I STILL can't sleep if the wardrobe doors are open - can you?

(93 Posts)
morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 11:54:23

DH thinks I am bonkers but all wardrobe doors much be shut

Why? he says

Monsters! I say

Not sure really, but I can't BEAR wardrobe doors being open.

Am I mad?

motherinferior Mon 05-May-08 11:56:20

Perhaps a little deranged...

morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 11:56:50

oh DEAR I thought I was NORMAL

PinkPussyCat Mon 05-May-08 11:57:31

MP I have this affliction alsoblush

motherinferior Mon 05-May-08 11:57:37

But then I am utterly phobic about heights and bridges.

morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 11:58:55

well that's fair enough MI

those are things you might fall off ...

morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 11:59:17

oh GOOD pink pussy cat

Flame Mon 05-May-08 11:59:29

Oh I thought it was just me!!

I can't sleep with mirrors looking at me either though blush

motherinferior Mon 05-May-08 11:59:47

Probably not London or Farringdon Bridges. They are quite stable. I cannot walk over them. Literally.

Saturn74 Mon 05-May-08 12:00:13

No I can't sleep with the wardrobe doors open.

I didn't actually realise it until I read the thread title, but I do always close them before I go to bed.

And ensure that the curtains are completely closed so nothing can peep in at me whilst I slumber.

<<comes to terms with further evidence of insanity>>

PinkPussyCat Mon 05-May-08 12:01:31

Dh has to have the ensuite door shut before getting into bed... so between us there is much shutting of doors taking place before anything else gets done in our bedroom.<sigh>

morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 12:02:37

lol pinkpussycat

MI you ARE mad

Monsters in wardrobe perfectly reasonable

superloopy Mon 05-May-08 12:04:47

Hey I'm the same. All cupboard doors, walk in wardrobe and ensuite doors must be shut.

Not gaps in the curtains for monsters to look in and I must be totally covered in bed apart from my head also to prevent monster attacks....

You can never be too sure....blushgrin

PinkPussyCat Mon 05-May-08 12:06:04

Agree superloopy!grin

morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 12:13:27

lol

I'm glad it's not just ME

wildhorses Mon 05-May-08 12:18:21

LOL
I still close the wardrobe doors every night and the kids too
Same with the curtains and now got use to sleeping with the landing light on cos of dc.
Can`t sleep without a light at night if we are away without dcs .

justjules Mon 05-May-08 12:18:28

wardrobe doors must be shut (and all drawers, have you not heard of drawer monsters)

bedroom door must be open (so i can hear if the monsters use the front door to get in)

downstairs light must be on to deter monsters, so if they do get in, the dog can see them and they can see the dog,

blush

morningpaper Mon 05-May-08 12:21:55

I make sure the baby-gate is locked at the top of stairs

Even if the children aren't sleeping in the house blush

wildhorses Mon 05-May-08 12:30:04

This is like monsters-incgrin

PinkPussyCat Mon 05-May-08 12:56:46

Oh no!

Jules i didn't know about the drawer-monstersshock

<scuttles off to check all drawers in house>

Naetha Tue 06-May-08 22:13:10

I'm the same - en-suite doors in hotels have to be shut, as do wardrobe doors.

Some deeply ingrained fear of monsters / the dark / the unknown I think.

Glad I'm not mad

thornrose Tue 06-May-08 22:16:51

All of the above and a quick look under the bed for good measure, while pretending to look for an odd sock or something!

Twinklemegan Tue 06-May-08 22:19:00

Same here. And I always pull the covers right up over my head (much to DH's annoyance) in case anything ruffles my hair - which DID happen once, I swear!

jingleyjen Tue 06-May-08 22:19:53

OMG I thought it was just me!!!

I can't cope if they are open and yet can't cope if the door to the landing is closed. hmm

sweetkitty Tue 06-May-08 22:19:59

oh yes another one here everything shut and curtains closed properly

cannot sleep if theres a ticking clock nearby either drives me loopy

Nocca Tue 06-May-08 22:20:04

Me too! Few years ago my mum admitted that she also has to have the wardrobe doors shut, so clearly the daft woman passed her phobia on to me and we are now all doing the same. Long live the Bogeyman! (I claim it is tidyness.)

SoMuchToBits Tue 06-May-08 22:22:14

I have to have wardrobe doors shut, too - but not because of monsters. They are just too untidy if left open!

morningpaper Tue 06-May-08 22:22:55

I don't have a single ticking clock in the HOUSE

they drive me INSANE

maidamess Tue 06-May-08 22:23:34

curtains that don't quite meet drive me mad.

SoMuchToBits Tue 06-May-08 22:24:44

Strange, I can quite happily have curtains open and a whole room-full of ticking clocks, but not wardrobe doors or drawers open!

FloridaKbear Tue 06-May-08 22:27:46

OMG, that is hilarious - I am exactly the same. Wardrobe doors shut, deffo and a can't stick my feet out of the bed either, must be neatly tucked under duvet, you never know what might grab you and suck you under the bed never to be seen again!!

spiker Tue 06-May-08 22:32:34

When I was a student I rented a furnished house one year which had NO WARDROBES WHATSOEVER in it. When pushed, the landlord admitted he had A Problem With Wardrobes and refused to have them in any of his houses.

He put up a rail for me.

Niecie Tue 06-May-08 22:32:41

Oh goodness, I never considered I might be mad!

I thought everybody had a check list,
- wardrobe doors shut
- en-suite door shut (and bathroom too!)
- bedroom door pushed as shut as possible without being properly shut (so DC can still get the door open in the night)
- landing lamp on
- drawers closed
- handbag has to be next to the bed (in case we have to evacuate in a hurry and I need keys, cash, cards etc)
- curtains properly closed and straight
- children's wardrobes and drawers also shut

Seeing it all written down, I would agree that perhaps I am definitely the wrong side of loopy.grin

evenhope Tue 06-May-08 22:33:58

I have to have the wardrobe doors closed but the ensuite door open (no window in ensuite)

I used to have the door open and the landing light on but have got used to having the door shut now.

My mum said she used to have the door shut so she "only had to watch the window". The insanity is clearly inherited grin

spiker Tue 06-May-08 22:34:00

um I have to have the wardrobe doors shut too, but so does DH. I thought this was normal??

DrNortherner Tue 06-May-08 22:34:08

Oooh no I can't bear it either. Equally drawers must be shut properly and no items of clothing hanging out <shudder>

i don't care about doors/drawers/anything.

BUT if there isn't a full glass of water on the bedside table-i can't sleep.

thornrose Tue 06-May-08 22:37:20

I hate things hanging outside of wardrobe, potentially turning into strange dark shapes in the night.

sophable Tue 06-May-08 22:37:41

they must definitely be shut. and drawers closed. it's just annoying otherwise.

good i'm married to a man that can't close anything he opens at all.

specialmagiclady Tue 06-May-08 22:41:48

Wardrobe and drawers shut. Shoulders MUST be covered, except in absolute baking heat of summer/holidays.

Am very pleased that live on 1st floor so maniacs can't press their faces to downstairs windows. Which they always do. Always.

Joash Tue 06-May-08 22:44:28

I can't sleep with any part of my body hanging over the edge of the bed ever since watching an episode of that Mulder and Scully thing years ago (can't rememberwhat it was called) where something came from under the bed an was snatching people.

FloridaKbear Tue 06-May-08 22:46:54

LOL at maniacs!!!

Naetha Tue 06-May-08 22:47:25

Oh, also can't sleep if a shirt is hanging up where I can see it.

hifi Tue 06-May-08 22:47:55

jump on bed so man under bed cant grab my feet.

jaynz Tue 06-May-08 22:53:37

Got to have all doors closed, blankets pulled up and tucked in except for a space to just fit my foot out - not leg just foot. All other doors in house must be shut too, except outside doors. Leave those open for the dogs. Don't care about curtains or windows being open though. But DH is obsessed with the curtains covering all gaps properly.

Wow, this is weird when you look at it all

Niecie Tue 06-May-08 22:54:22

I don't have to do the checking under the bed thing as we have a divan. Saves time on the checklist.grin

I agree with you MMJ about the glass of water too. Do you ever drink any of it because I rarely take more than a sip so it is a bit of mad of me to be so obsessive about it really.

expatinscotland Tue 06-May-08 22:55:11

oh, no, no wardrobe doors open.

expatinscotland Tue 06-May-08 22:55:15

oh, no, no wardrobe doors open.

KerryMum Tue 06-May-08 22:55:50

I have to have a light on in the hallway\bathroom at night.

hatwoman Tue 06-May-08 22:56:13

mp - don;t be so ridiculous. you don't have to shut teh wardrobe doors to keep the monsters in.

everyone knows wardrobes only have bogeymen and gremlins.

KerryMum Tue 06-May-08 22:56:39

thinking niece has a bit of a problem there

Joash Tue 06-May-08 23:03:06

and can't look downstairs as I walk past the top of them to go to the loo in the dark in the night - ever since watching the crappy film "The Boogeyman" where someone glances down the stairs and sees the boogeyman standing there, in the time she takes to turn away and then look back quickly as she registers the thing - it is there, at the top of the stairs - in her face - aaarrrgghhhh!!!!

KerryMum Tue 06-May-08 23:09:43

When I was a teenager I stayed with friends of my parents to mind their spoiled brat kid for a month. They lived in the middle of NOWHERE, surrounded by FORESTS. The family was all upstairs and I was made to sleep downstairs in a big room all by myself.

IT WAS PITCH BLAAAAAAAACCCCKKKKK at night.

I was naturally terrified so I'd turn on the light in the wardrobe so not to be afraid.

Well the bitch mum decided I was wasting all their millions having one solitary bulb on all night and read me the riot act. I kept doing it because I was terrified but she started coming down and turning it off and yelling at me.

EVIL woman.

STILL hate her.

FleeBee Wed 07-May-08 08:36:49

Wowzers, I'm a very strange. All wardrobe doors must be shut at night. But all other room doors must be OPEN!! I can't bear shut doors in case monsters are hiding BEHIND them. This is a bit difficult when people come to visit and I have to remember not to shower with the bathroom door open!! Trying to get into the habit of closing DD bedroom door at night, but when I go in to check on her I'm scared when opening the door in case monsters are stood behind it!! Aaaargh I'm weird!!!

WowOoo Wed 07-May-08 08:44:41

I have to shut wardrobe doors too. I just thought this was normal and what everyone did!
Not sure I'd worry about monsters, but it jsut looks and feels wrong. Curtains must be all straight too. This is more about light getting in though.
FleeBee, you are odd...But funny! was there ever a time someone WAS behind a door? I remember my sister jumping out at me once. I was very cautious for weeks... .

WowOoo Wed 07-May-08 08:45:51

Kerrymum, I don't have a light in my wardrobe..Should I get one?!!

ladytophamhatt Wed 07-May-08 08:49:45

No way....its impossible to sleep with teh wardrobe doors open.

KerryMum Wed 07-May-08 10:49:22

It was in the States. It was a walk-in closet type jobbie. BIG one. with the doors closed and light on in there it was just enough light for me to not have convulsions of terror!

flowerybeanbag Wed 07-May-08 10:52:16

Wardrobe doors must be shut for monsters, ensuite door must be shut for monsters, and the duvet must be tucked into the bottom of the bed in case a spider comes and crawls up under the duvet and up my leg.

blushblush

hattyyellow Wed 07-May-08 10:58:42

Oh my god, this is so reassuring.

I must have doors and drawers shut, the curtains closed to not allow a chink of light in. Duvet must be properly tucked over my feet without draughts and pulled up around my neck - am struggling with this at the moment as I'm pregnant and really hot at night!

DH also throws his clothes at the foot of the bed - I can't bear it! I have to get up and take them off and put them on the chair otherwise I can just "feel" them near my feet!

I sound a bit insane

GryffinGirl Wed 07-May-08 11:16:43

<hatty - you too?! grin) Sounds completely normal to me, MP.

Drawers and wardrobe doors have to be tightly closed, even if they are left slightly ajar it plays havoc with my karma and I can't sleep grin. DH thinks I am mad and will occasionally leave one door a ^tiny bit open to see if I notice (I always do).

Oh, and I absolutely hate those old dark wood, freestanding wardrobes that look as if they are about to topple on top of you, doors open or closed. They give me the creeps.

Jodee Wed 07-May-08 11:19:02

Absolutely not! DH is terrible for leaving wardrobe doors open and looking through the curtains last thing at night and not closing them property again! Main reason for closing the doors is to stop the cat getting in!

I also have to double check the doors are locked and computer switched off.

MummyDoIt Wed 07-May-08 11:33:05

Absolutely agree. Wardrobe doors have to be firmly shut. A THING might come out. I also can't sleep without some sort of covering. If I'm wearing a nightie, I can kick the covers off but if I'm naked, I have to have a sheet over me. Can't possibly sleep naked and uncovered.

VinegarTits Wed 07-May-08 11:35:23

Your not mad, all doors have to be shut in order to sleep, including wardrobes. Suprised your dh does not know this. tut.

cruisemum1 Wed 07-May-08 22:13:16

If you leave teh wardrobe door open the devil will steal your soul. That's what my big sister told me once anyway. It's no wonder we are all barking mad!

cruisemum1 Wed 07-May-08 22:14:28

She also told me that if you write your name in a bible you will go to hell shock. Hmmmmm - maybe she was a bit jealous of her little sis wink

weebleswobble Wed 07-May-08 22:18:19

Oh yes! Wardrobe doors must be shut and I can't sleep on the window side of the bed. I have to sleep on the door side without question. That's completely normal too.

nelliesmum Wed 07-May-08 22:35:10

I'm with Mummydott...also drawers can't have things hanging out and must be closed properly.

nelliesmum Wed 07-May-08 22:48:42

Also will not buy VERY nice barn conversion as means sleeping downstairs....dh not happy.

snowleopard Wed 07-May-08 22:52:04

Don't have a wardrobe, but I must have my feet covered up - I can't bear the feeling that a big monster hand is about to grab them.

It's so stupid though - because what self-respecting big monster hand would be foiled by a duvet?

You're all nutters.

BUT

you do need to make sure the duvet's over your feet ... or the AXEman will get you grin

hattyyellow Thu 08-May-08 13:19:26

Snow leopard that's so true! I have to pull the duvet up around my neck so that the monsters can't pull it down- but it'd have to be a pretty weedy monster to be foiled by that!

Nero Thu 08-May-08 13:48:07

No - I'm the same!

suedonim Thu 08-May-08 14:02:42

To the OP. If you're mad, I'm mad too. grin I have to get out of bed to close any open doors/drawers and also turn off the ensuite light, if it's on. I used to sleepwalk when I was young and my sister frequently had to prevent me from climbing into cupboards in the middle of the night. I also quite often dream that I open a cupboard door and find a whole new room behind it. Yup, I'm mad.....

I can sleep with the curtains open, but if they're closed they must be tight shut with no cracks for peeking Toms. I also have to have a book and a stand-by book beside the bed plus a glass of water.

belgo Thu 08-May-08 14:03:44

I can't sleep eithersmile open wardrode doors just make the room look messy.

OrmIrian Thu 08-May-08 14:04:27

Yes I can.

But DH has to be nearest to the door when he goes to bed to keep an eye out for cybermen.

Me neither.

And I make sure that trousers are never draped over a chair/stand/whatever with their legs dangling apart either. This is because I'm very shortsighted, and in the gloom and grogginess of a night waking I might catch a glimpse of them and think that there was a person in the room. For the same reason I hate mirrors in the bedroom.

Riddled with insecurities. smile

Not mad, perfectly sane. I am horribly messy but all wardrobe doors and drawers have to be shut before I go to sleep.

milou2 Thu 08-May-08 14:50:01

Me too, I even shut my sons' wardrobe doors if I say goodnight to them and notice they are open.

LilRedWG Thu 08-May-08 14:51:41

I'm the same. When we had walk-in closets I asked DH to shut the door and he said,"Why?". "Because of the closet monster." I replied. blush

Squirdle Fri 09-May-08 13:48:25

I'm the same! I have a little ritual before going to bed, check windows and doors. Utility room door must be shut, kitchen door open. Lounge door open, downstairs loo shut. The UR and DL are shut so that if anyone breaks in, they can't hide in there without me knowing blush I used to have to sleep facing the door, but can't in this house so have learnt to live with it.

I have to add this only happens when DH is working away (Mon to Fri mostly) but I have no idea why I am more relaxed when he is here as he wouldn't hear a bomb go off!

Squirdle Fri 09-May-08 13:51:14

Actually this has just reminded me of something my nan used to do. If she was getting home after dark, she would always check under her bed and in the wardrobe for rogue men who had broken into her house!

I asked her once what she would do if there was a man hiding in her wardrobe/under the bed and she replied 'I have no idea, my dear' grin She also used to push a heavy chest up against the front door before going to sleep...actually thinking about it, poor woman must have been terrified...I know where I get it from now...thanks Nan!

EachPeachPearMum Mon 12-May-08 00:36:47

There has actually been scientific research into this, and it is inherent in modern humans, a primal fear- BUT you're all weird because it is supposed to be MEN who are scared of the wardrobe being open, and women scared of something under the bed...

This is from ancient times, and sources of danger, when men would be hunting and have to go into caves, and women would be up trees being attacked from below.

chunkychips Mon 12-May-08 01:10:14

can't relax and eat if the microwave/cupboard doors are open

polecat Mon 12-May-08 03:04:53

Oh my God - I thought it was just me! def have a ritual before bed but I have taken it to the next level of worry. Always have keys and handbag by bed after seeing remake of Dawn of the Dead! Have also seriously thought about how to survive when the infected run amok in the streets! I get very sucked in by zombie movies

im terified of under bed monsters, at 26 its pathetic to check under bed everynite to make sure, also under no circumstance must my feet be out of the blanket/duvet, even high summer and sweating

chunkychips Mon 12-May-08 09:49:20

Just read the op and didn't realise this was about fear of intruders/monsters rather than just random rituals we perform, just in case anyone was wondering why I thought someone would be hiding in the microwave. I can't look out of a window if there's pitch black outside. My parents live in the middle of nowhere and don't draw their curtains at night (downstairs). I hate it, the thought that people can be looking in and we wouldn't be able to see them. Also have a think about mirrors (only in the dark though), have this strange feeling if I look in it, it won't be my reflection looking back, very weird. Obviously watched too many horror films.

edam Mon 12-May-08 09:54:33

I have to have wardrobe doors and drawers shut but just because it would be untidy otherwise, don't think I'd be bothered about monsters.

I did wake dh up at 3.30 recently because I'd had a nightmare and was convinced I could hear noises and there might be in intruder though. blush

Thing is, I got to thinking about my sister who woke up to find an intruder had got into bed with her... it's hard to tell yourself it's nothing at 3am when you know something bad has actually happened to someone close to you. (Luckily the intruder ran off when she screamed but whole thing was terrifying, obviously.)

DiscoDizzy Mon 12-May-08 09:55:51

I'm not bothered about wardrobes, but curtains have to be drawn properly, all lights switched off, front door locked (sometimes we forget) must have checked both DD's and our bedroom door closed too.

serendippity Mon 12-May-08 09:57:10

Cannot, cannot sleep with even a crack of wardrobe left open! I also look under the bed blush, AND i sometimes even check inside the wardrobe just in case anyone is lurking within...I have improved however. I used to have to check behind every, door, inside every wardrobe and under each bed in the house before going to sleep, luckily we only have a small house..and i still do if dp is away
Oh and i'm the same as lilsymummy- feet must never be left out of duvet.

Bonifacio Mon 12-May-08 11:50:14

OMG edam! I would now be able to sleep knowing that had happened to somebody close to me!!

I have to have the duvet pulled right up to my neck too, my dp drives me mad because he untucks all of his side of the bed so he can hang hos feet out!

Also if I go to the bathroom in the night I can't look into the mirror without the light on for fear of the candyman (sounds nice but he really isn't!!)

chunkychips Mon 12-May-08 11:57:23

Hilarious OrmIrian, I do that too, dp has to be nearest the door, otherwise I feel really exposed. He can sacrifice himself if anyone comes in. Lived with a girl once who used to come in really pissed from a night out and leave the front door wide open and we lived in a really dodgy area of east end london. Could have been murdered in our beds countless times.

edam Mon 12-May-08 13:34:58

Well, you don't have much choice, really, Boniface, unless you want to stay awake for the rest of your life. And it's my sister who needs sympathy, not me - poor girl has been on anti-ds for the past four years since it happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now