Napping at nursery

(15 Posts)
Amazonmulu Tue 01-Nov-16 12:23:12

My DD will be starting nursery full time age 10 months  She only naps on me during the day - 30min in the morning, 90min at lunch, and 30min I the afternoon.

I'm really worried how she is going to cope with nursery, will she sleep at all? Will she have hysterics ?

Has anyone gone through this? What effect did nursery have on your LO's sleep?

ChipIn Tue 01-Nov-16 12:32:37

My DD started nursery at 6 months and until that point normally slept only on me for naps. We told nursery how she sleeps with us (milk, dummy) and gave them a comforter (tshirt that I'd been wearing) and she sleeps fine in their cot now. For the first couple of weeks she barely slept on the days she was there, but no issues now she's full time. Babies will get used to it, and if the only way your baby will sleep is on someone, they should follow your instructions.

Cocolocos Tue 01-Nov-16 12:36:33

Following, as I'm dreading DD starting nursery this month. She sleeps in her cot at home, but it is not easy to get her to sleep and her naps are crap/short. Other friends told me that their DC behave better at nursery than at home!

Marmite27 Tue 01-Nov-16 12:38:18

Ha, mine won't nap at home at all, at nursery she naps twice a day.

I'm sure it's witchcraft...

NickNacks Tue 01-Nov-16 12:38:42

I'm a childminder and every parent who has told me their child is a crap sleeper has been done with me. To begin with it's tough but they soon get used to it.

NickNacks Tue 01-Nov-16 12:38:52

*fine

OohNoDooEy Tue 01-Nov-16 12:40:46

nursery nurses are magicians. They get a room of 2 year olds to nap on mats on the floor, at the same time. Don't worry.

MadeForThis Tue 01-Nov-16 12:45:01

My DD is breastfed to sleep and will never sleep in a cot. Only on me or beside me. Been at nursery for a couple of months. Was incredibly worried before she started that she wouldn't ever sleep.
On short days at the start she didn't sleep. But didn't really need to.
Her first full day she slept 10 mins in a cot with no tears first, next day 45 mins. Now sleeps a couple of hours.
Still won't entertain sleeping in a cot at home !!

HRarehoundingme Tue 01-Nov-16 12:55:55

This is why nursery nurses/nannies aren't fans of sleep cues unless its a comforter such as a dummy/teddy. If a baby will only sleep if cuddled/breastfed then it sets them up to have an even bigger emotional change when starting nursery or any sort of childcare. If I were you I would work on a couple of different ways to settle her even if its transitioning her to the cot once she nods off etc.

I have worked in a nursery and as a nanny and I have been able to get babies who are cuddled to sleep/sleep on their parents to sleep in their cots or to self settle/transition through a sleep cycle. It takes some effort but can be done.

It will be hard on your dd if you don't help her with this as especially in a nursery situation there may be 11 other babies - they can't all be cuddled to sleep. We use patting and stroking

NerrSnerr Tue 01-Nov-16 12:58:34

My 2 year old started nursery when she was one. She would only nap on me. She had no problems napping there at all. Now for us she will only nap in the pushchair or car, at nursery she sleeps on a mat with all the other 2 year olds. I agree, it's witchcraft- they are geniuses.

Gillian1980 Tue 01-Nov-16 13:02:24

My dd only napped on me at home until 13 months.

Yet mysteriously she has always been happy to nap at nursery in a cot, since starting there at 10 months!

You may be surprised 😊

Amazonmulu Fri 04-Nov-16 13:34:52

Wow that's amazing - so many positive stories. You've given me hope!

We are transitioning her to a cot for night time naps (and weaning from swaddle confused) and will work on day time naps.

fluffikins Fri 04-Nov-16 18:44:18

Mines the same, nightmare at home, sleeps fine with her belly rubbed in a cot at nursery. Little madam!

FifiFerusha Sat 05-Nov-16 06:27:48

My DS can self settle at home and naps for up to three hours sometimes. At the cms, no matter what he will not SS. She tries to get him to sleep in a pram but he will only nap 30 mins. A different circumstance like nursery may mean they may sleep better or worse. How it happens at home may be entirely irrelevant so I wouldn't worry until it happens, don't work too hard on it. They adapt in their own way. Just wish my DS's adaption was a bit more positive, has all,sorts of OT effects but there isn't much I can do about it unless I give up work ha( I wish) ;) x

TataEs Sat 05-Nov-16 06:35:07

my nursery is very gentle, they allow ds2 to nap on them anyway. they then put him down.
ds1 never napped at nursery. he was a terrible all round sleeper tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now