19 month old undoing grobag, what's next?

(17 Posts)
QuackDuckQuack Sun 18-Sep-16 21:22:01

DD2 has an uncanny knack of opening her grobag and then taking it off. She then wails until it is put back on. Luckily this is only in the evening. She's in a normal size cot and needs to stay in that.

Can I get her a duvet? If so, what size/tog? Am I missing a good alternative?

What sort is it? You get grobags with just a zip that goes from top to bottom that helps stop them undoing it

WhatWouldMaLarkinDo Sun 18-Sep-16 21:29:24

I bought DS a toddler bed duvet when he started doing this and he took to it quite well. It stayed on with the sides of the cot to hold it in place while he got used to it. He had a thin (4.5 tog I think) one to start with but I've just bought him a 9.5 tog one for winter. You can get them pretty cheaply on Amazon, the one we've got is 120x150cm. DS is in a toddler bed now and it fits on there too.

Yes try the travel ones - no shoulder poppers just a zip.

Otherwise. Get a single duvet and turn it sideways and put half of it under the mattress so there is duvet all the way along the cot. You can tuck the second side in to if you want to keep her cost but she might find it too restrictive.

QuackDuckQuack Sun 18-Sep-16 21:32:38

It's the type with two zips, so we could but more grobags, but they aren't cheap. I'll have a look at toddler duvets. I suspect she would wriggle out from under one, but worth a go.

StarsandSparkles Sun 18-Sep-16 21:34:12

My ds could undo sleeping bags with a side zip and studded shoulder straps in seconds. Since i got him a sleeping bag out of tkmaxx that zips up the middle he hasnt escaped once (yet lol)

Bear2014 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:35:20

Could you put the gro bag on backwards? We stopped using them around 20 months and if chilly put fleece pyjamas on as any cover would come off at some point in the night.

That's why you need a proper single duvet. It's big enough so there's enough coverage even if they wiggle about

TheLegendOfBeans Sun 18-Sep-16 21:37:25

QuackDuck get thee to TKMaxx immediately. They have heaps of discounted GroBags, in a variety of togs.

Most are £14.99, regardless of tog x

FATEdestiny Sun 18-Sep-16 21:43:26

Grobags with popper shoulders are only useful in 0-6 are. We move to centre zip (put on like a cardigan) for 6-18m and 18-36m sides.

I'd add that it's worth paying attention to the zip direction too. The ones that zip from top to bottom last longer. A toddler will learn to unzip a zip from the top downwards easier than unzipping bottom upwards.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 18-Sep-16 21:46:03

We gave a duvet to dc1 at 11 months and dc2 at 13 months.

RandomMess Sun 18-Sep-16 21:48:28

I just put them on backwards at that point, then later on added a nappy pin through the zipper pull hole grin

Do not let toddler intelligence beat you so quickly!

Remember keeping the grobag on keeps the nappy on too...

Chinks123 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:49:24

Dds was popper studs at the top and a zip at the side. At around 15 months or so she started to take it off using the poppers so i put it on backwards. A few weeks later she learnt to use the zip and wriggle out. I invested in a toddler duvet smile

Chinks123 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:50:39

Randommess wish I'd thought of that! Yes with the loss of the grobag comes the freedom to take the nappy off confused I still remember the horror of the poo coated cot bars and wall..and DD blush

QuackDuckQuack Sun 18-Sep-16 21:55:07

Mumsnet never fails! I'll try putting it on backwards. If that doesn't work then we'll look at duvets. Thanks!

BikeRunSki Sun 18-Sep-16 21:58:21

I was going to say about putting it on backwards.

RandomMess Sun 18-Sep-16 21:58:57

I was serious about needing the nappy pin eventually too - you know the safety ones, still put it on backwards then the nappy pin (can get them in Boots) through the zipper pull - usually they can't even reach it then to try and undo the nappy pin let alone work out the safety feature!

Duvets fall off and they cry because they are cold etc. I tell you grobags for as long as you can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now