Room Thermometer

(16 Posts)
sam3176 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:43:30

I'm a first time mum to be, is a room Thermometer essential or provide any help at all or is it just something else to waste money on?

nathanlon Sat 01-Oct-16 16:26:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Me624 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:54:04

Most video monitors I have come across including ours (a Motorola one) have a built in thermometer and tell you the temperature so I wouldn't bother with a separate one.

Pipsicola Sun 02-Oct-16 08:40:08

I have a bog standard baby monitor that doesn't have a thermometer.

We use the gro-egg. We didn't buy it before baby but when she came we didn't feel confident managing the room temperature and her clothing without knowing how warm/cold it was.

To be honest I would recommend getting a thermometer (cheap one would do fine - my HV gave me one) as a first time mummy, mainly for reassurance that you are doing the right thing with babys clothing/blankets etc at night.

JosephineMaynard Sun 02-Oct-16 08:48:27

The temperature on the baby monitor we had always read a few degrees higher than the temperature on the separate stand alone thermometer.

We have a thermometer that doubles as a bath thermometer and a room thermometer. I found the bath function more useful personally, the room thermometer function was mainly about reassurance as a pp says.

Artandco Sun 02-Oct-16 08:49:57

No. you can tell if it's too hot or cold. In summer the thermometer will be panicking if over 23 degrees and there's not much you can do about it anyway apart from dress baby suitably

soundsystem Sun 02-Oct-16 16:01:38

Maybe not essential, but reassuring. Out house is cold in Winter and DH and I are used to it, so it helped us be more objective about how many blankets to put on DD.

soundsystem Sun 02-Oct-16 16:02:33

That should say "our house". The baby didn't sleep in an outhouse!

MistressMolecules Sun 02-Oct-16 16:17:12

I got a door hanging (cardboard style one if that makes any sense hmm) off the health visitor at the session before baby arrived ( in a lot of areas you now get to meet HV before baby arrives and they discuss Safe Sleeping Practices etc - hence the room thermometer), I also have a (non-video) baby monitor that has a room thermometer built in, I think most (except the absolute basic) have a room thermometer built in . I would suggest a room thermometer is not a waste of money - a lot of things are but not that. (I'm not a first time mum so not being pfb!)

donkir Sun 02-Oct-16 16:19:51

I have a monitor that has a temperature gauge on it. It always says his room is too warm. I've turned the alarm part off as its always beeping it's hot. Honestly I can tell if his room is too hot and I generally follow the rule of thumb that they wear an extra layer compared to you.
BrotherMax do thermometers that go in a room and also in the bath. Bath thermometer is a must.

Me624 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:36:06

Bath thermometer is a must

Is it? confused I've always managed with an elbow to test the temperature!

spacefrog35 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:41:12

I found both the bath thermometer (£6 floating duck one from Amazon) & the room thermometer (£2.50 also from Amazon) reassuring. The bath one was for dh as he was unsure about judging temp & I'm glad he asked for it as 38 is a lot cooler than I thought it was! The room temp one has helped especially recently with trying to figure out what on earth to put her to bed wearing.

Artandco Sun 02-Oct-16 17:41:17

But what do you all do when you go out? Do you take a thermometer in pram? To a hotel abroad? If it's hot you will know, if it's cold you will know, an adult is a human too needed same temperatures

16 degrees is way to cold imo but recommended for baby bedrooms. Ours is never that cold

And a bath thermometer? Seriously? How do you think people managed to bath their children the last millennium? They have only been fashionable the last 5 years and now people can't manage to gauge on common sense not to scald a child

janethegirl2 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:58:59

An elbow is the only required device to check the temperature of a baby's bath, and you nearly always have one around 😀😀

donkir Sun 02-Oct-16 20:30:35

I don't have enough water in lo's bath to be able to lean over to put an elbow in.
I also have my baths so hot they turn me red so I like to have a thermometer as I don't trust my own judgement.
There's no need to be harsh to those who find it helps to have a thermometer.

poppopp Sun 02-Oct-16 20:42:56

I found it useful to have a room thermometer and a bath one when dd was first born cos it just gave me some reassurance tbh, neurotic first time mum! but it's definitely not essential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now