Pick up/put down method on baby cuddled/jiggled to sleep

(9 Posts)
arthurbaby Wed 05-Oct-16 08:10:02

4.5 month old is getting worse and worse, waking either every time he is put down or 10 minutes later or if I'm lucky 45 minutes later, for the last 4-5 weeks. Even if he's had a bottle of formula (he is predominantly breastfeeding) he doesn't settle so I suspect it's habit rather than hunger. Basically I'm wondering if the pick up put down method might work as currently I'm jiggling/cuddling him to sleep 10+ times a night with little success/sleep for myself. If he cries my toddler wakes. Husband tries to help but has a job where he needs a reasonable amount of sleep and baby is sleeping in our room in a crib until 6 months. Co-sleeping is not something I would want to do. Thank you

ginfan Wed 05-Oct-16 08:15:28

Hi, I feel your pain. My little boy went through this at 3 to 4 months. I was exhausted and didn't know what to do.
I was worried about cry it out, not in a judgmental way, as I think everyone has to do what's right for them, but it wasn't right for me. I was looking for an alternative and a friend introduced me to pick up put down.
It worked so well. He went from waking every 20 minutes to sleeping for 4 hours to six hours. He's now almost two, and is a great sleeper.
This option might not be for everyone, but I found it a life saver. I loved that I could pick him up and soothe him, and that I didn't leave him.
I'd recommend the baby whisperer book for help with it.
Good luck. I hope you've got support & a chance to rest and look after yourself as well.

arthurbaby Wed 05-Oct-16 18:47:27

Thank you that gives me hope. I'm thinking of waiting til half term when I will have help at night and during the day with 2 year old and baby. As I realise I might get zero sleep for a week or so with PUPD

ginfan Wed 05-Oct-16 20:33:48

Sounds like a good plan. I found the first night tough, second and third nights amazing!
He did go backwards, but only inasmuch as waking every 2-3 hours, never as bad again. The book suggests that wake ups at the exact same time every night are habit, but you'll know what suits you and your little one.
Think it took about 4 weeks in total, but I was getting 4 hour plus blocks of sleep by that stage. I persevered until he was regularly sleeping approx 5- 6 hours, feed, then he'd go back himself happily for another few hours. Felt amazing after no sleep for weeks!
Good luck & hope it works for you x

ferriswheel Wed 05-Oct-16 20:35:26

I have 3, the oldest is 3 so I totally understand that it can be tough.

I'd wait til six months and then go hard core. Done and dusted in one night, two tops.

arthurbaby Wed 05-Oct-16 20:50:05

Thank you both for the advice and support

Huishnish Wed 05-Oct-16 21:50:44

If you do decide to do pupd we've got a support thread going at the moment (don't know how to link to it, it's called pupd success stories/advice). I've been doing it with my feed to sleep wee one for 2 weeks now and it's really helped. He goes down now wide awake and sends himself happily to sleep. Nights still aren't brilliant but as long as I feel he might need a feed in the night (he's only 5.5 months) I'm not sure I'll be able to get him sleeping through. I couldn't have done cc or cio so for me it was a good way of encouraging him to sleep while being there to support him. Like you I've got a toddler too so being up all night was not really an option any longer. Have to say though the first night was pretty awful so be prepared! Good luck with whatever you decide x

arthurbaby Thu 06-Oct-16 01:23:46

Thanks I've had a read

arthurbaby Thu 06-Oct-16 02:12:14

Bumping for success stories or alternatives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now