Baby scratching at night

(5 Posts)
MartiLou Sun 21-Aug-16 11:39:19

My 3 month old is doing something really odd and worrying at night. After the first long stretch of sleep (about 4 hours), she starts scratching her head frantically. If I hold her arms she sometimes stops. But as soon as I let her go she starts scratching again. She does it in her sleep, but often wakes up as a result. I don't think it's actually itchy, she only does it at night. Seems emotional/self soothing to me. Has anyone been through a similar thing??

jessplussomeonenew Sun 21-Aug-16 11:51:20

Itching can get worse at night because cortisol levels are low - plus fewer distractions so it's more noticeable. Would suits with fold-over cuffs (built in scratch mitts) help?

LuckySantangelo1 Sun 21-Aug-16 11:56:16

I kept my little boy in sleepsuits with build in mittens until he was about 6 months old to stop the scratching! I think it's quite common.

MartiLou Sun 21-Aug-16 12:08:34

Sorry, I didn't mention, she was in sleepsuits with built-in mittens but because of all the rubbing she gave herself eczema all over her face... now she's without mittens and I keep her nails super short, so there is no eczema or actual scratches... but it looks so violent when she does it! I stopped using the cradle cap shampoo too cause I thought it may be causing the scratching, but no difference. It's just my gut feeling that it's not really itchy, but I can't now for sure sad

fluffikins Sun 21-Aug-16 13:10:08

Try aveeno in her bath. Boots do baby aveeno and it will soothe the scalp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now