11 month old wont sleep all night in her cot

(9 Posts)
user1474259255 Mon 19-Sep-16 05:37:28

Hi, my daughter is 1 in 2 weeks and we cant get her to sleep all night in her cot. For about 3 or 4 months she has been waking up anywhere between 3 and 4 shouting for us to go through and bring her into our bed. We have tried controlled crying in numerous occasions without any success as she will continue to shout and scream. Unfortunately my wife is left to deal with this from Monday to Friday as i start work at 3am. On 2 occasions she has slept all the way through, but we haven't done anything different the day/night before. Her bed time is very consistent between 7.30-8pm each night.

Has anyone got any advice/help??

isthistoonosy Mon 19-Sep-16 05:42:56

Is she night weaned? And is she having a big meal before bedtime? Did the waking start when she sent into.her own room?

Could.she be cold / too dark/ too quite (one of my kids needed a radio on to sleep through the night), bright lights etc - what do.you think you have ruled out?

Also is your leaving the house triggering any of the waking?

isthistoonosy Mon 19-Sep-16 05:44:11

Oh and how are her naps - does she settle easily for them, how long are they and how many?

BeingATwatItsABingThing Mon 19-Sep-16 05:50:06

Babies go through sleep regressions. My DD went through loads. When she wants to come in with us, the easiest thing to do is to let her. But DP and I have to be really strict with ourselves and sit with her in her room until she went back to sleep and stayed in her cot. Each time we think we have cracked the sleeping, she goes through a regression. She is mostly a good sleeper now but that hasn't always and isn't always the case.

Good luck. It sucks not getting enough sleep. brew for you!

user1474259255 Mon 19-Sep-16 05:50:52

Hi, yes she doesn't have a bottle during the night and hasnt done so for a long time now. She has her dinner around 5pm and then her bottles before bed. She used to sleep all night no problem in her cot it all of a sudden started. Our house is always warm. She has always slept in the dark and we actually thought it was too light for her when the summer began so we can rule that out straight away. The noise may be an issue as where we stay is quiet at night.

I am as quiet as possible when leaving the house but its extremely rare i wake her as i leave its usually a good hour- hour and a half she starts. We have pretty much tried everything and my wife is at her wits end with it.

user1474259255 Mon 19-Sep-16 05:53:11

She has went down to one nap a day which is between 1hr to 90mins but it doesnt make a difference even if she naps later in the day.

She has never been a good sleeper and the first 2 weeks she barely slept.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Mon 19-Sep-16 06:00:01

It will get better! I thought my life was over because for the first 4 months, I had a Velcro baby. Then she started sleeping well and we moved her to her own room at 6 months. It started all over again.

isthistoonosy Mon 19-Sep-16 06:04:25

My bad sleeper kid around that age we switched back to a 20min nap around 4hrs after waking and 40min about 4 hrs later which helped with night times. Also a good filling super 30min before bed. And the radio on quietly helped her.
She maybe cutting teeth so could be worth a check.

Tbh though she just isn't a good sleeper and there are still the odd weeks where we just have to accept it and get up at 430 and go to sleep earlier.

Beebeeeight Mon 19-Sep-16 06:12:38

Watching for tips!

The lack of sleep is a killer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now