No Cry Sleep Solution

(9 Posts)
rebeccaroskellthomas Thu 03-Nov-16 16:49:46

Hi everyone. I'm starting the No Cry Sleep Solution tonight with my nearly 1 year old. We've tried controlled crying which was awful. She is now so clingy and doesn't like staying in her cot. I read the book when she was really little but thought it wouldn't work but it seems to make more sense to me now so we're going to give it a go!

Just wondered if anyone had done the same? I want to try and keep an online diary of the (fingers crossed) improvement.

xx

pipnchops Fri 04-Nov-16 04:29:16

I read the book and really liker it's message. Although I didn't actually follow any of the advice specifically or keep a diary, I just let the messages of the book wash over me and ended up carrying on doing what I was doing (holding DD's hand until she went to sleep in her cot each night and letting her come into bed with us when she woke in the night) but in the knowledge I wasn't making a rod for my own back and the guilt stopped.
The overall message I took away was to do whatever works for your child and you to get as much sleep as possible and if that means letting them into your bed (or other things you feel you "shouldn't" be doing) then that's fine. In fact she's just turned two and often sleeps through the night in her cot now, she just naturally started doing that. Just in time too as I have just had DD2!!

rebeccaroskellthomas Fri 04-Nov-16 12:23:12

That is reassuring thank you!

Last night DD was very awake at sleep time (late nap at nursery) so it took me a good 45 mins to get her to sleep. She went down awake though and I just had to rock her/pat in cot. She woke at about 10:55 but she had pooed and that properly woke her! She wasn't happy at all. Took about 45 mins again to settle her as I was trying to put her down awake. Ended up asleep I think! She then woke at about 2:45, fed her and she went back down OK but then woke crying soon after. Partner went in and cuddled to sleep but took about 1 hour. She then woke at 5:45 for a feed and went back down fine and woke at about 7 for the day.

Definitely not a great night but seen as for the past few nights one of us has ended up on the couch with her it's an improvement haha.

MessezFaire Fri 04-Nov-16 12:30:21

I bought it was a fantastic book, definitely made me feel more positive about the way I was handling bedtimes. I kept a diary for a while using an app and that actually made me realise that the days where he had more naptime meant he slept better at night. After a few months of trying gentle changes to our routine and following ideas from the book we're in a much better place. I hope it goes well for you too!

rebeccaroskellthomas Fri 04-Nov-16 12:42:13

Ooo can you remember what the app was called?

MessezFaire Fri 04-Nov-16 21:31:07

Yes, I used sprout baby tracker. The free version is pretty good, in the end I paid for the full version but not sure I really needed to

happymummyy Fri 04-Nov-16 22:44:35

I'm just starting this as well- my LO is 8 months and his sleep is deteriorating as he gets older. I think I've made lots of mistakes like feeding him to sleep, bringing him into bed etc. He doesn't seem capable of putting himself to sleep and doesn't really enjoy being in the cot. Arrrrrgh. Had a terrible night last night but maybe it was teething-related. All I know is that I'm beyond exhausted and think he must be too.

I keep falling asleep whilst reading the book (!!!) but I'm determined to give it a go! Nice to hear success stories too. Hope it works for you Rebecca!

MessezFaire Sat 05-Nov-16 00:06:48

I wouldn't count any of the things you mention as mistakes. I was worried about exactly the same things at the time but now looking back I would do it exactly he same way again and ignore all the noises about self settling etc. From my baby group it has come to us all eventually, some more easily than others and al at different times.

HeCantBeSerious Sat 05-Nov-16 00:27:55

(Sigh) The developments your baby goes through in their first year are bigger than at any time of life. Growing, physical leaps like holding heads up, sitting, crawling, walking, mental leaps, teething, learning to eat, communication, coughs and colds etc. Is it any wonder they don't have consistent sleep?

Chill out about all the rods for your own back and the obsession about them self settling. They'll get there in their own time. Honestly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now