Crying at bed time

(7 Posts)
user1474318265 Mon 19-Sep-16 22:05:23

I have a 5 month old baby, she normally goes to bed great, but laltey she will not settle unless she falls alseep being cuddled. A few people have said to put her in her cot and if she cries to leav her and she will fall asleep, iv never been a fan of this but how long would you let your baby cry for?

FATEdestiny Wed 21-Sep-16 18:43:29

At 5 months old I wouldn't let my child cry at all.

Have you tried a dummy?

Tumtitum Wed 21-Sep-16 22:49:10

I'm not a fan of crying babies but with my DD (now 7 months) she would cry whatever I did. Pat her, cuddle her, shh her, she just cried because she didn't want to go to sleep!! So I started letting her cry just for one or two mins then going back to whatever I had been doing, eg rocking her, then if she wouldn't settle after another ten mins I'd put her down and let her cry for another one or two mins then go back and do the same. Most of the time after a little cry she would then let me rock her to sleep and gradually it became so now she shouts/grumbles for 5-10 mins and then falls asleep. It's like she just wants to make it clear that she's not happy with the situation then she sleeps! We're teething at the minute so sometimes she does really cry and if she really cries of course I go in and comfort her, but touch wood it's only the odd time now. So no real advice but just though I'd share that, as I found it really difficult when she cried so much even when I was doing everything I could to help her get to sleep!! If you do end up doing proper controlled crying I think it's not recommended before 6 months. Hope it gets better for you soon, I remember being so frustrated and upset with my DDs sleep around 4/5 months!

Batteriesallgone Wed 21-Sep-16 22:52:56

Just cuddle her!

Tumtitum Thu 22-Sep-16 05:50:50

Sometimes cuddling doesn't work! sad that said, I'm currently sitting on our spare bed cuddling DD who has woken early and cries if I put her down smile

Batteriesallgone Thu 22-Sep-16 08:42:41

But Tum, OP said cuddling does work.

Tumtitum Thu 22-Sep-16 10:06:57

Sorry, didn't reread the OP before posting! If cuddling had worked for DD without her yowling in my ear then yes, I would have cuddled smile If she used to self settle then she's probably going through something developmental or teething or something. Hope it passes quickly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now