Sleep regression or something else???

(13 Posts)
MidnightStars Sat 24-Sep-16 07:31:01

Our LO is 13 weeks 5 days. He is also allergic to cows milk and has reflux. We changed his milk this week and a few weeks ago gave him gaviscon but stopped due to colic like symptoms in the night.

He's also teething and has been for a few weeks. He is also learning to sit up atm and trying to do this himself.

He went from sleeping 6/7 hours in the night with one feed to constantly wriggling, being clingy, wanting cuddling, waking every 2/3 hours wanting feed.

I thought this sounded similar to a sleep regression but also with his new milk I'm really unsure. Does this sound familiar to anyone else. Me and my partner are so tired and just wants to know if this is a phase or something else.

MidnightStars Sat 24-Sep-16 10:29:35

Anyone? sad

MYA2016 Sat 24-Sep-16 10:47:40

Hiya, I don't have experience of colic etc but it does sound like 4 months sleep regression.
It hit my ds at 13 weeks. I used to brag before then what a good sleeper he was! Then one night he woke and it just got worse and worse every night.
For us it lasted till he was 7 months old.
My only advice is everything is a phase! So do whatever it takes to sleep because you won't be creating bad habits
We spent those months of hell feeding him to get him back to sleep, bed sharing a lot etc. On the nights we would try and settle him without it nobody would get any sleep and it was awful.
We were so concerned that if we coslept or fed him 4 times a night he'd expect it forever but they really don't.
Noticed a slight improvement about 6 months with wakings going down to 3-4 hours instead of 1-2. Then by 7ish months he was sleeping through 11-12 hours a night and still is now at 8.5 months
Do whatever it takes to get sleep and don't worry about bad habits.
It will pass :-)

FATEdestiny Sat 24-Sep-16 13:16:01

I would recommend givibg baby a dummy

user1474026214 Sat 24-Sep-16 21:23:56

MYA I loved reading your post. We are suffering badly with this hellish regression and you have offered me hope that this will not go on until she is three or until we cave and so some sort of sleep training. Thank you x

MYA2016 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:34:26

User - i am glad I've given you hope. Trust me - when I was in it I was an absolute wreck. I cried a lot due to utter exhaustion. Ds would not take a dummy, didn't seem to do anything other babies would. I had many posts a couple of months back about what a shit sleeper he was. I was diagnosed with pnd by my hv because I was so exhausted and upset all the time. I never thought within a few months we'd be where we are now so please hang in there and have hope. It will pass xx
I spent so long ago stressing that we were creating bad habits but babies have such a short term memory at this stage that I wish I'd not been so worried over it.

MYA2016 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:37:10

Ps. We never sleep trained. We used a white noise app (on constantly in the nursery all night).
We always offered cuddles and milk when he wanted them overnight . We made him feel we were there if he needed us and he now feels confident enough to sleep alone. We actually miss him snuggling up with us during the night!

MYA2016 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:48:46

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sleep/2632724-totally-fed-up-of-4-month-sleep-regression-thoughts-on-cio-and-moving-to-own-room-please?dod=1

This was what I posted 5 months ago when I was in the same boat. I remember writing it like it was yesterday. I also regret wasting that time so upset sad

MidnightStars Sun 25-Sep-16 00:30:32

MYA thank you for your post! Has given me some hope too. I know once we are out the other side I'll wish I didn't wished the time away. Hard not to when your sleep deprived.
I also feel sad and exhausted all the time! My OH words "your no fun anymore" hard to be on little sleep sad he's gets a lot more than me!
DS actually rolled over for the first time today! So could be something to do with a development milestone. Hoping so anyway!
He falls asleep like a dream on me, soon as I put him down he wakes. Fingers crossed tonight is different!!!

nerdymum Mon 26-Sep-16 14:53:47

MYA Just read your original thread and I see so many common ground with the OP and my DD. She's 17 +1 weeks and has never been great for naps (except for the first morning one) but nights were ok - Bed by 7 30/8, asleep before 9, feeds at 2 and 6, falls asleep while feeding. If unsettled, a dummy would usually do the trick. Exclusively BF and in a Snuzpod (although the ends up in our bed half way through the night).

Now she's a grizzly, clingy mess that spits the dummy out and screams her head off and wakes every 90 mins or so. She actually feeds well every time she wakes up so I wonder if there is a growth spur happening as well.

Today she is sleeping during the day because she is in our bed with me. Earlier she woke up from a nap because I was eating an apple in bed!confused

Just wanted to say that you're not alone and I'm sure things will get better.

I don't want to try any CC. Not my style and I also think she's too little.

nerdymum Mon 26-Sep-16 14:54:53

So much common ground even!

Apologies, my brain is pretty mushy today!

user1474026214 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:52:48

MYA
I have just seen your recent post. Thank you for taking the time to be so reassuring. I have to admit, I am a little shocked at the unempathetic comments you received in response to your thread. I dislike comments like 'this is parenting, what did you expect?'. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture for goodness sake! Anyway, I'll raise an imaginary wine to you (look forward to lots of winewine when this is all over!)

MidnightStars Mon 26-Sep-16 17:43:06

So nice to know I'm not the only one. Gives me reassurance smile I agree User, there were some really horrible and unhelpful comments. Not what you need when your going through a hard time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now