Fed up of the 30 minute naps...& shes nearly 1!

(12 Posts)
Tinks15 Mon 04-Jul-16 14:18:41

DD is one in two weeks. Does anyone have any advice/tips/reasons why she is still only napping for 30 minutes at a time? I wouldnt mind so much but she is so moany after she has woken up she is clearly still tired. So why wont she sleep for longer???

splendide Mon 04-Jul-16 16:04:10

I don't know about why but I can share what worked for me. We did co-sleeping naps for about a month at that age, or a bit younger I think. So we'd lie together on a mattress on the floor in DS' bedroom and go to sleep together and if he stirred I'd shhh, dummy, boob, whatever required him back to sleep. Worked like magic - he started doing 2-3 hours.

Then for a while I would put him down in his cot but if he woke before about 2 hours I would whip him out and get back on the mattress.

GothicRainbow Tue 05-Jul-16 08:35:09

Haven't got any advice I'm afraid but also struggling with 30min naps with DS2 (15 weeks) doesn't help that I have a very noisy DS1 and haven't yet managed to get DS2 sleeping in his cot in his room.

Tinks15 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:36:35

Bump. Anyone else have this?

BeenThereTooSEL Tue 05-Jul-16 22:39:10

My DD is one at the end of the month and we only have 30 min naps whereas my friends babies have 1-2 hours!!!!!

Cakescakescakes Tue 05-Jul-16 22:40:35

My ds2 was like this. He is nearly 2 and an average nap for him is about 45 minutes. He has never had a 1.5-2 hr nap like ds1 used to. I tried everything and he has just been like this. Ds1 used to have a 2-3 hr nap at age 18 months. Ds2 has 45 mins if I'm lucky. At nearly 2 he only naps 2 or 3 days a week. Nearly ready to drop it. My two boys are just proof that some kids sleep more than others! (And yes he often cried after naps because he was still tired but he just would not sleep any more!)

Tinks15 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:40:50

Sorry thanks both. I would of definitely tried the mattress thing if she was a bit younger but there is no way she would lie next to me now and drift off.

She is only have x2 30 minute naps a day now! Surely that isnt normal for 11 month old.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 05-Jul-16 22:42:29

It's all my DD had, it drove me crazy. But she slept really well at night.

She gave up naps completely at about 14 months confused

Tinks15 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:43:28

Phew! I'm soooooo pleased my DD isnt the only one. Thanks both for responding!

Gillian1980 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:23:02

My DD is almost 1 and she tends to only have 2 X 30 minute naps a day. Very, very occasionally she will have a longer nap (usually when she's with daddy! hmm )

It is a bit frustrating, especially as all naps are on me still, but she sleeps so well at night that I've never bothered to work on it.

TooTiredToTidy Mon 11-Jul-16 20:18:05

Yes my DS did this, actually he was worse he started at 20 minutes. I did the Baby Whisperer wake to sleep technique and he went to 30, 45, 1 hour and eventually 1.5-2 hours!

It basically means you go in and wake them about 5 mins before they'd normally wake up to reset their sleep cycle. By wake I mean you gently jostle so they know they've been moved but not enough to actually fully wake them. I have to admit sometimes he would wake up and I'd be so annoyed even though it was only 5 mins less than his normal nap time but I persevered and it worked.

He's still not a great night sleeper but his daytime naps did get better!

24hourM0MMY Tue 12-Jul-16 18:55:54

In the same boat here. DD is 8.5 months and we had a (short) time where she would do a 2-3 hour nap anywhere between 12 and 3 and that has pretty much disappeared. I don't know what has changed. It's driving me insane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now