13 month old naps for one hour a day

(10 Posts)
TheFabledSnake Sat 29-Oct-16 15:29:16

My DD just turned 13 months and her usual schedule is:
7/7.30 wake up
12-1 nap
7 bedtime

She used to sleep for 2 hours during the day but has just recently stopped. She's walking but not talking, quite an energetic child and never stops moving.

I'm concerned that the hour during the day is not enough. Anyone with a similar experience?

FATEdestiny Sat 29-Oct-16 16:32:16

Is she all right on it? If she is then it's fine for her. How other individuals would be with that much sleep really isn't of any consequence to your daughter.

If she's grumpy, tetchy, cries a lot, whiny, "wired" - these would all be signs she needs more sleep.

If she's mostly happy when she's awake. Then all is fine.

TheFabledSnake Sat 29-Oct-16 16:37:51

It's difficult to say. She gets a bit grumpy and falls down a lot which she only does when she's tired.

I guess I was asking for confirmation, she'll probably stop napping altogether by 2 argh!

Thanks for your reply

FATEdestiny Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:59

My view is zero tolerance on whining or whinging. So the moment that starts - child is going to sleep (or will be getting more sleep the next day If going to bed isn't appropriate at that time).

I have four children so no time for grimpiness.

At 13 months my youngest was napping 9am-11am and 1pm-3pm with a 8pm-7am night. But my dd isn't your dd, they will be different.

TheFabledSnake Sat 29-Oct-16 17:37:52

I agree, I can't stand whining and I know it means tiredness. It's just odd, she used to do 2-3 hours usually spread over 2 naps not long ago but she dropped her afternoon one (just plain wouldn't sleep).

I try to stick to making her go down but she stands and sings and then eventually starts crying and after an hour I just get her up. And then she might still rub her eyes or look tired.

She does pretty well at night, although she used to sleep through, her teeth get her up every few nights.

I suppose the bright side is that she wakes up later when she's been like this.

fluffikins Sat 29-Oct-16 17:55:51

Do you give lunch before the nap or after? I find my dd naps much better on a full stomach, understandably

ElspethFlashman Sat 29-Oct-16 17:58:51

DS did that. Dropped 2nd nap at 12 months and after that it was only one hour a day.

Oddly, he kept up that nap for ages and ages.

It was just the way he was made.

LegoCaltrops Sat 29-Oct-16 18:07:15

My DD dropped daytime naps totally at around 12 - 13 months. She'd been cycling down since about 10 months, so it went from daily, then she'd miss 1 day a week, the 2, etc, until she was only napping when she was ill or on car journeys (rare as we don't have a car). She sleeps well at night (albeit a nightmare to persuade her to go to sleep) but seems to need less sleep than others her age. At 1 year she used to sleep about 9.30-8, at 4.6 years she sleeps about 8-6.

All kids are different, as long as your child is healthy, alert in between sleeps, & you are managing reasonably well with whatever routine you have, it's fine.

HRarehoundingme Sat 29-Oct-16 18:23:37

How does she sleep at night? Does she sleep through? You say she wakes after an hour if you left her would she go back to sleep do you think?

I would be trying to see if I could do lunch at 11.30 and bed at 12.30 maybe with a full stomach she could last longer?

Sorry for all the questions grin

TheFabledSnake Sat 29-Oct-16 19:18:41

She has lunch with a little snack before the nap. I made the mistake of putting her down before lunch which was a big mistake!

She usually sleeps through, occasionally one wake up for dummy, or if she's ill or teething, she'll wake a lot. And she self settles for bedtime.

I have tried leaving her longer, just going in to lay her down but she's stubborn. If she wants up, she'll let you know. We do have blackout curtains and it is fairly quiet.

I think I just need to adjust my expectations perhaps? I always hoped she'd be like me, but she's like her dad instead!

Thanks for all the replies, I guess she prefers her night sleep than naps!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now