Bunk beds for 20 month old and 4 year old?

(12 Posts)
Falcon1 Sat 17-Sep-16 11:50:37

I want to put my two DDs in the same room together and am considering bunk beds. I'm wondering whether they're too young. The oldest is still in pull ups so don't know how training her out of them would work if she's in a top bunk. And the youngest is currently in a cot (which she's now too big for, hence needing another solution). I was thinking she could go on the bottom bunk with a bed guard - has anyone tried this at around 20 months?

What do people think? Is this a crazy idea?

milkjetmum Sat 17-Sep-16 11:53:50

I put my two into a double bed together at that age to get used to sharing a room and have just bought bunk beds now (nearly 6 and 2.5).

For me a big part was the risk of little one climbing /falling but I think she is old enough now to follow rules (mostly!)

InTheDessert Sat 17-Sep-16 11:57:34

By 18 months, DS2 was in a bed as he had climbed out of the cot!!!

4 yrs for a bunk ois quite young. I think most suggest 6+ for bunks, but it sounds like you might not have a great deal of choice.

When DS1 moved into a mid sleeper, we had a staircase rather than ladder style steps. That might help.

The only thing with top bunks is changing them. I don't fancy doing that at 3am, but if you are happy to leave your oldest in pull ups til she's dry naturally (no training needed for night dryness, it's hormonal) rather than keep trying in pants to see if she can do it, there shouldn't be many wet sheets.

SueGeneris Sat 17-Sep-16 11:58:17

My 20 month old is in a bed but I would not do bunk beds because he would climb up and I think it would be too risky.

TheNumberfaker Sat 17-Sep-16 14:28:07

Too young for bunks. Get a small double and they can share of space is tight.

flipflopson5thavenue Sat 17-Sep-16 21:03:33

My two DS share a room, 4yo in a bed and 22mo in a cot. When 22mo goes into a bed its be pretty crammed in there so I was wondering about bunk beds (which we'll do eventually) and my main reason for not doing it is that the 22mo will want to do everything his brother does including climbing up. So will just have to squeeze in for a few years.

What about a trundle bed?

SharonfromEON Sat 17-Sep-16 21:08:48

I wouldn't...Is there not room for 2 beds?

My Ds's room is small and he is in a ikea extendable bed..He is a tall 9 year old and just about needs extending to the largest size.. Toddler beds are also lower which is useful in early days.

FATEdestiny Sat 17-Sep-16 21:20:15

Top bunks have an aged 6+ safety warning.

Themoleandcrew Sat 17-Sep-16 21:23:00

We have bunks for my 4 and 2 year olds. It's a mid sleeper height on top and the bottom bunk is right on the floor. It has a staircase and a slide. They love it. The sides at the top are quite deep.

AppleMagic Sat 17-Sep-16 21:26:08

We have a Kura bed from IKEA. It's lower than a regular bunk bed so we were happy to use it with our sensible 4 year old. Our 2 year old has a mattress on the floor underneath.

AppleYumYum Sat 17-Sep-16 21:30:25

If you have room then how about bunk beds that can be split into two singles until they're a bit older? Then it's still only one purchase, that's what I'm currently looking into for my 4 and 2 year olds.

Falcon1 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:43:27

Brilliant, thanks for all you replies. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now