It DOES get better. it REALLY does.

(13 Posts)
tiredybear Tue 20-Sep-16 22:12:55

So, my LO is now 17.5 months. Last night he SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! I had 6 hours of sleep in one delicious chunk (before i woke at 5.30 thinking something awful must have happened to him. It hadn't he was still asleep, I went back to bed, bliss!)
he was a terrible sleeper. awake every hour or so, then awake for hours at night, often waking at goddamn awful times of day (night!) and being adamant it was morning. I thought the torture would never end. But it has.
I just wanted to reassure those of you who are earlier on in this sleep journey that it really does get better. You aren't doing anything wrong. You don't need to leave them to scream themselves sick. They will sleep when they're ready. YOU'VE GOT THIS. HANG ON IN THERE

welshgirlwannabe Tue 20-Sep-16 22:17:17

Congratulations you must feel amazing! My 6 month old is a long way away from sleeping through the night I fear, but he's getting better too and is down to two or sometimes even one feed a night.

Well done for coming out the other side. Enjoy all of the delicious sleep...

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 21-Sep-16 09:00:24

This is good to hear! A whole year of almost no sleep day or night has taken a huge toll on me.

podmax Wed 21-Sep-16 09:50:01

Oh congratulations! You must feel amazing.
I haven't had more than 4 hours stretch of uninterrupted sleep in 10 months...I'm a bit shock at the possibility of it lasting till she's 17 months though. I'm just trying to take each night at a time. I look and feel like I'm dead most of the time!

DocMcFanjo Wed 21-Sep-16 10:54:41

Congratulations!

My first slept through at 11 months and not again till 13 months, but once it was consistent it was AMAZING!

Currently have 7 week old DD asleep in my arms and trying to keep the long game in mind; sleep deprivation didn't kill me the last time, I won't let it beat me this time either!

Tatlerer Wed 21-Sep-16 11:23:18

You must feel amazing OP! Hats off to those of you who are happy to wait it out until baby/toddler is ready, but just to say that in my limited experience (own and friends) there are techniques you can use to help them sleep through from an earlier age. Just in case anyone is reading this in the depths of sleep deprivation and can see no light at the end of a very long tunnel.

SmallBee Wed 21-Sep-16 11:27:58

Congratulations 🎊 op! It's amazing how much better you feel after a solid chunk of sleep.

I'd just like to add that those with bad sleepers aren't doing anything wrong. DD didn't sleep for ages, DS is six weeks and is already sleeping better than she was at four months. We haven't done a thing differently it's just DD was a sleep thief.

Heloise1982 Wed 21-Sep-16 11:54:48

Tatler care to share??? I posted this morning about my sleep defying twins zzzzzzzz. I genuinely admire people who have the super human patience to just wait it out, but I'm not one of them. I feel like this is destroying me inch by sleep deprived inch, and it's only been 7 months. Please God it's not going to go on for another 10!!! I do accept some babies will never sleep better whatever you do, but it's just not in me to stop trying to find a solution.

This is pure torture.

Tatlerer Wed 21-Sep-16 12:17:37

Heloise I'll post on your other thread X

YerAWizardHarry Wed 21-Sep-16 12:19:40

Congratulations! DS is 3.8 and slept through for the first time this week and has been falling asleep himself and staying in his own bed, I'm so proud!

Tatlerer Wed 21-Sep-16 12:19:57

Gah Heloise I can't find it! Where is it?

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 21-Sep-16 12:55:51

Which techniques tatler

One year of almost no sleep has left me a physical and mental wreck. Will try anything !

Heloise1982 Wed 21-Sep-16 12:57:00

It's called 'night feeds - hunger or sleep association' (sorry, probably a way of linking to it, I don't know how.) Not the snappiest title, I know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now