Have I spoilt my 12 week old?

(8 Posts)
mummasays Tue 20-Sep-16 08:44:32

He's 12 weeks and is now sleeping through the night 7-7ish. Now day time napping he will only nap on someone, as soon as you put him down he will wake up! Someone told me I was spoiling him by holding him whilst he's napping?! Is this a thing? And also does anyone have any tips of how to get baby to nap on their own in the day? Thanks

youredeadtomesteven Tue 20-Sep-16 08:45:57

I wouldn't think you could even spoil a 12 week old baby. They like napping on someone because of the heartbeat and warmth, not because they want anything from you. They just want your love.

ineedwine99 Tue 20-Sep-16 08:47:44

Doesn't sound like given he goes down at night, sounds lovely so far :-)

BastardGoDarkly Tue 20-Sep-16 08:48:57

Firstly, I'm envy that your 12wk old sleeps through!

Ignore the nay sayers, if you don't mind him napping on you it's fine. If you do, what about a sling?

Spudlet Tue 20-Sep-16 08:49:03

He's 12 weeks old. You can't spoil him! He's tiny!

It is a good idea to try to get him to nap in his cot (or wherever) and I did that by very gradually introducing it (and going through some epic screaming) but honestly, he's a tiny wee person, he's brand new to this world. He's not spoiled. Give whoever said that a ding along the lug from me. grin

Try introducing sleep cues like white noise etc, that worked for me. smile

challengedvertically Tue 20-Sep-16 08:50:26

You can't spoil a baby, especially not one so young smile mine was the same until about 16 weeks when he suddenly started screaming at nap/bed time, turned out he wanted to be left alone to sleep! If you really want baby to sleep alone, you could try putting them down when drowsy but not asleep so that they learn to sleep alone, but it takes a lot of perseverance and I can't say it worked for me! Or try a swing, they're pretty good and seem to work for a lot of babies.

Spudlet Tue 20-Sep-16 08:51:51

A bouncy chair worked for us - a cheapo one. He wouldn't have anything to do with the all singing all dancing one hmm

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Wed 21-Sep-16 13:09:09

12 weeks old and sleeping through is amazing.

You can't spoil a twelve week old. They are not tiny Machiavellian geniuses plotting to ruin you. They just need cuddles and warmth and love.

Try a sling, or asleepyhead, or the buggy or a swing. But it's very normal for them just to want to be held at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now