Controlled crying for very early mornings?

(4 Posts)
Heloise1982 Sun 28-Aug-16 11:29:51

My 6.5 month old was waking multiple times in the night, sometimes for a feed, often just for a dummy. We ditched the dummy for the first half of the night and used what I suppose was a type of controlled crying, in a form I was comfortable with (I sat with my hand on him until he settled without the dummy; we had a couple of hour-long crying sessions but within a week he was MUCH better and usually sleeping straight through til his feed at about 3 am.) (Hurrah!) However, he is still quite unsettled from about 4 am, and I've been settling him with some combination of feeding (tho don't think he's hungry), dummy, and taking him into our bed, and he usually then sleep through rather fitfully til 6ish. I'm wondering whether to try the same sort of controlled crying on him in the morning. He's definitely still tired, not just ready to start his day that early, but I worry that when it's that close to morning he would just fuss his way to 6 am without going back to sleep at all, which would lead to a pretty crap start to the day and a very overtired baby!

Has anyone got any experience of doing controlled crying (or versions of) for this type of early morning wake up? Did it work?

Tumtitum Sun 28-Aug-16 12:44:04

A friend of mine did it as her little boy kept waking at 5am. I think it worked and he never cried for more than about 20 mins I think

Tumtitum Sun 28-Aug-16 12:47:00

A friend of mine did it as her little boy kept waking at 5am. I think it worked and he never cried for more than about 20 mins I think

somefarawaydream Sun 28-Aug-16 13:55:28

I would either ditch the dummy completely or let him keep it. As at the moment he is getting mixed messages and he won't understand that he isn't to have it in the first half of the night but is in the second half.

As for early waking, not sure what to suggest but I'm in the same boat! DS (5 months) woke at. 5:50 this morning chirping away not crying and quite happy. I left him and after half an hour he went to sleep until 7:30. It's always a gamble though! I always think what if he doesn't go back to sleep and I just waste all his awake time not feeding him and ignoring him confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now