Help, my LO won't sleep longer than 2 hours at night!

(2 Posts)
Mahvish84 Sun 04-Sep-16 17:03:07

My 10 week old is bad sleeper, or so I think. AT night, I bathe her, give her a bottle (between 4-5oz), and rock her to sleep. Once asleep, I put her in her cot at around 9.30. Like clockwork, she wakes up in two hours. I then change her, and give her another bottle (between 4-5oz), after which she'll sleep for another hour (if I'm lucky), or 45 mins and is up again. I've tried rocking her to sleep and putting her down, but she'll wake up in 10 or 15 minutes. I then bf her in the hope that she'll feed to sleep, but she wakes up as soon as she's put down. This happens till 6 or 7 at which point I give up on sleeping and give her a bottle.

During the day she only sleeps for short stints of 20-30 mins in the cot, and will sleep for up to 1.5 hours if held, and up to 3 hours in the sling.

I'm at my wits end now, as everywhere says that babies her age can/should sleep for up to 5 hours at a stretch, but this doesn't apply to my baby.

Any advice would be gratefully received by this exhausted mum!

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 04-Sep-16 17:20:26

She sleeps fine and normally for her age! Ignore anything which tells you how long she 'should' be sleeping. Your main 'problem' is you trying to put her in a cot. Many babies are not designed to do this. Like all mammals, babies are programmed to sleep with their mothers for safety and free access to breastfeeds.

One thing I would suggest is to jack in any night nappy changes unless she's pooed. That will only rouse her more. Feeds only at night, and keep her close both to enable her to sleep full cycles and to reduce how much you have to get up in the night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now