14 month old sleep issues

(9 Posts)
c737 Thu 24-Nov-16 14:32:30

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or tips on this:

14 mo Ds kicks off in the middle of the night (anywhere from 11pm-3am) big time and we have always just got him up straight away and taken him downstairs to give him his bottle in the dark with very little interaction, and then back to bed where he usually settles til about 5.30. He's usually knackered for the rest of the day as he only sleeps about 9.5/10 hrs at night and it's clearly not enough for him. Also a prolific nap fighter.

I don't really think he needs this bottle in the night and it's knackering getting up and giving it to him, then getting up so early. I often struggle to get back to sleep after feeding him in the night.

Trouble is he's right next door to dd 2.8 and don't want to wake her as she's v hard to resettle once awake so we tend to rush to him when he starts up.

Any comments on this at all will be gratefully received as we just don't know how to make his and our nights better and stop us all from being constantly tired.

FATEdestiny Thu 24-Nov-16 21:10:44

I think you are right that he probably doesn't need that bottle. But I think any alternate to not giving it him is going to result in screaming. If you can't tolerate any screaming because of the older sibling, then honestly I don't think you'll find a magic answer.

Could you leave a breaker of milk in her cot for her to get herself in the night?

c737 Thu 24-Nov-16 22:56:51

Thanks FATE, seems you are a bit of a sleep guru around these parts.

Yes I think we're gradually going to have to move towards leaving the milk in cot. We're going to try and just go in and give him the milk tonight in his cot to feed himself when he wakes as a first step. We've totally helped create this habit by responding with a cuddle and bottle whenever he wakes but it's so hard when you have another light sleeping toddler so close by.

I would totally suck this up if he didn't wake for the day so bloody early.

FATEdestiny Thu 24-Nov-16 23:01:30

Don't forget milk temprature too. If you are aiming towards leaving milk in the cot for her to help herself to, it's going to be room temprature milk.

So if you currently warm the milk you'll need to gradually warm it less. Likewise if she has milk from the fridge she needs to get used to accepting warmer milk.

FATEdestiny Thu 24-Nov-16 23:03:15

...or, could you move away from milk altogether? Much better for her teeth.

Would a bottle of water be tolerated?

How about dilute squash that you dilute more and more until it's just water?

c737 Thu 24-Nov-16 23:10:06

He's a bit of a fusspot, I think he'd go off on one if we gave him a bottle of water! Diluted squash might be one we could try though.

Part of me thinks we just need to be brave and have a few tough nights where we just go in and lie him back down and tell him it's sleep time until he gets that there's no more milk in the night. Harsh but ultimately a lot better for all of us in the end.

Thinking maybe dp could take dd to his parents for a few nights while I try and tackle this so that she doesn't get majorly disturbed.

FATEdestiny Fri 25-Nov-16 17:19:47

Part of me thinks we just need to be brave and have a few tough nights where we just go in and lie him back down and tell him it's sleep time until he gets that there's no more milk in the night.

That's exactly what I'd do in your situation.

Then do all you can to preserve older siblings sleep as much as possible through the transition.

I only didn't suggest it because you wanted a no crying answer.

c737 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:29:16

Yes ideally I did want a no crying answer but I think you're right in that there isn't a no crying answer here really.

We gave him his bottle in the cot when he woke last night and he took it and settled after which is a great improvement from being downstairs feeding him and properly woken up.

Will make plans for a tough week of no milk in the night yet still making sure dd gets some kip - will maybe do it over xmas hols when we're both around and not working the next day.

c737 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:32:11

Thank you for your suggestions, it's been very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now