One tired family....

(4 Posts)
LONC2012 Mon 19-Sep-16 18:10:53

Hi all,
Our DS is almost 13months, he hadnt slept properly for the past 4/5 weeks and quite frankly we are all exhausted. He stayed with family last night so I could catch up on sleep and even our older DS commented that he got a full nights sleep because his brother didn't wake him up.
I took him to docs about 2 weeks ago as I suspected an ear infection as he was forever pulling his ears. He was diagnosed with one and given antibiotics that he finished a week ago.
He is still absolutely horrendous through the night. He wakes from around 10 and then it varies from each night as to how often he wakes, sometimes it's every 20 mins, every 2 hours but usually around ever hour. He wakes up crying and sits up in his cot falling back to sleep.
Sometimes his dummy will settle him, other times a gentle pat or just sitting by his cot. I have tried ibruprofen/calpol which once it kicks in usually gives us a bit longer between waking up periods but I feel like I'm forever giving him it and I want to try not to do that if I can.
He is fine during the day, as we are out and about a lot he usually sleeps in his buggy which is a bit more upright then his cot.
I just wonder if his infection hasn't quite cleared or if it's just more teeth coming through? Just strange that it's only during the night and I know personally that ear infections are worse when you are laying down.
I wondered if it was just when he was at home because he wanted me but he did exactly the same for my sister. He even did it when I slept right next to his cot.

Any suggestions on what to do or where to go are much appreciated as we are all missing much needed sleep!

FATEdestiny Mon 19-Sep-16 18:20:05

While he's poorly, can he sleep with you in your bed? He may well still wake up but at least settling him will be quicker with you right there.

idontlikealdi Mon 19-Sep-16 18:21:39

I think there's a massive sleep regression around that age. I remember going back to work when DTs turned one and their sleep went totally to shit for about 8 weeks. DH and I were broken - a couple of hours broken sleep was a good night. Then it just went back to normal decent sleep.

Ear tugging can be molars coming through. Try the medicine at bed time.

LONC2012 Mon 19-Sep-16 18:26:25

Thanks for you replies. I have had him in with me but only when DP is away with work as he is a deep sleeper and we only have a small bed.
I will try the medicine at either bedtime or at the first wake time. We are just all so exhausted. Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now