woke!!), he slept until about 6.10am
Day 2: 4.20am WTS again, slept until 6.15am (Yayy, I thought, this is working!!)
Day 3: Phone alarm didn't work, I woke at 4.50am by chance, did WTS, he woke at 5.38am. Hmmm.
Day 4: 4.20am WTS again, 4.40 am, he is up, standing in his cot, screaming. He wakes the 1year old baby next door and they keep each other awake for the next hour and a half. Having chatted to my neighbour, they thought their boy had woken ours, they seemed to both start at exactly the same time...who knows, maybe he was still in the shallow stage of sleep after I had roused him and the teething baby next door woke him up.
Day 5: 4.20am again, WTS, I barely touched him, afraid of a repeat performance. Maybe I didn't do it enough. He slept until 5.50am and I managed to get him to lie in his cot (me on the floor beside him) until 6am.

So where are the 7am and 8am sleep ins?! I guess it doesn''t work for everyone? I said I would do 7 days, so I will stick with it.

Anyone there?

jynxx Wed 27-Aug-14 06:18:27

Day 6
4.20 WTS..but when I got to his room, he was already stirring a bit so I thought maybe he has started to re organise his sleepcycle because of the whole process. I crept in amd touched his arm when he was still again and he immediately snatched his arm away and turned over..so I beat a hasty retreat. .5.10am...awake and screaming.

I am broken.

What next???

quietlysuggests Wed 27-Aug-14 09:30:57

start your own thread?

jynxx Wed 27-Aug-14 21:22:54

Thanks for that. I am new to Mumsnet in the past 2-3 days so apologies if i am using it incorrectly, i thought it was ok to use an old thread.

Any (useful) comments/advice welcome.

Devilforasideboard Thu 28-Aug-14 13:26:47

It's fine to use an old thread like this. Maybe you're waking him too late? With DS I've had more success waking him at 3.30ish when he's in a deeper sleep so I guess more likely to go back to sleep. The thing that seems to have helped most though is giving him a pillow...

quietlysuggests Sat 30-Aug-14 20:33:51

hi, in case you check back here, i just meant that if you start your own thread i think you Will get a lot of replies, this thread is long dormant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now