Usually good sleeper - 2yr waking 3 times in the night

(6 Posts)
mellongoose Wed 26-Oct-16 11:46:57

My DD was 2 last month. She slept through at 6.5 months and apart from sleep regressions and growth spurts her sleeping was always pretty good.

However, because her wakings were so few and far between, I would scoop her up and bring her in with us. This appears to have become a habit. I don't go in straight away - I see if she will go off again, first. Last night she woke 3 times always calling 'mummy' and crying and wanting a cuddle. If I try to settle her back down in her own bed, she screams.....so last night I ended up bringing her in....again hmm.

So I have 2 questions;
1) Why is she waking up at all? She doesn't want a drink, isn't too hot or too cold etc.
2) How can I successfully get her to settle...without leaving her to cry?

Thanks MNers!! x

FATEdestiny Wed 26-Oct-16 21:56:29

It's the time of year for colds and viruses. Could she be poorly?

I would stay and comfort her in her room, rather than bringing her into yours.

NewlySkinnyMe Wed 26-Oct-16 22:04:23

Exact same thing happened with my 2yo. She woke 3-6 times a night for about 6 weeks. Thid week she has startes to sleep through again. I think kts a sleep regression. Nothing worked, she has just slowly improved.

Mamushka Wed 26-Oct-16 22:09:13

It does sound like going into your bed has now become a habit and she is going to be upset if she doesn't get that comfort. Maybe you could lie down with her in her bed (if it's a bed rather than a cot) until she settles. Then try and settle her just beside her bed, and try to make it more brief each night?

Do you have a DP that could try and settle her, to break the dependence on mummy for getting back to sleep?

Does she have a cuddly toy or anything she sleeps with?

It does sound like she could be coming down with something or teething.

Derby2 Thu 27-Oct-16 09:42:13

The same thing is happening with us OP. Our 2.4 year old who used to sleep through is now waking several times a night and sometimes staying awake for 3 hours shock.

Even if we bring him into bed he won't settle, so we've had to resort to sleeping on the floor next to his bed.

I'm really hoping it's just a phase!

mellongoose Thu 27-Oct-16 10:20:14

I'm lucky in that I only work 3 days a week with early mornings. OH out every day pretty much. I will try to settle her in her own room on the nights when I don't have an early start.

It's my fault....I'm such a deep sleeper and need loads of sleep that I just don't think straight in the middle of the night!!! Must do better! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now