11 month old, dummy at night

(3 Posts)
elelfrance Fri 28-Oct-16 13:37:56

My 11 month old sleeps with a dummy at night, always has. He's not a bad sleeper, but maybe twice or three times a night, he wakes, and cries because he can't find the dummy. Me or DH go in, pop back in dummy, and off he goes back to sleep, its a 1-minute job.

I have a collection of glow in the dark dummies in the cot, but he just can't seem to find them ... i'm not sure he tries very much, just sqwaks until we get there (we leave him at it for a few minutes to see if hell look for/find it himself, but don't want him roaring too long, as he would wake his sister.. His older sister had been well able to find her dummy herself at that age.

Now in the grand scheme of baby-sleep, I know this isn't a big deal, and am conscious that people may be reading this thinking i should count my blessings, which I do, he sleeps 8-8 apart from this.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a situation like this, and if trying to wean off the dummy has worked ? Or has anything helped baby to find it himself ?

FATEdestiny Fri 28-Oct-16 13:42:44

I sewed a ribbon into the chest of the sleeping bag. Press stud at end to attach dummy to.

Length of ribbon do it reached to baby's ear, then can't get around the neck. Baby soon means to do a sweeping motion under chin to locate ribbon and therefore dummy.

This also allowed me to establish the 'dummy for sleep time only' rule because the dummy is perminantly left attached to sleeping bag. Child leaves it behind in the cot when they get up. Naptime involved saying: "shall we go and find your dummy?"

FATEdestiny Fri 28-Oct-16 13:43:44

Baby soon means learns*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now