18 month old suddenly won't settle...

(5 Posts)
Jojo13 Tue 18-Oct-16 11:59:02

Usually settles himself lovely, burbles himself to sleep within 10-20 mins and goes through 7.30-7.
I'm guessing from what I've read on here it's probably just a phase but he has suddenly started to be a total bugger when going to bed. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him and he is definitely tired so think he is probably just trying to push some buttons.
My question is, do I go back to letting him cry/controlled crying type scenario? I've been getting him up and laying on our bed with him until he drifts off but this took hours last night! But he screamed if I put him in his cot.
Obviously don't want to make a problem worse by getting him used to sleeping with me, but not sure if crying it out is the right thing to do if it's a phase?! Argh! Just when things were going so well....

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks lots

IrnBrufan Thu 20-Oct-16 21:50:44

Hi - I'm going through EXACTLY the same thing
Mine is 17 months, we have never 'put' her to sleep. She always went into her cot and put herself to sleep. Didn't wake through the night and self settled when she did.
Now we're cuddling her for 45-60 mins before bed, she's waking st least 3 times per night and waking super early.
I was reading up tonight and apparently there's a sleep regression at 18 months. It suggests going back to sleep training and being strong aka not giving in and cuddling babies to sleep. It's apparently linked to separation anxiety but also kids at this age learn how to manipulate to get what they want. The thing I read said to start explaining and reasoning with them and to refer back to sleep training if that doesn't work sad hard times. I'm pregnant and not sure to my girl not sleeping so it's extra hard going
Good luck

FATEdestiny Thu 20-Oct-16 21:57:09

Instead of lying on your bed, could you stay with baby and settle in the cot? Keep reassuring and shushing, stroking and tickling, patting and rubbing.

Baby might cry, but at least you are there as a reassuring presence.

The key will be getting baby used to settling to sleep in the cot.

Jojo13 Fri 21-Oct-16 07:05:19

Thanks so much both.
Irnbru - am also pregnant again and thinking now is not a good time for my ds to decide to be a handful at night time! Thanks for advice, after a couple of bad nights this week decided to prepare to go back to being firm and sleep training but he has been absolutely back to normal the last couple of nights, seems to just be every so often.

It's been difficult because comforting him in his cot has never worked, has always seemed to just wind him up more!
Hopefully it won't become tooooo much of a regular habit. Hope you are having a better time with yours? And congrats! X

IrnBrufan Fri 21-Oct-16 08:44:54

Oh it's hard going isn't it!! Mine was up at 130 and at 3 we gave in and brought her into our bed. I HATE doing that but some nights is the only way we get sleep at the moment!
The timing definitely isn't the best confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now