How to 'put baby down' for sleep?

(9 Posts)
YellowSquirrel Sun 24-Jul-16 21:35:35

I keep reading 'put baby down in cot before they are over tired'. For naps and sleep. How???
I see a yawn (baby 10 weeks old), so take her up to dark room. If I put her in cot she cries.
I Have tried with silence, Ewan Sheep, mobile, shushing, straight into cot, feeding, not feeding, cuddles (with rocking, patting, shushing).
She never just falls asleep. It takes 1 -2 hours before she falls asleep (with lots of putting down, crying so pick up and start again).
Help, what I am doing wrong??
TIA

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 24-Jul-16 21:45:42

Sounds like baby is over tired by the time you're putting her down, that's why it's taking so long.....I'm speaking from bitter experience!!!
Yawning is one of the late sleep cues.
How long are you keeping her awake for feeds/changes/play time before you try to put her down to sleep again?
At that age, my Dd could only handle being awake for 1hr-1.5hrs maximum - just enough time to feed, wind, change, bit of playmat/bouncer time before she was ready to sleep again. I obviously knew that babies need to sleep a lot...I just had no idea it was as much as it is!! I learned after weeks and weeks of what you describe, plus very unsettled nights, and spending majority of my day rocking and shushing a crying baby, that I needed to be putting her down to sleep a hell of a lot sooner than I was!

YellowSquirrel Mon 25-Jul-16 00:59:24

Her 1st yawn is usually around 1.5 - 2.5 hours after waking. Before that she seems happy and active with no obvious tired signs.
I will try going upstairs and putting her to bed after 1 hour awake tomorrow. But yeah feels like all I do is be in a dark room rocking a baby!!

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 25-Jul-16 07:07:27

I know that feeling all too well flowers
I would definitely try putting her down sooner. 2.5hrs is probably way too long, and these strange creature's little brains don't work like ours do! I remember saying to my husband "she's tired, why won't she just sleep!".....but it really doesn't work that way 😫😫 and then I had all the really "helpful" advice from my mum: "keep her awake longer in the evenings, she will sleep longer at night!".....when actually, the exact opposite is true!! The more sleep she gets, the easier it will become to put her down smile

graysor Mon 25-Jul-16 08:57:34

My Dd is now 7 months and I have never managed to 'put her down ' for a nap. As you describe no amount of putting down shushing patting picking up etc will make her go to sleep. Very early on I realised she just needed to be close to me. All naps are in the sling or on my lap ( or sometimes in the buggy ).

At 10 weeks I would stop wasting away your days in a darkened room and hold your lovely baby while she sleeps. There is plenty of time to try again with sleeping in the cot when she's a bit older.

YellowSquirrel Mon 25-Jul-16 11:29:32

Glad I am not alone.
Graysorry - if I let her sleep in my arms she wakes if I try to sit down or make noise (like doing dishes). However once I eventually get her to sleep and gently into cot she will sleep for 1-2 hours. It's just the getting to that point.

On a plus note - she just held a toy for the first time! Probably accidentally but still cool!!

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 25-Jul-16 11:54:43

Yellow my Dd used to do that too! She would fall asleep in my arms or in a sling....then if I tried to sit down or even just stand still, she would wake and start screaming again hmm
Hope it's going a bit better today smile

Fomalhaut Tue 26-Jul-16 15:38:24

Rock, feed, cuddle to sleep. Then place in cot.
Eventually, do it when they are slightly sleepy then bit by bit move to doing it when they are sleepy but awake.
10 weeks is tiny. Just do whatever it takes and what works for you.

YellowSquirrel Tue 26-Jul-16 17:03:37

Had a slightly better day today. By taking her upstairs to bedroom when still happy and active, rather than waiting for yawns. Fallen asleep after 20 - 30 mins rocking, then into cot (for 2 naps, other nap was normal crying for hour before sleep...).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now