How to make 10 month old wake up later

(14 Posts)
Bodypumpaddict Sat 13-Aug-16 18:21:11

Hi

Am after any suggestions that anyone has that might help me with the following situation.

My 10 month old currently goes to bed at 6/6.30pm and is pretty good at sleeping right through. The only thing is that she wakes at 5am and I would love it if she would sleep until around 6 (seems so much more manageable!). Recently we've had a few 4.30am starts too which have made me really think I need to do something about this if possible.

When she wakes at this time she is smiley and happy and ready to start the day. Until recently I breastfed her when she woke, in the last week she hasn't been interested in milk. I give her a big breakfast and approx 2 hours later she goes back to bed for a 2 hour nap. She is recently crawling and walks assisted, she also has talipes so wears boots and bars at night. I have a hunch that when she wakes she gets frustrated that she has these on, so this stops her going back off to sleep- especially at the moment when she's so active in the day.

I have tried putting her down later but it makes no difference- still our little 5am alarm.

We have a black out blind in her room. Her naps during the day are approx 2 hours from 6.30-8.30am then approx 1.5 hours from 1.30-3pm.

Any suggestions for ways to encourage her to sleep later?

Thanks for reading

AnotherDayInParadiseLost Sat 13-Aug-16 18:23:59

Wait until he hits puberty?
I'm still waiting, personally, and DC is 13 ....

Nottalotta Sat 13-Aug-16 19:27:17

Ds aged 1 has woken at those times for several months. I bf in bed and he will feed/suckle on and off for 30-60 minutes so I get to doze.

I am not any sort of expert, really not. I can only compare to my own experience which is bedtime 7-7.30 (it's supposed to be 7 but we are doing gradual retreat so is currently taking a bit longer) up at 6 (as in out of bed) nap 9 or 9.30 for 40-75 minutes. Nap 2/3 ish for 30-60 minutes.

He's never been a great napper, I can count on one hand the times he's napped for over 90 minutes.

Maybe see if you can push everything back? So try the first nap 15 minutes later, and everything else knocks on. Do this for a few days then 15 minutes again, and hope wake up moves accordingly!

Bodypumpaddict Sat 13-Aug-16 19:30:42

Yes that's a good one idea to push everything back. I'll try that. Thank you for your help smile

SnowWhite26 Sat 13-Aug-16 21:47:54

My lo goes to bed at the same time and would wake up at 530.We ignored her and after a bit of chatting she went bk to sleep. ( obviously not if she was upset then we didnt ignore her haha) She now tends to wake between 6 and 7 but we leave her chatting and as long as shes happy i lay and doze.She is also 10 months. I think if you try not to go in there until they are upset maybe she might doze or play etc? Do you think this would work? x

FATEdestiny Sat 13-Aug-16 22:47:02

At 10 months old
- 3-4 hours of daytime naps (over 2 naps) and
- 10-11 hours of night time unbroken sleep
Is really not unusual. In fact it is quite 'normal'

With a 6.30pm bedtime, it really is not surprising that baby is waking from between 4.30-5.30. It indicates 10-11 hours of sleep, which is about right. You need to decide long-term what is more important to you - having a longer child-free evening or not having to get up mega early?

When I had my first 2 children, my evenings were important. They went to bed at 6-6.30 (like yours) and we just accepted the early mornings. With DC3 and DC4, we already have older children around in the early evening, so there is no benefit for me and DH getting youngest to bed super early. So DC4 (23 months now) has been going to bed 7.30-8.00pm from when she first had a bedtime. It means she's normally awake sometime around 6.30-7am.

If you want to get wake-up later, this is not a case of just putting her to bed later and hoping that will work. It will take gradual changes over-time and it will take time to become established. You may have to deal with some over-tiredness in the transition, but if you are consistent, you can shift things (to a degree - some people will always be Early Birds or Night Owls).

An important factor is that morning nap. An early morning nap actively encourages an early wake up. I believe your morning nap will be having more of an impact on early wake-ups than the bedtime (although I would still move that bedtime a bit)

I would work towards getting that morning nap to be more like 9.00am-11am and then 2pm-4pm afternoon nap. Then aiming for a 7-7.30pm bedtime. That is all easier said than done! It is not a case of just keeping baby awake until 9am when she's wanting a nap at 6.30am. Make some gradual changes.

Decide initially that you'll keep her going until 7am at least. If she cant always manage this don't worry, but aim for it as much as possible. Do the same at bedtime. Aim for a bedtime not before 6.30pm initially. Don't worry if it's not always the case, but keep her going when possible.

Once this is established, move the morning nap by an additional 15 minutes - not before 7.15am. Then another 15 minutes, and another, and so on. Slow, gradual changes to move that morning nap significantly later (you have a 2 and a half hour move for that morning nap - which is a lot).

In the time you are doing this, you may well have an over-tired baby because initially morning wake-up time may still be early. Moving an entire routine isn't a simple, easy thing to do. But it will be worth it in the end. And - importantly - it is entirely possible.

Bodypumpaddict Sun 14-Aug-16 07:18:05

This is fantastic - thank you both very much for replying and for your ideas.

She struggles to play/ doze after her initial happy wake up due to her boots and bars- they limit her moving/ crawling around so she gets frustrated.

This morning I am going to keep her going for 15 mins and delay her first nap. Ideally I'd like her morning nap to start at 8am... What time does that roughly put her bedtime and wake up to?

Really appreciate your help on this. Thank you again

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 14-Aug-16 07:22:52

Cut out a nap? Put her to bed earlier? Weirdly, that sometimes works with DS nearly 5.

Poocatcherchampion Sun 14-Aug-16 07:30:12

I think it is normal too and also normal for them to chunter round their cot getting more annoyed - I would say it is unlikely to be her talipes aids getting specifically annoying.

I try to treat anytime before 7 as a night waking - so cuddle/feed/poo change and leave him to it.

He doesn't go back to sleep but I don't have to wake up properly. I will move that time to more like 8 soon like his older sisters have.

So I am currently sitting in his room mining while hr plays, his sisters are playing in thier room

I am talking to noone, just wishing there was a teapot in here

Morning nap is about 0915 here.

Nottalotta Sun 14-Aug-16 09:09:54

A lot of people follow 2/3/4 though it's never worked for me, we used to be 4/3/2 and noe more like 3/4/3. But if she normally naps 2 hrs after waking then an 8 am nap could in theory..... mean a 6 am wake up?
Wake 6
Nap 8-10
Nap 1-2.30
Bed 6.30 - 7?

Id love ds to actually wake at 6, rather than 5 or before and get up at 6. I couldn't manage much later on work days.

Bodypumpaddict Sun 14-Aug-16 11:41:29

Brilliant... Feeling like we can get this changed! Thank you all smile really appreciate your replies

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 14-Aug-16 11:45:02

Why do you want her nap at 8 am?

At 10 months we were down to 1hr at 9 and 2 hours at 1.

Nottalotta Sun 14-Aug-16 15:15:08

bodypump sleep problems can feel insurmountable when they are yours, and I'm not saying everything is easy regarding babies and sleep, but I have been really really pleasantly surprised with ds anfld how he's getting on with gradual retreat. He's never fallen asleep of his own accord since he was born. The last 5 nights he has, in his cot, with barely a tear shed. I was dreading it and put it off for ages! Good luck, hope it goes well.

Bodypumpaddict Sun 14-Aug-16 17:33:52

Thank you for this support. Can't work out how to tag people in my comments confused but I really couldn't think of a plan of how to start to sort this and am feeling like we will crack it now. Loads of great tips and positivity- just what I was hoping for. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now