Daytime naps - always in the room?

(6 Posts)
MadrigalElectromotive Fri 05-Aug-16 07:21:42

DD (11weeks) sleeps downstairs in her sleepyhead during the day. I don't know if it's OK to leave her alone while I go and load the dishwasher, put a load of laundry on etc. Obviously I'd keep popping my head round the door to keep an eye on her. My question is, did you leave you babies sleeping while you got on with things, or were you in the room with them all of the time?

ComeLuckyApril Fri 05-Aug-16 07:26:41

I go in and out of the room, but the kitchen is the next room for me.

ChipsCheeseandIrnBru Fri 05-Aug-16 07:36:33

SIDS advice (I think) is to be in the room with them. Someone will be able to tell you the guidelines better.

I leave ds sleeping and check on him regularly at 4/5 minute intervals. He's absolutely fine in his Moses basket downstairs or in his cot upstairs (but tbh he's only taken one nap there in 12 weeks!) If he falls asleep in his bouncy chair I keep a closer eye on him as it's not recommended that they sleep in them. But he has taken naps in them.

So yes, please do go to the toilet! Baby should be perfectly fine in that time!

AndroidAddict Fri 05-Aug-16 07:49:51

I often found the sids advice to be quite unrealistic. Staying in the same room as the baby, especially with my 2nd when I had an active toddler to keep track of and loads of jobs to do around the house, was incredibly difficult.

I used to let ds, my eldest, sleep on the floor on the living room and I'd either kip on the settee, cook and eat my dinner or do whatever needed doing in any part of the house, upstairs or down (with the dog locked in the kitchen).

By about 12 weeks, dd, my youngest, would have to be put upstairs for her naps because ds would disturb and wake her as soon as she fell asleep.

Gillian1980 Fri 05-Aug-16 11:31:45

My DD has always been in the same room as me for naps, mainly on me or lying down for a cuddle.

If she wasn't on me I would pop to the loo but would return to the room again.

I used the time to either tidy the room we were in, read or watch tv, or have a brief nap myself etc.

With just her I found it fine and not unrealistic at all but it would be more of a struggle with other kids around too.

MadrigalElectromotive Fri 05-Aug-16 13:10:25

Thanks everyone. I won't leave her on her own unless I need to pop to the loo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now