7 months and still nightfeed 3x plus evenings

(21 Posts)
alicebiscuits Sun 07-Aug-16 23:54:29

...i8pm to sleep, 9.30 if wakes, 10.30, 12/1 usually, 4am

Normal? Not normal - we're talking abiut a breastfed, co sleeping, long-limbed, cot - hating baby...who is.gradually baby led weaning himself. Eating same amount of breast milk as ever during day....

icclemunchy Sun 07-Aug-16 23:56:45

Normal, my 18 month old still wakes 2/3 times a night. She's gradually dropping them herself (used to feed every 2 hours!!) so I'm going with her. So much easier to boob her then go back to sleep than wake myself and the whole house up trying to settle her any other way

gallicgirl Sun 07-Aug-16 23:58:38

Totally normal.
You'll get someone along in a minute who swears blind their child slept 12 hours solid from a few weeks old, but seriously, most don't.
My 17 month old is breastfed and still wakes 3 times a night probably. We end up co-sleeping at some point so it's not a big disruption.

alicebiscuits Mon 08-Aug-16 00:00:09

Good lord, the things you don't know before parenthood - agree with the ease of boob - sedation but am wondering how the heck this will go with getting back to work! Ho hum, guess only one way to find out!

alicebiscuits Mon 08-Aug-16 00:01:06

Thanks iccle& gallic

DoorKnee Mon 08-Aug-16 00:01:18

Same ish here. Breastfed baby. Feeds at 7, midnight and around 4 am. We co sleep at this point till around 7am. My first baby was formula fed from 5 weeks and slept through 7pm to 7am from around 3 months!

MammasBrandNewBag Mon 08-Aug-16 03:39:05

Anyone doing this and working? How are you coping? Have been trying to night wean for a week now and it's not going so well.

Return to work soon so would love to get down to max two/three feeds a night and not the all night guzzling he is capable of.

Fomalhaut Mon 08-Aug-16 05:39:55

Can't say of its normal or not but my ten month old feeds lots. 3-4 times in the day, three meals, two snacks, Bf before bed and 5-6 times at night.
He's underweight. Goodness knows how.
I'm depressed, exhausted and barely coping.

icclemunchy Mon 08-Aug-16 08:43:36

Have you tried offering more in the daytime formal? Very un mumsnetty hugs, babies are rough going. Your doing a great job smile

Fomalhaut Mon 08-Aug-16 08:47:49

I don't think I can physically get him to eat more. He has breakfast (which he's refused this morning) a snack about 10, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Recently we've even been doubling up on dinner, giving him more again before he goes to bed. I also put butter/oil in stuff to try to boost calories.

Purplebluebird Mon 08-Aug-16 08:53:50

Very normal!

BumWad Mon 08-Aug-16 08:55:19

Normal

14 month old (2 months prem) still feeds up to two times a night... He's a right skinny minny on the 0.4th centile so I just go with it

MYA2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:30:20

My 7mo DS has at least 2 feeds a night (12am and 4am usually) and I weaned him off breast milk and onto formula and it's made no difference grin he also eats 3 meals per day plus snacks.

So I think it's normal smile

MYA2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:32:32

Formal that sounds really tough has it always been like this?
Could you try giving him porridge or a reduced sugar rusk mixed with a bit of milk just before bed?

CobsAhoy Mon 08-Aug-16 15:58:58

Normal I reckon, 10month old DD on average feeds twice in the night (11ish and 4ish), but can be more on a bad night. I'm back at work part time and although I'm not as sharp as I was pre-baby it's actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, being a bit sleep deprived at work is loads easier than being a bit sleep deprived and looking after a baby!

Nottalotta Mon 08-Aug-16 21:09:22

Ds is 1 and a good night for us is feeding around 1 & 5, or 12 & 4. He feeds and does til getting up at 6. Sometimes earlier. He eats masses during the day but doesn't bf anymore. I work 3 days a week and am pregnant again so have been trying hard (ish....when not exhausted.....) to do bedtime feed, wake up feed, back in cot (this is crucial, he'll feed all night if Co sleeping) the morning feed (4/5am) this is a huge improvement!

Fomalhaut Mon 08-Aug-16 21:50:26

Yes he's always been like that, sad won't take any kind of bottled milky/porridgey stuff. Tonight he barely ate anything so he's woken lots. He's very skinny... I just don't know how to feed him more. I feel like such a failure. I think that's why I'm so reluctant to night wean, at least he's getting something to eat...

MYA2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:54:27

Formal please don't feel like a failure, there is nothing you can do if a baby wont ear they won't eat.
Have you taken him to the doctors? Are the hv concerned? flowers flowers flowers

Fomalhaut Tue 09-Aug-16 05:39:13

Yes we've been to the doc. Last time he'd lost weight which has triggered a referral in a couple of weeks. I worry he's too thin but I honestly cannot get any more food into him. It's frustrating- I don't feel like I'm being listened to.

ashley0710 Tue 09-Aug-16 22:43:20

Formal could you not reduce the amount of time he feeds during in the night on each feed so he will make up for it during the day? Then keep reducing then offer water eventually? He may have his days/nights mixed up? My lg was a shit with this but has seemed to work she takes more in the day now,

Fomalhaut Tue 09-Aug-16 22:57:35

I've tried... If he's not finished a feed he goes ballistic. He's a tiny dictator
He's actually asleep now. Dh is snoring. My back is agony. I'm wide awake.

AAARRRRGGGHH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now