2 year old gone from waking at 8.45am to 6am!

(10 Posts)
GlummyMummy Mon 25-Jul-16 20:27:47

My daughter was 2 a couple of months back. For 6 months or so she has routinely slept through the night, often sleeping in as late as 8.45am!

Now all of a sudden she has started waking at 6am and refusing to go back to sleep.

Anyone experienced the same thing? No idea whats causing it but it's such a long day when it starts at 6am, and she is needing her nap about 10am!

HumphreyCobblers Mon 25-Jul-16 20:32:46

Oh, I know it must be a horrible shock but that might be her new time. Or she might revert back in a day or so if you are lucky.

I hope my two year old ds will sleep until six. Mostly it is five. The other day he slept until seven, it was brilliant.

Thequilltosurvive Mon 25-Jul-16 20:38:58

Think yourself lucky. Mine consistently wakes at 5 and is bolt upright and ready for the day confused

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 26-Jul-16 10:15:47

Very normal for a toddler.
You where extremely lucky before

GlummyMummy Thu 28-Jul-16 08:03:56

I know it could be a lot worse! She's just so grumpy with the early starts. Last couple of days she's slept in a big later but not had her nap!!

LadyMumble Thu 28-Jul-16 08:36:22

I had a similar issue recently with ds (also 2), he always wakes 6-6:30am and that didn't change, but instead of gently dozing off into a peaceful slumber by 7:30pm, he was nattering away to himself and singing songs looking wide awake until 10pm. I've limited his nap to 1 hour and now his nighttime sleep seems to have gone back to normal. I thought I was going to have to drop nap entirely but shortening it seems to have helped for now.

AndroidAddict Thu 28-Jul-16 08:37:51

Could she be too hot?
Is there a noise at that time that could be waking her?
Could it be the lighter mornings?
Could you adjust her bedtime to either bring it forward or set it back a little?

Sympathies. Mine are getting better at either sleeping in a little or staying in their bedrooms on a morning, reading or playing quietly. Some weekend mornings now we get past 9am when it used to be more like 6am some mornings (and they would then want to sleep in on a Monday).

GlummyMummy Sat 30-Jul-16 20:42:39

we use a blackout blind so I dont think it's the light. Keep thinking we ought to ditch it but not sure!

It seems to be that on the days she has no nap she will sleep in till later but if she has a nap it's an early start. Not sure what is better to be honest as she is grumpy if she has no nap. One thing she has never done is wake up and play happily in her cot, when she is up from nap or night sleep she is crying for us to come through....perhaps cause of blackout blind?

dancemom Sat 30-Jul-16 20:51:36

If she's tired on waking then try wake to sleep?

GlummyMummy Sun 31-Jul-16 13:18:51

what's wake to sleep, Dancemom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now