17 weeks baby sleep change- regression? Heat?

(8 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Thu 21-Jul-16 01:43:33

Until the last 3 days my 17 week old has woken once in the night to feed. Last feed about 2100/2130 then a feed somewhere between 0300-0400, straight back to sleep until 0730-0800..
... But 3 nights ago he started waking twice: midnight then 0400 then up 0730 (last night woke at 0200 then up for the day at 0615) and tonight this is his first feed 0130..why?

Is he more hungry because of the sudden hot weather? Or my worry is this could be the 4 month sleep regression? How does the 4 month sleep regression present? He's straight back to sleep after the feed so seems genuinely hungry and is feeding fully from both boobs.

Really hoping he goes back to how he was confused

Longlost10 Thu 21-Jul-16 02:47:44

Sorry, but why would you expect a baby to sleep for that long? and even if you do have a freakishly long sleeping baby, why would you expect him to sleep through this heat? I can see why you are hoping he will go back to how he was! You won the jackpot for the first 4 months! I think it would be expecting a bit much for that to continue for ever, in fact would be slightly concerned if a toddler slept that much!!

Longlost10 Thu 21-Jul-16 02:49:28

lol, you certainly hit the jackpot for the first 4 months! Maybe he will go back to sleeping this much, but no one is sleeping in this heat. And it is a freakishly long sleep for a baby, unlikely to last

icklekid Thu 21-Jul-16 03:12:42

longlost how is 9pm-7.30am long for a toddler?

op no one can tell you if its sleep regression or heat. Possibly a combination of both! If he's thirsty (which he will be in this heat!) You need to continue to feed and sadly it may become habit/new normal even when not as hot. However everything with babies is a phase and it will change again soon enough. Eg. At some point will go to sleep earlier then you could try dream feed around 10ish and might only wake once again in night. Just be glad that he does go back to sleep easly for now!

StepfauxWife Thu 21-Jul-16 03:12:56

My DD2 is 17 weeks too and was sleeping along similar lines to yours (although not reliably!). She has already been up at 12:45 and 2:45. Not feeding lots but just needing to resettle.

I imagine it's the heat if he is feeding fully. If I remember rightly from last time, the 4 month sleep regression involved more re-settling than feeding.

It's great that he's going straight back to sleep.

puglife15 Thu 21-Jul-16 03:31:33

Yep that's classic 4 month regression, probably made worse by heat.

You were v lucky to have only one wake up before this.

DS1 was sleeping through 10 hours straight before he hit 6 months, once the regression was over.

by 7 months he was waking 2-3 times again

Longlost10 Thu 21-Jul-16 05:11:53

how is 9pm-7.30am long for a toddler?

I do know some toddlers who have slept this long, but very much in the minority, certainly no one in my family, my DC, DNs etc didn't manage 10 hours unbroken sleep until school age. of course, now they are teenagers its a whole other story!

Seriously, the expectation that toddlers will not wake in the night, or will stay in bed past 6am is just setting a load of parents up for frustration and disappointment .Some might many won't

Loraline Thu 21-Jul-16 05:29:45

Lots of toddlers sleep through. But weird to say you'd be concerned about it confused

As for the op, could be growth spurt, or heat or any number of things but at this age sleep 'patterns' are pretty fluid and will change and evolve I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now