Won't go back to sleep after 4.30

(9 Posts)
graysor Sat 30-Jul-16 06:15:27

What can I do to get dd 7.5 mo back to sleep when she wakes at 4.30 (every f- ing day)?

She is obviously still tired ( probably chronically overtired ) but won't go back to sleep despite me trying: shushing, patting, feeding, holding, rocking, coming into bed with me, being in bed with me all night.

We have black out blinds and white noise on all night.

I'm at a loss about what to do. But I can't get up at 4.30, especially when she wakes at least 3 or 4 times during the night before that.

Help!

luckiestgirl Sat 30-Jul-16 06:28:54

The only thing I can think of is try try try to get her to sleep lots in the day. The better naps mine have, the better their nights. It sounds like over tiredness is giving her disturbed sleep. Could you dedicate a day or two to trying to get her to have really long solid naps?

Either that or calpol. Could be teeth?

allegretto Sat 30-Jul-16 06:32:44

Does she sleep through the night before then? What time does she go to bed?

graysor Sat 30-Jul-16 07:20:23

Nope doesn't sleep through till then, she's usually up every 90 mins or so from 11 ish. She goes to bed between 6 and 7 depending on how naps have been. I have been doing everything I can to get her to have good naps during the day. But it's very variable. Sometimes she will go down in her cot for over an hour. Sometimes we battle to get her to sleep anywhere for 30 mins.
Could well be teeth. She's just popped the first bottom two. I keep her maxed out on calpol and nurofen but doesn't seem to make any difference sad

jelliebelly Sat 30-Jul-16 07:30:36

Quite probably teeth - it will get better eventually but in the meantime I share your pain. What is the white noise all about? As an adult that would drive me to distraction!

graysor Sat 30-Jul-16 08:02:37

So I just have to wait it out? She's soooo tired. sad

Loads of people recommend white noise to help babies sleep, and to help drown out other disturbing noise. No idea if it makes a difference, but we've been using it since she was tiny. Dh sometimes uses it now if the neighbours are being noisy!

KanyesVest Sat 30-Jul-16 08:17:48

Is she actually crying, or just mooching? Unless she's upset, I'd leave her in the cot (is she in her own room yet?) and give her the chance to settle herself. It was a very difficult lesson I learned with dd - I picked her up at every murmur and neither of us slept for about 9 months! blush. Otherwise I found the no cry sleep solution a revelation. Good luck!

graysor Sat 30-Jul-16 08:32:49

Yes she's properly crying. She's in her own room and I don't go in to every grumble by any stretch but she gets hysterical very quickly once she is crying.

I have the no cry sleep solution, will have to dig it out again. What bits did you find useful Kanye? Dd's sleep is just rubbish all round ( fighting naps, short naps, frequent night wakings, early wakes ) so I don't know where to start.

KanyesVest Sat 30-Jul-16 08:54:23

Erm, now that you ask, I'm not sure I can remember (it was 5+ years ago!) I definitely found tracking her waking useful as I could determine a pattern, and I eventually worked out that she had a food intolerence (oats) which was causing pain and discomfort in the middle of the night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now