FTM 2wk old baby will not settle at night, feel like I'm failing

(3 Posts)
Cordypants27 Thu 22-Sep-16 09:51:10

Being a FTM I don't know what I expected and I know every baby is different and that babies require care and attention frequently, I also thought (maybe foolishly) that newborn babies NEEDED sleep and were unable to go too long without.
My LO seems to be fighting sleep, constantly rooting and thrashing about and crying. After trying the usual of feeding (for the 100th time), changing, winding, cuddling, I am at a loss of what to do & it is already starting to make the relationship with my OH strained as we're snapping at each other because we're so tired and we don't know what to do.
Any tips for newborn sleeping (if there are any) as a lot of the advice already is for older babies.
Please help x

Hoviscats Thu 22-Sep-16 10:00:03

Does he/she sleep in your arms and then wake up when put down? If so a good trick I used with my first was to warm up their bed with a hot water bottle before putting them in. Obviously take it out when the baby goes in it!

Also swaddling is great for newborns. You can use a cellular blanket or you can buy swaddle wraps which are I found to stay secure more easily.

I also made sure the baby was in the swaddle while I fed so that it stays warm and smelling of you.

You have my sympathy though, ds2 is 6 weeks and sleep deprivation is torture!! Just remember it will get better!

FATEdestiny Thu 22-Sep-16 13:49:26

Duplicate thread. More responses here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sleep/2738782-FTM-2wk-old-baby-will-not-settle-at-night-feel-like-Im-failing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now