Is my 15 week old's sleep ok?

(8 Posts)
brucebogtrotter Thu 01-Sep-16 18:46:55

First time mum, so sorry if this is obvious to other people, but I'm not sure.

My son is 15 weeks and has a bath at 6pm, story and milk afterwards and then seems exhausted, so he goes to bed at 6:30pm and pretty much immediately settles to sleep. He then wakes at 1/2am for a feed, goes back to sleep until 5/6am for another feed. I let him nap during the day whenever and for as long as he likes.

My question is, should I be trying to get him in more of a routine? Imposing set nap times/lengths? Should I be keeping him awake in the evening longer so he'll sleep through? (He's hideous when over-tired though.)

All thoughts appreciated.

confusedandemployed Thu 01-Sep-16 18:48:48

Sounds amazing. Is he napping in any pattern? By then DD had established a good 1.5 hrs in the morning and the same in the afternoon.

Rozdeek Thu 01-Sep-16 18:49:00

should I be trying to get him in more of a routine? no, not if you don't want to.

Imposing set nap times/lengths? see above

Should I be keeping him awake in the evening longer so he'll sleep through? (He's hideous when over-tired though.) good god no, overtired babies are more likely to wake at night, not less.

He's only 15 weeks. He sounds like he's sleeping brilliantly. My 6 month old has only just gone down to one feed a night.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Thu 01-Sep-16 18:51:15

That is brilliant sleep for a 15 week old. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.

WilLiAmHerschel Thu 01-Sep-16 18:52:44

Thank your lucky stars and hope it lasts is what I say.

brucebogtrotter Thu 01-Sep-16 18:55:55

Oh thank goodness that's ok. I know it's stupid to compare but other mums seem to have set times for naps and later bedtime so I thought I was doing something wrong.

He will generally nap between each feed in the day, but the length is completely unpredictable - sometimes 45 mins, sometimes 2 hours.

Thanks for your comments - I'll just carry on as I am then x

Rozdeek Thu 01-Sep-16 19:24:09

My 6 month old goes to bed any time between 6 and 7, that's actually the most ideal time for a young baby smile

Heirhelp Mon 05-Sep-16 20:51:57

I have brought my 17 weeks DD bedtime forward to about 5.45, sometimes earlier as she just needs to go to bed then. She wakes of a couple of times a night for milk. I just think if that is when she needs to sleep then so be it.

I always try and think about how I would feel if I was my DD. I know if I was tired and somebody tried to keep me awake I would not be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now