Baby congestion - am I missing something?

(12 Posts)
adjsavedmylife Mon 11-Jul-16 10:45:17

DS1 is 20 weeks. He has always been v v congested. No tonsil/adenoids issues according to GP. He was a month early, had silent reflux then started teething at 11 weeks. He seems in constant discomfort from the teeth and the worst pain late arvo/evening. He's never been a great sleeper but it's getting worse and worse. He's too big to sleep comfortably on my chest now and can't roll so I shouldn't put him on his front. But often it's the only way he'll sleep so I end up awake watching him. Even then he often gets agitated and has just started repeatedly turning his head from one side to the other.

I have tried:
- cot wedge hog
- saline
- eucalyptus oil in burner
- vaporiser
- baby Vicks on feet/chest
- offering a feed (BF) whenever he wakes to help with mucous etc. This is never refused
- v regular hoovering, dusting, changing of bedding

It all helps a bit but not enough. Is there anything else I could try? Or am I missing something - could it be something else eg 4 month regression/growth spurt? Hay fever?

He is genuinely trying to sleep but woken from the grunting/choking/gurgling and I am so frustrated for both of us...

Thank you!

Crazylou Mon 11-Jul-16 21:58:56

I totally understand my little one is 15 months now he was constantly suffering and still is suffering from congestion on and off he's had 6 chest infections and recently lung infection due to it, I've tried everything including steam from sitting in shower room, he's just recently came of dairy products as this was causing it to get worse and causing loads tummy pain, the doctors suspect asthma but can't test that until older, I've went through he'll of sleepless nights, I've asked for referral to paediatric

Ifnotherethenwhere Mon 11-Jul-16 22:26:36

Have you got a snot-sucker? We have the 'nose frieda' and it is disgusting, but great at getting the snot out. Usual routine is to use saline (spray better than drops - Calpol do one that's suitable from birth) then wait a few minutes before using the sucker. Repeat as necessary. I'd also always give squirts of saline before breastfeeding

adjsavedmylife Wed 13-Jul-16 21:46:00

Thanks both. We have a snot sucker but it doesn't pick up much normally, only really during a cold. It is only a v basic model though...will take s look at what else is out there!

Crazylou that sounds really hard, I hope your little one improves soon x

Acorncat Wed 13-Jul-16 22:32:37

Mine has/had a dairy intolerance which caused congestion and silent reflux - they were his main symptoms. Much better once I cut out dairy. He's now almost 2 and although seems to be tolerating some dairy he's getting congested at night again.

adjsavedmylife Thu 14-Jul-16 16:10:11

Interesting..how long did you cut out dairy before you could tell it was that?

familyfarm Thu 14-Jul-16 16:49:47

Could it be hayfever?

Crazylou Thu 21-Jul-16 10:08:54

My little one started improving once I took him off dairy products he started sleeping better but now he has tonsilitis and middle ear infection with congesting he just seems to get ill constantly am waiting to see pediatrics regarding it as my niece was the same and was lactose intolerant and had to get her adenoids removed

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 21-Jul-16 12:51:31

I also have a baby who hasaid dairy allergy and has all the symptoms you described...congestion, grunting, reflux. I would definitely suggest going dairy free. Dairy takes 3 weeks to fully leave your system but you should see results within a few days. If I remember correctly the congestion was one of the first things to improve

Abby21 Thu 21-Jul-16 20:14:48

Yes sounds like CMPI.....Google it for symptoms. Dairy free for while and see if helps. It could be causing the reflux or that could be an extra. Is he on medication? Reflux is often confused with teething....but usually need to treat reflux.

adjsavedmylife Sun 24-Jul-16 07:09:04

Am giving it a try!

adjsavedmylife Sun 24-Jul-16 07:10:40

Abby21 he was on ranitidine but his reflux has massively improved so we took him off...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now