Is this normal?

(10 Posts)
andyc11 Sun 18-Sep-16 18:51:25

Hi all,

First time poster here and hoping someone can let us know if this is normal please. Our baby boy is 15 days and we think he has colic. He's been breastfed from day one, but during the evening becomes almost uncontrollable with crying. I'm a first time Dad but the crying itself sounds like he's in so much pain and we find it very difficult to console him.

We've tried and continue to persevere with all of the techniques to soothe him as much as possible, but I'm now getting worried something is wrong given the nature of his crying, which as I say sounds like he's in a lot of pain.

We can cope with the crying and soothing if we know what's happening is normal. Appreciate it's difficult to say based on a post, but wondered if anyone else with experience of colic could let us know whether the crying is as awful as this. I thought he was going to pass out earlier from crying and sometimes, he seems to almost cry himself to sleep which we hate as we feel like we're doing something wrong.

Thanks

Coconut0il Sun 18-Sep-16 21:10:16

Didn't want to read and run. My experience with DS2 was that in the early days if he wasn't feeding he was crying. The early evening was definitely the worse time for cluster feeding. I think I stayed on the sofa from about 6 till 11 feeding every night. DP would bring me snacks and drinks. There were no other issues with DS2 he just liked to feed/suck for hunger/comfort. He just grew out of it.
Has he been checked for tongue tie? No personal experience of colic but I've heard sitting in a steamy bathroom can help.

NewlySkinnyMe Sun 18-Sep-16 21:13:42

Colic is actually just unexplained crying. It normally happens ar the same time everyday.

If it was wind related, at 12 weeks tou could try gripe water (this worked for us). Within 5 minites of having that they stopped whereas previous noghts we were walking the hallways.

If he cries himself to sleep that is fine. You afe not doing anything wrong. Just cuddles.

YokoUhOh Sun 18-Sep-16 21:14:25

Babies feed more in the evening/at night to boost supply. For some unknown reason, they also get fussy around this time and scream the house down. The good news is, this tends to stop by 3 months old. Congrats on your new baby! flowers

NewlySkinnyMe Sun 18-Sep-16 21:15:08

It will have nothing to do with being breastfed or bottle fed or anything either. You can get breastfed babies who cry a lot. Is it the same time every day? Or after a feed?

EsmesBees Sun 18-Sep-16 21:15:29

I was going to say the same thing coconut! Mine cluster fed from about 7-12 and screamed like a banshee if removed from the boob. But then would fall asleep for about 5 hrs. The evenings were exhausting in those early days but it passed quickly (by about 6 weeks I think).

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Sun 18-Sep-16 21:24:27

It could be totally normal or it could be he is uncomfortable. Talk to your health visitor with any worries you have - it's a good idea to take a video on your phone.

Is the crying in the evenings? Mine cluster fed like a demon in those early days- used to spend from 5-11 pm on the boob. If he wants to do that, park your wife on the sofa and bring her snacks and drinks through the evening!
Do you think it could be wind? There's a technique where you can gently bicycle their legs to get wind out - it works a treat. Google 'baby colic masssge' or 'baby bicycle legs' on you tube - loads of videos on how to do it.
Is it worst twenty mins or so after a feed? If so it's possible it's reflux - keep them upright for a while after a feed.

It could all just be normal though, in those early days ds screamed like a banshee, for hours and hours, produced green poops , the lot. I had loads of advice that he was intolerant to this that and the other but in reality he wasn't - it was just a phase.
Talk to your hv to rule out anything obvious, and be kind to each other - it's hard work! Make sure both of you are getting a solid few hours rest a day.

29redshoes Sun 18-Sep-16 21:25:49

That sounds stressful, I hope you and your OH are coping ok. The first few weeks with a baby are a bit crazy, but it will get easier.

I'd agree with a previous poster that at this young age you'd expect the baby to either be sleeping or feeding, and it's very common for the baby to be cluster feeding into the late evening. What happens if your OH tries to feed him when he cries like this? Will he take the breast or is he not interested?

Agree with previous poster it's worth getting him checked for tongue tie.

If it's not hunger, he could just be very tired. My DD screams the place down when she's overtired. Swaddling and white noise calms her down, you could try this.

"Colic" doesn't really mean anything. It's just a catch all term for a baby crying a lot. Unfortunately working out why isn't always that easy. Definitely worth taking the baby to the HV for advice in case they have any suggestions, and can help you to rule out any medical issues.

29redshoes Sun 18-Sep-16 21:36:23

And I'd agree with another PP about intolerances. People are very quick to suggest this but they are pretty rare, particularly in breastfed babies. You'd also expect to see more signs than just crying (e.g. strange nappies). So I'd try and rule out other things first.

Cocolocos Mon 19-Sep-16 06:34:26

Our DD was the same and it was awful! I think she was overtired, overstimulated, and hungry but wouldn't sleep and was too riled up to feed. It was so stressful. Nothing really helped other than time (and chocolate). It will get better eventually I promise. Google "purple crying" - this really reassured me. cakebrew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now