HELP! It's MYA and I think we're now in the 9 month regression :(

(7 Posts)
MYA2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 11:29:54

Some of you will remember me from the 4 months sleep issues we had. DS was a nightmare waking around 10 x a night from 4 - 6.5 months.
Anyway things were really good and he has been sleeping 11 hours straight at night and having a 1.5 hours morning nap and 1 hour afternoon nap for 2.5 months now.
Fast forward and he's now 9 months and the last week and a half things have gone to absolute shit. He will nap for a max of 30 mins in the morning (taking me longer than this to get him down). Then 20 mins in the afternoon. He doesn't seem tired so we're putting him to bed at normal time of 7.30. He is then waking up every 45 mins.
I am managing to get him back down by lying him down and patting his back but it goes on all night and by 11pm literally nothing will settle him and he ends up in our bed for the night.
He's then waking about 7am and the whole process starts again.
He was always able to self settle but since he's learned to pull himself up he just can't do it. He will stand there all night if he can. I lie him down and he's straight back up.
I don't know what to do, I feel bad that were bedsharing as we've not done it for so long that I'm worried he's now expecting it?
I'm also wondering if I should be dropping him to one long lunchtime nap rather forcing two very short naps?
Please help!!

2014newme Tue 18-Oct-16 11:36:05

20 mins doesn't allow for REM sleep. A sleep cycle is 45 mins. So the 20 min naps are a bit pointless.
Never heard of 9 month regression.

MYA2016 Tue 18-Oct-16 20:04:02

Anyone? ?

CobsAhoy Tue 18-Oct-16 20:36:39

Hey OP,

My DD went through a similar thing when she learnt to climb on/off the bed (think it was about 9months), it was like she was just so excited by this new skill that she couldn't stay asleep.

I don't have any advice as such, just that between 7-12 months I found DDs sleep was really changeable, inknow there is apparently an 8-10month regression but I found that with teething/developmental leaps/growth spurts/new skills there was a period of about 4 months where sleep was all over the place.

In our case it started to get better from about 12m, she was established on 1 nap a day (think 9months is a bit young to start this though), seemed to have a much better grasp of controlling her own body and the separation anxiety was subsiding.

I think like everything else with babies it will pass, and don't feel bad about bedsharing - my attitude is 'by any means necessary'.

Good luck!

CobsAhoy Tue 18-Oct-16 20:40:10

But also - I remember how crushingly heartbroken I was when my hard-won nap breaks went to shit! So gutted! But they are back on track now, hopefully yours will be too soon enough brew

BlueKarou Thu 20-Oct-16 14:10:31

Yup, my 8 month old is in this 8-10 month regression phase at the moment. A couple of weeks ago he was pretty much STTN, now he's waking a number of times, quite distressed. He's recently dropped from 3 naps a day to 2, (although some days still 3, depends on what we're doing)

I cosleep/bedshare with my son and plan on doing so at least until I stop breastfeeding - it's just too convenient at the moment. 9 months is still very young - do what works at this stage.

Like Cobs says; it's probably going to pass, these kids are changing so much at the moment. In 3 or 4 months he might be a whole different kid.

LittleElephant123 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:04:49

Nice to see we are on the same boat again Mya2016!

I'm so glad things got better for you! We've still not had a full nights sleep. THE best we've had is from 9.02 to 4.30 only stirring once. We thought this was fab! DD only done it once though lol.

I'm so glad my DD isn't the only bionic baby! She literally can't keep her eyes open but when I go in she's somehow managed to get herself standing up. Wanting to play.

I've tried dropping a night time feed but the past 2 nights they seem to have found its way back in!

Help! lol smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now