4 month regression help

(6 Posts)
Beansprout30 Sun 13-Nov-16 21:35:36

So have been reading and reading up on this and from what I understand, I need to work on sleep associations? At the moment I bf (usually) to sleep but sometimes this doesn't work. I don't want to stop bf through the night but I can't cope with the 1-2 hour wakenings. Any tips on how to get through this?

LifeBeginsNow Sun 13-Nov-16 21:43:49

I worried about the sleep regression at 4 months too and in the end, it amounted to one extra wake up during the night.

My little one will be 5 months tomorrow and we are back down to one wake up a night.

I think you can tie yourself up in knots worrying about something that might not happen or might not be as bad as you pictured.

Beansprout30 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:18:31

How long did it last for your little one? This is the second week and feel it's getting worse she's waking every 1-2 hours and sometimes v difficult to get back to sleep. Did you try anything or just ride it out?

LifeBeginsNow Mon 14-Nov-16 04:11:04

I'd say about 3 weeks. My husband is working nights at the moment and whenever he got back, I'd go downstairs all bleary eyed and say the baby wants another bottle. He'd remind me each time that it's probably the sleep regression.

I tried to put things on hold (housework) and look for the easiest way of doing things (ready meals) so I didn't put too much pressure on myself.

Is the baby in bed with you? When I did breastfed at the beginning, I had him next to me so I could just roll him on. You can stay half asleep then as you do it and drop back off fairly quickly.

I've had to stop breastfeeding because of the pills I'm on but in the morning when the baby wakes (can be from 4am onwards), I've taken him in to bed with me for his bottle and then put a dummy in so he drops back off again (doesn't work when he's awake and in his cot).

Beansprout30 Mon 14-Nov-16 08:50:38

She's in the cot in a sleepyhead pushed up next to my bed, I don't bring her in with me as she has reflux and her cot needs to be angled.

She slept from 7pm last night rather than 8.30/9 and she was much easier to settle when she woke throughout the night so perhaps that helped her get a deeper sleep.

user1474026214 Mon 14-Nov-16 20:03:16

Our 4 month regression lasted over two months. By that point, we were exhausted and needed to do something about it. We did the method where you sit next to their cot and move further towards the door over a few nights. It wasn't that bad. Yes, there were some tears but when DC did get upset we soothed her. DC is almost 8 months and sleeps 7-7 waking once for a quick feed. We are all so much happier now and don't regret it at all. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now