Sleepyhead weaning tips?

(13 Posts)
Tumtitum Tue 25-Oct-16 12:05:47

So we've gone cold turkey on the sleepyhead. DD is 8 months and as outgrowing it and we travel a lot to see family by plane and train so carting it around is becoming a huge PITA! We slept at a relative's house on Sunday and she was in a small travelcot so I didn't use the sleepyhead as she was more contained. She took a long time to settle and didn't self settle but didn't sleep any worse than usual (she has multiple wakes anyway, sometimes self soothes, sometimes doesn't). I decided to bite the bullet and go cold turkey in her cot last night (we have already been doing the pillows under the sheets and moving it further away thing). She had to be rocked to sleep and did wake more than usual in the early part of the evening. Is there anything else I can do or do I just need to ride out a tough couple of days then it'll be better?? I worry she's not as warm without it and that her cot mattress feels so much harder...
Her first nap this morning she settled ok but only slept 30 mins. Trying to get her down for second nap now and it's not going so well so far...

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Oct-16 12:41:40

I assime thd biological benefit of the sleepyhead is the enclosed feeling giving a secure, safe feeling. It's a bit like mimicking being held, in that the baby feels snug and held in position.

How about tightly tucked in blankets? It's a different type of 'enclosed' but might help. I tucked the sheet in across-ways, long side across the cot and tucked all the way underneith the mattress.

I used to use a thin sheet over the top of baby in a grobag sleeping bag.

You could team this with rolled up towels under the bottom sheet to encircle baby.

Tumtitum Tue 25-Oct-16 15:05:52

I tried a blanket tucked in over the top off her today but she kicked it off. She's very strong! She's always been a nap resister and has never gone without a fuss!!
What kind of sheets do you use when you have towels rolled underneath? Our sheets are so tight fitting I don't think I could get any underneath! When I was moving out the sleepyhead pillows I had a separate sheet over them tucked into the side of the cot but thinking back I'm not sure how safe this was as she could probably have pulled them loose and got tangled in them...
Ideally I'd love for her to be able to sleep just in the cot with no gimmicks but I guess she just might not be ready?!

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Oct-16 15:13:47

Sounds like the blanket wasn't long enough. When I was tucking in, we are talking a sheet that goes all the way under the mattress and out the other side. Both ways. Try a single bed sized sheet cut along the short edge to make two long, thin rectangles. Wrap right around the cot mattress a several times.

What kind of sheets do you use when you have towels rolled underneath?

I just use a normal cot from birth do never had this issue of weaning from a sleepyhead. I was just suggesting rather than advising from personal experience.

Tumtitum Tue 25-Oct-16 16:24:43

Gosh, how do you manage to tuck it all the way under the mattress with the baby in the cot? Our mattress is a pretty tight squeeze and I tend to have to lift it up to get the cot sheet around it!!! Maybe it's just my poor technique...!

CottonSock Tue 25-Oct-16 16:30:38

I'm going to try my maternity pillown under sheet when time comes. Sometimes when away I mimic the sleepy head with a swimming woggle, which works a treat

FATEdestiny Tue 25-Oct-16 17:00:58

Gosh, how do you manage to tuck it all the way under the mattress with the baby in the cot?

I have one side removed off the cot and the 3-sided cot butted up to my bed.

So I would start off with the side furthest from my bed. Lift mattress and start at opposite side to my bed. Tuck sheet in all the way under mattress and out the other side (side nearest my bed). This is done without baby in the cot.

Place baby in (feet to foot), pull excess sheet over baby and I could then tuck in by sliding my hands under the mattress on the side closest to my bed. Easy to teach all the way under the mattress by sliding hands under there, even with baby in.

Tumtitum Tue 25-Oct-16 17:05:46

Ahhhh that makes sense. Unfortunately/fortunately DD is in her own room now with both sides on the cot. Thanks for all the tips anyway, will see how it goes and if we can fashion any alternatives if we need to!!!

fluffikins Tue 25-Oct-16 21:11:16

Mine is still in her sleepyhead grand but I'd just ride it out. We had a hospital stay with no sleepyhead and she was OK most of the night. I tried without at home and she did wake more but I suspect that after a week or so she'd be fine. Have you got air wraps around the cot? As our issue was her getting arms and legs stuck when she had more freedom of movement

Tumtitum Tue 25-Oct-16 21:31:22

No air wraps but she's in a gro bag so her legs are constrained at least! She's also not that mobile yet although currently trying to crawl so it'll all change in the coming weeks I'm sure!!!

MYA2016 Wed 26-Oct-16 07:39:27

We took ds put of sleepyhead at 6.5 months. Initially it was hell we couldn't put him down. On night 3 or 4 we started lying him down on his tummy and that worked a treat. No rolled up towels or anything like that helped us

Tumtitum Wed 26-Oct-16 09:23:57

She hates her tummy still sad but last night wasn't so bad so I'm hopeful we can soldier on! grin

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 30-Oct-16 09:23:06

I took the sausage shape out of the sleepy head and tucked that round ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now