Moving toddler to own room....it's going to be painful isn't it!? Hand holding needed...

(9 Posts)
Youcantscaremeihavechildren Mon 08-Aug-16 13:08:25

DS is 16 months and has been in a cot attached to our bed from the start. Started because it was easier and got us more sleep and continued as we only had two bedrooms and tried moving him in with his older sister but just had an awful time getting him to sleep and waking her up.
So we have moved and whilst he sleeps fairly well for the first few hours of the night he wakes constantly using me as an all night milk bar from 2am onwards and I'm exhausted.
I'm dreading it as I can see it backfiring and me being up just as much, just not able to bring him into bed with me as I do now! DH is off work in two weeks so will be able to help and I'm on summer holidays so now seems the best time to try.
I'm starting today by moving the cot a foot away or so from the bed and putting the side on..gradually we will move the cot away from the bed and then into his room, once I've painted it! He's going to do lots of screaming as he hates the baby prison...I'm just hoping the less easy access to boob might help.
If anyone has attempted similar at this age I'd love to know how you got on!

TeaRexit Mon 08-Aug-16 13:14:23

Could you start by offering pre expressed milk in a bottle, given to DS by yourself or DH? So DS wobt want BF so often through the night, to give you a break.

My DD is still in my bed with me shock & is a lot older, but BF is finished.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Mon 08-Aug-16 16:09:43

He will take a bottle and I was considering not feeding him to sleep to start the night, but I think instead I'll try just feeding till sleepy, we've managed to then lay him down and pat him to sleep most nights. I think the main thing will be to get him out of our bed, then I'll try getting him to sleep in other ways!

Nan0second Mon 08-Aug-16 16:13:48

Google jay Gordon night weaning. It might be helpful to start with that and then the move to own room will be easier?
Good luck!

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Mon 08-Aug-16 16:48:17

Hi, yes we tried that, was horrific...I don't even mind feeding him at night once or twice, it's the constant snacking for hours that drives me mad. Saying that, I think I've just caught sight of a tooth poking through so maybe it's been worse the last few days due to that! Even so, we just need our bed back, I'm really struggling with a bad back and it isn't helped as he rarely actually sleeps in the cot bit but mostly in my side of the bed..

Rinceoir Mon 08-Aug-16 16:50:16

We moved my DD at 20months. It was fine, much easier than I expected it to be. In fact she seldom woke after moving, started singing to her soft toys if she did.

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Wed 10-Aug-16 22:33:59

Well for anyone who may read this (is there anybody there....?) We are on night 3 of cot with side on. It's been pretty bad, ice been awake more than asleep, but at the start of the night he's gone to sleep with a quick feed, rocking and a bit of singing and a back rub. This is astounding because he's never really done this before. Problem is my back is so bad I'm really struggling to get out of bed to get him when he wakes, but we've moved a more comfy chair into the bedroom and we're going to keep going with laying him back in the cot after a feed and eventually in a week or so moving him to his own room. I saw a tooth earlier so hes gone to bed with calpol and I'm going to bed after a bath and some merlot in the hope of a better night..

tiredybear Mon 15-Aug-16 21:33:40

How's it going OP?
I have a lively 16mo DS who has always been in a cot right next to my bed. I wanted to co sleep, and we only have 1 bedroom! But, we're moving on Wednesday so he will finally have his own room. He has never slept through and wakes anywhere from 1 - 5 times a night. Tell me there is hope and that his own room is working out well for you!

Youcantscaremeihavechildren Fri 19-Aug-16 09:19:07

Hi there, we had the same issue which is why we kept him in with us, its taken us a while to get his bedroom sorted, we've been decorating all week with the plan of getting him in there on Saturday...so far we've had a molar pushing through which is making him miserable so I've been up about a million times in the night, giving up around 3 and just putting him in bed with us. however he is still in the cot with the side on for a good portion of the night. Last couple of nights I've managed to soothe him off to sleep by just rocking a little and patting his back, which helps a bit with the night waking. He woke about 4 times but I just rocked and cuddled and he went back to sleep, only had boob once and then didn't want it straightaway on waking (at 5! ) sad but spent longer in his cot than before which is great.
Big move is on Saturday, I'm going to get him in there playing as much as possible beforehand and dh is on board with spending alternate nights settling him without milk if possible. We will put a single mattress on the floor so we can sleep in there if we have to, so it can be very gradual. We've got two weeks to crack it until I'm back at work and one night when my mum is staying over to babysit so I'm hopeful it might go ok! Good luck, let me know how you get on, I'll be checking in on this thread just so I can see the progress I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now